Mircosoft Lumia 950: By far worst experience with a smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

asoyemi

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Just like you, I read his thread and found out, all he had is potentially a defective sample, He made seems like no product line in the world has defective sample as such title his beef, "By Far The worst experience ever"I tell you what, return it, Go buy yourself an Android or iPhone that never ship ANY Defective Product. I bet that is what you were trying to hear, now you heard it. FYI: I have a gorgeous 950XL and by George, love it, If it had come defective, I would have taken it to the store for exchange without whining.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Sorry this has been a rough experience. Hopefully this last reinstall works for you. Otherwise, I agree return it and get another anything.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Just like you, I read his thread and found out, all he had is potentially a defective sample, He made seems like no product line in the world has defective sample as such title his beef, "By Far The worst experience ever"I tell you what, return it, Go buy yourself an Android or iPhone that never ship ANY Defective Product. I bet that is what you were trying to hear, now you heard it. FYI: I have a gorgeous 950XL and by George, love it, If it had come defective, I would have taken it to the store for exchange without whining.

I don't think that is what OP was saying. He is actually looking for help to make his device work.

dxdy

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
i purchased Lumia 950 XL in Germany... i do first flash with WPRT, after that update to .29 and do hard reset... now my 950XL work like charm... no problems at all.. problem with back cover i solved very cheap: with TPU silicon case...

wing-a-ding

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Sorry this has been a rough experience. Hopefully this last reinstall works for you. Otherwise, I agree return it and get another anything.

Thanks cragor for your moral support in this thread.

Unfortunately this last install has once again failed with same error. Looks like I'll be heading back into town tomorrow for a replacement 950

wing-a-ding

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all those who offered words of support and suggestions to help fix my issues with the 950.

Apologies to those who were upset by the title of this thread. Wasn't trashing the device, just the experience I was having with this one device I was sold.

Hopefully the store will have a replacement in stock and I can give the 950 another try.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know why the Windows Device Recovery Tool says I'm on latest OS when there is an update to .29 available on my device

And is there a way of getting the .29 update on Windows Device Recovery Tool to install on the device?

Haven't gone through the entire thread yet, you could try navifirm. However I'm not sure if the Roms would be available that quickly. As it usually it takes about 1 to 3 weeks for it to populate (depending on phone model).

Also do you have an msd card installed?

If so, have you tried without it?

If you have, then I would suggest returning it for a replacement :). Good luck, hopefully the replacement unit doesn't give you the same bother.

deezus

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
So, I had issues using the recovery tool on my WiFi too and it was either my Netgear nighthawk router or the 950. I was trying to use 5g wireless , I had to use 2.4 GHz wireless to download update and even then got that same error. It was frustrating.

Adrian Gell

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Wing-a-ding - When you get this sorted, please sign up for the Insider program? Could use more people who are willing to put a few minutes feedback in to help improve the platform if you run into future issues.

butarra

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Just purchased Microsoft Lumia 950 (unlocked) in UK.

Current OS build on the device is 10.0.10586.0. Originally no updates were showing available until I conducted a factory reset.

.29 update is available but device unable to update. Download stuck on 0%. Have tried factory resetting phone several time to no avail. Is factory reset same as hard reset?

Got 0x800705b4 error once, when I left the device downloading for several hours. Checked internet but no one seems to know what generates this error code and how to resolve it. At least none that I have found.

Downloaded Windows Device Recovery Tool but it just shows that I have the latest OS on my Lumia and that this is the same as that on the server despite there being the .29 update showing available on my device.

Can't believe how buggy this OS is, especially coming from a major software company.

How is it that some people on this forum seem to have no issues updating the OS on their Lumia 950 and yet others are stuck on downloading it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Ok, this is how I solved the error issue and the inability to update on my Microsoft Lumia 950XL

(NB the Windows Device Recovery Tool couldn't recognize my device)

(0. Register your product to your Hotmail/ Outlook account first, to access the list of your apps later)

1. I did a HARD reset
2. Plugged in wall charger and keep it plugged in for the duration of this process (i also recommend directing a small fan on the phone to dissipate heat during this process)
3. Turned on the option to allow downloads via own data / it may work with Wifi as well
4. Turn on data and or Wifi (if you have wifi)
5. Deleted Pending Apps via the Windows store (as they are crap and potentially blocking the update)
6. Press "update" to update the phone (if you press and nothing happens, reboot your phone)
7. and WAIT, you may have to wait an hour before anything happens

Hopefully the above steps will work for you :)

NB. Update resolved some of my issues that came "out of the box" including, overheating and fast battery drain. I highly recommend the update, for the 950XL as the first thing you do once it comes out of the box before you add all your apps, contacts etc - AND THIS SHOULD BE A STICKER STUCK ON THE PHONE BY MICROSOFT DIRECTING PEOPLE TO UPDATE THE PHONE, WHICH WILL RESOLVE MANY QUERIES AND RESOLVE MANY ISSUES BEFORE WASTING PEOPLES TIME AND MONEY.

Last edited:

purefire21

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that you know it's a update out there and now you are trying to force your new phone to update. The average people don't got for updating there phone out the box if the phone doesn't presents a update. You creating your own problems for being update greedy

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
-_-

Not getting an update immediately is not remotely on the level of a phone bricking itself or losing data... Both of which I've had happen to me on iOS on multiple occasions. Hyperbole more please.

Yes, it sucks, but you can either wait, try workarounds already provided or return the phone.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Connect your device to charger as update requires 40% up juice. When 10586.29 update stuck at 0%, just patience (At least it works for me, it takes more than half an hour to move forward).

I have no major issue with this build, battery life is fine.

differently this, when you are at 0% that means its working.

you dont have to keep fiddling with it! how many times did you hard reset this poor thing? if you do not know how to use the device, do not complain.

Just let the device be for a while.

Well, it's been 4hrs since the update process started and it's only now preparing to install.

Not sure why it would take this long to download an update. Even downloading the OS on the Windows Device Recovery Tool and re-installing the OS doesn't take half this long.

Not holding out hope that the process will succeed.

I am starting to think that the problem you are facing is with the internet connection, not your phone.

which country are you from? what type is your router? who is your ISP?

Last edited by a moderator:

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all those who offered words of support and suggestions to help fix my issues with the 950.

Apologies to those who were upset by the title of this thread. Wasn't trashing the device, just the experience I was having with this one device I was sold.

Hopefully the store will have a replacement in stock and I can give the 950 another try.

You should get a replacement. You have a defective device no doubt.

My experience with the 950 has been almost trouble-free.
I had two annoying problems with it. The first during the first time setup, the restore from backup from my previous Lumia 830 messed the phone up big time with non-responsive apps, reboots, etc. Had to reset to factory and set it up without restoring the backup. Was no big deal really.
Second thing was the battery.. had to charge it a couple of times a day for the first week. After that it got a little better, and after the 2 latest updates it last almost 24 hours with normal use.

Point is, you should not have this much problems. Has to be a faulty device.

William Grafton

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I feel like I have two different phones. It's a dual sim 950xl. I call them Lumia Jekyll and Lumia Hyde. Yesterday I used my phone for 36 minutes for phone calls and NOTHING ELSE. It was plugged in for 16 and a half hours out of an 18 hour stretch and the battery almost died on me 3 times. Being plugged into the wall while talking on the phone I lost 10% of my battery life. I lost the use of one of my two sim cards for about 5 hours that I know of. Bluetooth was going nuts and not properly connecting in my car. Also, I could have cooked eggs on my phone from the moment I picked it up off the charger in the morning until I finally turned it off in disgust at 8PM. Today, it's a different story. Not running hot. Both sim slots are working (though one gives me 4 bars while the other has only 2 and yes they're on the same network.) and my battery isn't disappearing. As far as apps, updates, & usage, NOTHING HAS CHANGED.

kingjah

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
After building computers for 10+ years, I firmly believe these issues are caused by slightly faulty hardware. for example I would have a graphics card that was causing BSODs and other issues that would go away when it was replaced by an identical card. However the first card worked very well after a new driver update became available at a later date. I have experienced this many times where I had shelved a component only to find it working quite well after 6 months of so. My advice to you would be to get a replacement phone if you don't want to wait for firmware and driver updates to become available. I also understand there is an availability issue with these phone so that could also be potentially disheartening.

janner113

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I have had the same problem. I've tried soft and hard resets several different times and still have not been able to install the .29 update. I'm going to ATT today and if they can't help am going try the Windows Store. I like the phone but am concerned: if I can't get this update, what about the one that is supposed o be coming out next month!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6