Mircosoft Lumia 950: By far worst experience with a smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Paolo F

Not sure why you think the title of thread is stupid, but you're open to your opinion.

If there are workarounds, please share.

So far have factory reset the device. Many times.

Tried downloading overnight whilst on charge. Resulted in 0x800705b4 error.

Tried Windows Device Recovery Tool, re-installing OS and attempting update on device. So far downloading stuck at 0% for last 1.5hrs.

I would desperately like the download to succeed hence why I'm not yet ready to return the device.

Well because I think that I would not judge a smartphone experience by a problem with an update, thus my opinion about the title...

1st option: wait for next update and see if situation improves
2nd option: download insider app and enroll in fast ring, reboot, look for updates
3rd option: go to system-storage and delete all temp files and see if the download works
4th option: 2+3
5th option: hardreset, do not login with your microsoft account, stop all updates in store, download windows insider logging you microsoft account with the just once option and enroll in fast ring, reboot, update should show up and install.

I did 5th option and it showed.

wing-a-ding

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Kim

my device/the OS seems to be buggy/faulty. Currently, the device appears stuck on airplane mode but can still get wifi.

When I select Settings, then System when I try to select Phone the device appears to pause and then sends me back to the Apps List.

Hoped the OS updates will remedy my issues but can't install the update to .29.

May just return the device as I've had it for nearly a day and a half and have been unable to get any use out of it.

wing-a-ding

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Paolo

thank you for the suggestions.

It's not just the updates.

Ever since I got the phone, it has been stuck on airplane mode so I can't even use the device as a phone. Thought getting the update might help.

The update shows but fails to install giving the error code.

Am currently trying to install the Windows Insider app, so will be giving that a try

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Kim

my device/the OS seems to be buggy/faulty. Currently, the device appears stuck on airplane mode but can still get wifi.

When I select Settings, then System when I try to select Phone the device appears to pause and then sends me back to the Apps List.

Hoped the OS updates will remedy my issues but can't install the update to .29.

May just return the device as I've had it for nearly a day and a half and have been unable to get any use out of it.

And anyway you'd better quote posts instead of writing the name of the person at start, quoted posts show up in the control panel of the user so he will come back and see what you have to say.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to hear of your plight wing-a-ding, one SHOULD NOT have to jump through so many hoops in regards to something so simple, this plainly highlights MSs gross inconsistencies in their implementations across the board, thought the new "flagships" would fair better overall yet I'm reading way too many complaints about OS and hardware issues, definitely not for the faint-hearted... Time to walk the plank ;)

wing-a-ding

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to hear of your plight wing-a-ding, one SHOULD NOT have to jump through so many hoops in regards to something so simple, this plainly highlights MSs gross inconsistencies in their implementations across the board, thought the new "flagships" would fair better overall yet I'm reading way too many complaints about OS and hardware issues, definitely not for the faint-hearted... Time to walk the plank ;)

Thanks for your support Elky64.

I'm hoping that I will be successful in getting this device up and running and will continue with some of the suggestions posted in this thread.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your support Elky64.

I'm hoping that I will be successful in getting this device up and running and will continue with some of the suggestions posted in this thread.

We too hope your success is imminent and wish I could be of more help, have to admit I'm becoming more and more anti-MS every day, no matter how minuscule others think one’s predicament is as a whole it is hurting the platform.

wing-a-ding

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Anyone know why the Windows Device Recovery Tool says I'm on latest OS when there is an update to .29 available on my device

And is there a way of getting the .29 update on Windows Device Recovery Tool to install on the device?

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know why the Windows Device Recovery Tool says I'm on latest OS when there is an update to .29 available on my device

And is there a way of getting the .29 update on Windows Device Recovery Tool to install on the device?

Because only the .29 release has been released to the recovery tool.

I'd suggest calling support, or returning the 'worst smartphone ever'.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, you shouldn't have to put this much work in getting *A BRAND NEW PHONE, OUT OF THE BOX* to operate correctly.

Factory resets and device recovery tools, on a brand new phone?
Pssh, get outta' here with that noise.

For me, if it wasn't working right the first day of use, it would have been returned to the store the following day. I would try another unit, and if it keeps doing it, then choose something else.

You're a consumer, you don't owe Microsoft anything other than your money in exchange for their product.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
If out of the box you were stuck in Airplane mode, that's a return. It's not picking up your SIM card for some reason. Replace the unit and make sure you put your SIM card in before booting the first time.

wing-a-ding

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Honestly, you shouldn't have to put this much work in getting *A BRAND NEW PHONE, OUT OF THE BOX* to operate correctly.

For me, if it wasn't working right the first day of use, it would have been returned to the store the following day. I would try another unit, and if it keeps doing it, then choose something else.

You're a consumer, you don't owe Microsoft anything other than your money in exchange for their product.

Didn't think there would be all this trouble with a new device. Never had it before, but suppose these things happen.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I would imagine just about anyone would be a little miffed if the new device they bought (and spent a pretty penny on) could not be updated properly. However, I don't think that simply returning the device in exchange for another phone will "fix" the issue. When a device fails, you get to see the phone at its worst. Your reaction is, your reaction. If you are quick to anger, a smartphone in general may not be the best option for you.

What do you think is going to happen when a convergence device has a software update that won't take. You spend hours trying to come up with a solution. You ask for help, and maybe that help isn't too helpful or it is simply non-existent. Then you stop and think if you should have bought this particular device to begin with.

The 950 / 950 XL will have bugs. Microsoft will stamp them out and new ones will arise. Those will be addressed in time. It's the natural cycle. You are more apt to get bugs on newly released devices around launch than you are 5-6 months in the product life-cycle. If you want to try another phone and see if the issues persist, more power to you. I think what you should do is get a device that you know works / works for you and use that until the 950 has been on the market longer. Perhaps the 950's will be cheaper, perhaps not. Perhaps all of the bugs will be fixed by then, perhaps not. But by then you will see competitive offerings from other companies and you might decide to take them for a spin.

Just because you spent $xxx on a smartphone doesn't mean you are stuck with it. In the end its just a smartphone and you should not lay awake at night debating whether or not you should keep it.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Windows Insider gives me this error:

"Sorry, we cannot configure your device because it is currently preparing an update. Please install the update (Settings - phone updates) then try again"

What is incredible is that a factory reset is not helping, this is really strange. I guess it really is a faulty device, return it and get a new one asap if none of the options work for you.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site

LOL some people like to try and fix thier things before returning, we like adventure.

I also want to inform you that windows phones, like android and iphones, will always have defective units, this is a forum, people come here mainly to ask help to fix thier phone before returning it. You saying that you would not even try and fix it does not add much to the discussion. Since it really looks like his device is foobar he obviously can return it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise