Who is planning on getting the Lumia 650?

trivishal

May 1, 2015
Visit site
With Snapdragon 212 processor, Lumia 650 won't be no much better in performance and graphics than Lumia 550, would consider Lumia 650 if it came with Snapdragon 415 or 425 processor, well soundspeaker, camera and design.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I would pick one up if it is under $200 unlocked (under $99 if sold as a Go Phone, or on Cricket like the 640) and is an improvement in performance over the 640, specifically in the camera. If they took the camera from an 830 and put it in 640, that would be a great budget phone to me.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
It's not cheaper new, and the specs are rumored so far, but yes the 1520 will have better specs. I don't think you can really compare the two.

maxmin

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 650, regardless of whether aimed at Business, should at least be a minor upgrade from the 640 otherwise what's the point of the numbering scheme? I don't want to upgrade to a flagship device and the 550 is too low end. The Lumia 640, for me at least, is the current 'Goldilocks' device but if the CPU in the newer 650 is not an improvement then there wouldn't anywhere to go, at least for some time.

The specs look pretty similar to the current 640. I think the big reason for the "new" model is that it will be pre-installed with Windows 10. Even though the 640 is upgradable ( I have been running Win 10 Insider on mine for a month and no major issues) many people are put off by needing to upgrade. And many corp IT types do not want to subject their fellow employees with need to upgrade right away. The 650 will be out of the box, ready to go with a fairly stable Win 10 OS by late Feb or March. It seems the Lumia x5x models all come with Win 10 installed.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
The specs look pretty similar to the current 640. I think the big reason for the "new" model is that it will be pre-installed with Windows 10. Even though the 640 is upgradable ( I have been running Win 10 Insider on mine for a month and no major issues) many people are put off by needing to upgrade. And many corp IT types do not want to subject their fellow employees with need to upgrade right away. The 650 will be out of the box, ready to go with a fairly stable Win 10 OS by late Feb or March. It seems the Lumia x5x models all come with Win 10 installed.
I can understand it coming pre-installed with Windows 10 as being a plus, but why the downgrade in CPU? I'm certainly not one of those who thinks they should have an Octocore in every phone, but one would think it should at least be comparable.

The biggest issue though, seems that it doesn't have LTE according to Venturebeat. Unless it's a bottom of the barrel phone, they shouldn't even be coming to market without LTE anymore. I certainly wouldn't even consider a phone without LTE now.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Continuum is now a "must have" feature for me. I will likely recommend the 650 to friends & family but my phone of choice will continue to be the 950XL until something better is available.

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Upgraded my 630 for a 640 when I should of waited.The 650 is gonna need at least a 410 processor for me to upgrade again.If they cut a load of corners again,I'll have to seriously think about moving to android

Why I think a 640 is a great phone for the price I think you would have to pay more for an android device that works just as well. And most android devices never get updated.

MrRichardF

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Wireless charging makes it tempting. If the SoC is a Snapdragon 4**, I'm sold. If it isn't... I'll pass. I feel sorry for the team responsible for designing the phone so nicely only to have a cost-cutting Snapdragon 212 shoved in it.

OneillM

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
The fact that it is highly unlikely that it will not come with Windows Hello is a real turn off for me.
Although the new metallic design of it is very nice way better than the plastic body older lumias.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm a BlackBerry refugee. BB10 is dying a slow and painful death (in retrospect it was DOA) and I have tried numerous times force myself to like Android, but I just can't do it.

I am very cost-conscious when it comes to the tech I use. I refuse to get locked into a contract or go into debt over a phone, so I prefer to buy mine off-contract and use a MVNO (Ting).

If money were no object for me, I'd probably get an iPhone or a Lumia 950 XL. But money IS a concern for me and there are many, many things I'd rather spend money on than a phone.

Low and mid-range Windows phones hit a sweet spot as far as bang-for-the-buck. I used a Lumia 521 as my daily driver a couple years back and was thoroughly impressed at what I got for my money.

If the renders are true, I think the Lumia 650 looks fantastic. It'll be the best-looking Windows 10 phone so far. The specs don't concern me nearly as much as real-world performance. Windows phones are known for getting a lot out of low-end hardware, so I'm not really concerned.

If it is around $200 off-contract and they sell an unlocked GSM model, I'll very seriously consider getting one.

So I'm definitely leaning "yes" on this one.

Furt

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm a BlackBerry refugee. BB10 is dying a slow and painful death (in retrospect it was DOA) and I have tried numerous times force myself to like Android, but I just can't do it.

I am very cost-conscious when it comes to the tech I use. I refuse to get locked into a contract or go into debt over a phone, so I prefer to buy mine off-contract and use a MVNO (Ting).

If money were no object for me, I'd probably get an iPhone or a Lumia 950 XL. But money IS a concern for me and there are many, many things I'd rather spend money on than a phone.

Low and mid-range Windows phones hit a sweet spot as far as bang-for-the-buck. I used a Lumia 521 as my daily driver a couple years back and was thoroughly impressed at what I got for my money.

If the renders are true, I think the Lumia 650 looks fantastic. It'll be the best-looking Windows 10 phone so far. The specs don't concern me nearly as much as real-world performance. Windows phones are known for getting a lot out of low-end hardware, so I'm not really concerned.

If it is around $200 off-contract and they sell an unlocked GSM model, I'll very seriously consider getting one.

So I'm definitely leaning "yes" on this one.

suuuper off-topic, but how it Ting? windows phone's data saver feature made me thing about looking into ting and get off the $45 straight talk plan.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
suuuper off-topic, but how it Ting? windows phone's data saver feature made me thing about looking into ting and get off the $45 straight talk plan.
Coverage is not as good because it uses T-Mobile towers and Straight Talk uses AT&T. Also, if you use a lot of data Ting can be more expensive than Straight Talk. I like Ting because it gives me more control over what I pay each month and I only pay for what I use. Their customer service is also the best I've experienced with any carrier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss