Tempered Glass for the 950xl

nicktramontin

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I attached the StilGut glass screen protectors last night, you get 2 in a pack and we now have 2 x 950XLs in the house so had 2 attempts.

The first I fitted to my wife's 950xl which she only got on Christmas Day so hasn't seen a lot of use and this has adhered pretty well, not 100% perfect but we are only talking a few areas of maybe 1mm max where it is lifting at the moment (it is less than 24 hours since fitting though).

The second I fitted on my 950xl which I've had since the beginning of December and it didn't stick properly from the beginning in 3 of the corners (was fine around the camera corner). It isn't exactly the corners more so along the length of the phone in a semi-circle like a partial finger print starting in the corner. It also lifted slightly at the bottom edge in two places. I attempted to keep pressure on these areas for a few hours but this didn't help. I then attempted a re-fit of the screen protector but cleaning the corners even more as I was paranoid this was where I was holding the phone and I somehow caused the issue. A refit though went on exactly as before :( I've also got a Mozo case on mine but I don't think it is anything to do with the phone twisting slightly or anything, it must be the glass itself.

I wonder if the screens on the phone differ slightly if they were from different batches!?

I got these from Amazon UK but not direct, from StilGut directly. Amazon have offered a refund if I send them back but unsure about sending back a box with some used screen protectors in. I wouldn't normally bother but with delivery these came to ?24 which is quite pricey for something which isn't perfect.

I also have a pack of TechGear protective films for the phone which cost less than ?2 but not keen on fitting these as I don't want to compromise the feel of the phone too much.

revolvet

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Confirm that the screen is NOT flat. It's curved (concave-down parabolic). So, don't buy tempered glass as it will never fit the screen, unless the screen is defective by manufacturing.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Not sure it's really needed. Mine took a heavy pounding and it's fine. Gorilla glass 4 is much more flexible. You can almost feel it when sliding fingers. It's not hard glass like 3.

Marsiss Tian

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
For the protectors blocking the iris scanner, is it OK?
Mine did not block the scanner, but it is lifting. And when I visited AT&T store, the clerk was trying hard to push it down and I had to remind him that it's not his fault, lol.

Marsiss Tian

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Not sure it's really needed. Mine took a heavy pounding and it's fine. Gorilla glass 4 is much more flexible. You can almost feel it when sliding fingers. It's not hard glass like 3.

Do not touch any metals, then your screen is fine. Mine was scratched probably by my lumia 920 within a week. My old 920 was only scratched by my keys and it was totally OK after dropping off onto tile floors for several times.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have tried 2 glass screen protectors, ICarez and Fosman. Thought they are both excellent products, I have the same issue of the corners not sticking, so I have to agree with others that at least some 950XL screens are not completel flat. I guess I will live with the bubbles in the corners and see if anybody comes out with a glass protector that has stronger adhesive.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Just an update on my experience. This is a Supershieldz protector and Cimo Premium case installed on 12/18/2015. I previously posted on 12/23/2015 showing a little lift in the upper left corner. See Post #18. This is the lift state today. Little, if any, change:

Lumia950XL_CornerLift_20160102.JPG

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Not hating, but I see that kind of comment all the time. Thing is, the screen is an insurance policy against anomalies. I have never broken mine, but I work in an office environment, so my risks are less. But, I have got several little scratches on my 920. Wish I'd got a suitable cover for that.

xtrememanix

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
i just purchased this for my lumia 950xl .

looking at it, it is thinner and has one edge of the glass cut off.

i hope that this will hopefully lessen the effect of the edge not sticking . (3 edges instead of 4 edges . heheh)

HTB1SqHhLXXXXXXzXXXXq6xXFXXX5.jpg

Simon Hefford

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
I think there is no need to protect the screen. pasting something on it is ugly. smartphone screens seldom damaged in normal use.

As I have said before, I've read several post on here folks commenting on screen scratches purely from accidently popping there 950 into the same pocket as there car keys, easy mistake to make, enough reason for me I think

ale2999

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have the incipio tempered glass protector. It was perfect for a month and a bit. Bottom right corner is now lifting. Tried to lift it to clean it, but no luck

Simon Hefford

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
CONCLUSION : Don't waste time with tempered glass it will lift in corner.

Don't waste time with Skinomi Gel protectors either if you intend to use a case of any kind, it will push up the edges of the skin.

Just buy good old standard screen protectors, the type you can get 3 for ?2 and they work great, yes you will probably muck up one of of three putting them on and after six weeks or so you may need to replace it, but for 3 for ?2 and they look great when on, why bother wasting higher costs on the so called better products that are in effect no good on this model.

Let my waste of money to get to this point save you some :D

Cheers

georg_t_turbo

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
I did try also several products, Stillgut and CROCFOL. Stillgut doesn't glue on the Corners, CROCFOL is no glass, it's plastic and all over it plastic you see your own finger prints, there is no surface finish to keep the finger prints away - but CROCFOL does glue and somehow that plastic can break to, but it is rather something simliar to fiberglass.
But I found Protomax Schutzglas at Amazon Germany it does the Job as it is supposed to do it
PROTOMAX Schutzglas f?r Microsoft Lumia 950 XL: Amazon.de: Elektronik

Last edited:

Y C Neo

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I've been using the Nillkin Amazing H+ Pro 0.2mm Tempered Glass for coming to 2 months, perfect sticking, no lifting edge issue :)

WP_20160414_10_47_29_Rich.jpg
WP_20160414_10_47_05_Rich.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster