Mircosoft Lumia 950: By far worst experience with a smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
LOL why should he return it, it's just the title of the thread that is stupid. He has problems downloading an update and there are workarounds, oh my god I can't get an update worst experience with a smartphone ever :D
Exactly what I was thinking! I'd love to be working through these issues he has because it would mean I could get my hands on a Lumia 950 in the first place! Darn Verizon doesn't support them at all and I was stuck with a 2 year old Lumia Icon. I'm on an iPhone 6sPlus for now and hope Verizon supports a new Windows 10 phone next year!

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Wing-a-ding - When you get this sorted, please sign up for the Insider program? Could use more people who are willing to put a few minutes feedback in to help improve the platform if you run into future issues.
Seriously? You want a user who has a little update challenge and calls it the worst experience ever on a smartphone on the Insider Program? I think that just means there'll be lots of complaining when something that is actually a bug comes along....

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
LOL why should he return it, it's just the title of the thread that is stupid. He has problems downloading an update and there are workarounds, oh my god I can't get an update worst experience with a smartphone ever :D

I think you missed the part where he said it was stuck in Airplane mode:

my device/the OS seems to be buggy/faulty. Currently, the device appears stuck on airplane mode but can still get wifi.
When I select Settings, then System when I try to select Phone the device appears to pause and then sends me back to the Apps List.

So something is happening with the SIM where it's not registering on the network and he can't make a call out of the box. Faulty software update notwithstanding, it should be able to connect to a carrier and make a call out of the box. Hence we recommend he return it and exchange.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I see no problem with the thread title, although it might have been clarified by adding the word "my". I think, though, that the OP is clearly referring to his own experience with the phone. I do sympathize, though, with people who have problems with their newly purchased electronics. At the same time I would caution people about jumping to the conclusion that this is only a Microsoft problem. I am a high school technology teacher and I've had a steady stream of students bring me their Galaxies and iPhones that they're having serious problems with. Sometimes I'm able to help, sometimes not. They are all as frustrated as the OP when they come to me. If I'm not able to help, I advise them to return the phone if it's a new purchase. Unfortunately, these are problems that will persist because of the sophistication of modern electronics and software. Sometimes I'm far more amazed that so many work well than than that there are occasional serious problems.

wing-a-ding

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Just an update:

I took my 950 in and got it replaced for another 950. Tested it in store and Sim was recognised.

Got it home and managed to update OS to .29 and then using the Insider App, got .36 installed.

Been playing around and trying to set the device up.

Have transferred some custom ringtones over but there appears to be an issue selecting a ringtone within the Settings/Personalisation/Sounds. Scrolling through the drop down 9/10 causes the settings to crash and get thrown back to Start screen. Even deleted the custom ringtones but does the same with the standard ringtones. Scrolling fast seems to cause this.

Also noticed that even though I have set a pin and turned on Windows Hello, if you swipe the lockscreen up as soon as the screen turns on, it will by-pass both Windows Hello and the pin.

Still getting used to the layout of the OS having been using mainly iOS and Android last 3yrs or so.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Bro after u set windows hello...there is a timer even i was confused with it...u can set it the way u want....i kept it at 5 mins...

desitunez

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Nothing new here , lot of devices are faulty . Poor OOB expereince for many users.

Amazon Germany have stopped selling these devices and advise they are faulty - thats pretty embarrising for Microsoft.

This is what you can expect if there are no testers / quality control teams . All they rely on window insiders.

ITEM IS BEING INSPECTED
This item is available from various Marketplace resellers but not from Amazon.de. Customers have reported that the items in stock might be faulty or not according to their description on the website.
We are working on a fix for this problem. This item might be available through a different reseller.

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Nothing new here , lot of devices are faulty . Poor OOB expereince for many users.

Amazon Germany have stopped selling these devices and advise they are faulty - thats pretty embarrising for Microsoft.

This is what you can expect if there are no testers / quality control teams . All they rely on window insiders.

ITEM IS BEING INSPECTED
This item is available from various Marketplace resellers but not from Amazon.de. Customers have reported that the items in stock might be faulty or not according to their description on the website.
We are working on a fix for this problem. This item might be available through a different reseller.

That's the 950 XL. This is the 950 forum.

kappatau808

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to hear of your plight wing-a-ding, one SHOULD NOT have to jump through so many hoops in regards to something so simple, this plainly highlights MSs gross inconsistencies in their implementations across the board, thought the new "flagships" would fair better overall yet I'm reading way too many complaints about OS and hardware issues, definitely not for the faint-hearted... Time to walk the plank ;)

had the phone for 5 days and did factory reset through settings the hard reset with the side buttons.even after all the resets and update to .29 my 950xl was slow, losing internet connection even if i was connected to wifi or had cell reception. installing SD card made it go really warm for some reason. and installing SD card made my videos stutter. apps not opening. tried windows recovery tool but download kept stopping after a few minutes, even went to forums to fix it and nothing. finally i had 2 calls i tried to answer and screen froze. so i just went blah going to return it for now and wait a few months. could have been just a bad phone but going to see what its like in a few months if i should jump back in.. but camera was awesome, battery life improved after all the resets. apps i use were available, some 3rd party but looked like 5th graders made them with all the giant letters

wing-a-ding

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Downloaded a couple of Apps and found that they wouldn't load straight away. However after turning device off and back on, the Apps worked. Hope that's not meant to be the norm.

Device battery died overnight (about 6hrs) from fully charged. Hopefully after a few charging cycles, battery life will improve.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
had the phone for 5 days and did factory reset through settings the hard reset with the side buttons.even after all the resets and update to .29 my 950xl was slow, losing internet connection even if i was connected to wifi or had cell reception. installing SD card made it go really warm for some reason. and installing SD card made my videos stutter. apps not opening. tried windows recovery tool but download kept stopping after a few minutes, even went to forums to fix it and nothing. finally i had 2 calls i tried to answer and screen froze. so i just went blah going to return it for now and wait a few months. could have been just a bad phone but going to see what its like in a few months if i should jump back in.. but camera was awesome, battery life improved after all the resets. apps i use were available, some 3rd party but looked like 5th graders made them with all the giant letters

Yep it sounds like you may have gotten a dud but then again…

There’s so much about MS, since Denim, that is so haphazardly being put forth, only stands to reason the new 950 and 950XL would follow suit, shoot, even W10 for PCs was the worst experience I’ve ever encountered with an upgrade.

The whole affair is a shame because I personally don’t think any of this is helping the platform one bit, sure down the road things may get better yet each day missed is another day away from moving forward. It was a consideration of mine upgrading to one of the 950 series but after things appeared to be following the “same old path” we thought better of it, WP is/was appealing to me back in the W8.1 days but not in the sate it is in now, neither do I want to base my decision on the elusive “soon” because that has become like a broken record.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Downloaded a couple of Apps and found that they wouldn't load straight away. However after turning device off and back on, the Apps worked. Hope that's not meant to be the norm.

Device battery died overnight (about 6hrs) from fully charged. Hopefully after a few charging cycles, battery life will improve.

I say swap it out for a new one pronto. If u want to go to another OS I don't blame you. Why should you spend all your hard earned money for a headache of an experience. We can say what we want but I highly doubt this many ppl would be having ur types of problems on IOS (im not saying they dont have problems).

And don't listen to these ppl on here. WP fans can sometimes get very defensive about the OS. I have no idea why some ppl r giving u a hard time on this thread. Smh

Welcome to WC 😉

Joel Earnest

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm one of the lucky ones. Out of the box, I imported a backup from my 1020 and had the usual range of reported minor OS bugs. Got impatient to get x.29 and did a hard reset. I actually did two hard resets. After the first one, I couldn't access my start page. With the second one, I didn't import the 1020 backup and things have been fine since. Moreover, the x.29 update was immediately installed.
Starting fresh with no backup is fairly painless, and all my apps I've ever downloaded were listed in the Store app under My Library, where I could download what I wanted back from the list.
The only current bug that immediately comes to mind is with the Photos live tile--I can't get the slide show going of my favorites. By the way, I returned my 1020 to have the microphone problem repaired, and when I got it back, I saw it had been reset to Windows Phone 8. That original version of the Photos app sure was nice!

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
We can say what we want but I highly doubt this many ppl would be having ur types of problems on IOS (im not saying they dont have problems).

And you would be highly wrong. Remember the iPhone with the "you're holding it wrong" ? ALL manufacturers experience problems with their devices. I run a video production Mac lab at a high school. We got 24 new iMacs a couple of years ago. Within two months three had to send three back for repairs and one had the screen fall off. In addition, I had constant freezes with FCPX editing software and had to do hard resets on the computers every day. They eventually got the bugs worked out but the point is that even the company that supposedly has no problems with their devices, has serious problems with some of their devices.

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that you know it's a update out there and now you are trying to force your new phone to update. The average people don't got for updating there phone out the box if the phone doesn't presents a update. You creating your own problems for being update greedy

Two words...reading comprehension. Go back and read in detail what the OP explained in several posts. Spoiler alert: He wasn't update greedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999