Mircosoft Lumia 950: By far worst experience with a smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Downloaded a couple of Apps and found that they wouldn't load straight away. However after turning device off and back on, the Apps worked. Hope that's not meant to be the norm.

Device battery died overnight (about 6hrs) from fully charged. Hopefully after a few charging cycles, battery life will improve.

Wow man. This phone and it's replacement are worthy of your title. Feel bad for all this cr@p you have taken, but you have been a class act. Fanboys can have a very itchy trigger finger (I've been guilty in the past). I had a fantastic 920 experience and figured all of the bad press and posts about the 930 were pure fiction, so I ignored all of that and bought a 930 that slow roasted itself. Swore off the 950 and glad I did. Took all my microsoft services and decided to lay low on Sony Z5 Compact island waiting on the new Microsoft Surface phone to sail by and pick me up.

Hopefully, the battery/hardware in your latest 950 will improve (But don't put in jeopardy your ability to return the phone). The OS will only get better.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Downloaded a couple of Apps and found that they wouldn't load straight away. However after turning device off and back on, the Apps worked. Hope that's not meant to be the norm.

Device battery died overnight (about 6hrs) from fully charged. Hopefully after a few charging cycles, battery life will improve.

That's not the norm, however a firmware update was pushed out recently.

I don't suppose you were able to download that?

If so did it help?

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I donno all the fuss...i mean every manufacturer has defects....i have see dead iPhones in boxes that refuse to even start...i have a mobile shop...all I can say is phones from 20$ to 700$ all can be defective....i have seen iPhones apps crashing and lagging...and android let's not get there...
Thought iam having a smooth ride with the 950 Soo far....little so bugs are there...i did simple thing before i set it...was using 1020 for 3 years...i only backed up the contacts and started as new phone...once i was on version 36..i started using the phone...soo far very good very happy....get around 15 to 17 hrs with medium use....i also have lg g4 that nearly have same specs it last me 12 hrs with medium use...
I have set windows hello,have around 10 apps allowed in the background....
Thou compared to the speed 950 is very very fast compared to my 1020

JohnBarry2

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I feel your pain. I'm unhappy with W10 and also unhappy with the 950. I have had the 950 since it was launched in the US and i am now on my second 950, had it replaced a week ago. I have tried all available OS updates, APP updates and waiting for the firmware update but i cant stand the camera, crashing, loading, odd texting behavior, battery life, stuck lock screen, error while uploading pictures to facebook, skype with the integrated messaging is not at all streamlined, scrolling is not smooth its jumpy at times, the home screen draws the icons when scrolling fast to the bottom, dialing fast in the dial pad is actually slow, the numbers sometimes catch up to your typing and the audible tones are delayed. But my biggest issue is with the focus hunting in the camera, 2 phones with the same problem. Its a terrible experience. I had better experiences with my 920, 925 and 830. This is my last Windows phone, the hardware and software are terrible. DONE!!!!!

R3mis

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
I feel your pain. I'm unhappy with W10 and also unhappy with the 950. I have had the 950 since it was launched in the US and i am now on my second 950, had it replaced a week ago. I have tried all available OS updates, APP updates and waiting for the firmware update but i cant stand the camera, crashing, loading, odd texting behavior, battery life, stuck lock screen, error while uploading pictures to facebook, skype with the integrated messaging is not at all streamlined, scrolling is not smooth its jumpy at times, the home screen draws the icons when scrolling fast to the bottom, dialing fast in the dial pad is actually slow, the numbers sometimes catch up to your typing and the audible tones are delayed. But my biggest issue is with the focus hunting in the camera, 2 phones with the same problem. Its a terrible experience. I had better experiences with my 920, 925 and 830. This is my last Windows phone, the hardware and software are terrible. DONE!!!!!

Thanks for sharing your experience. After reading through these forums and trying Windows 10 Mobile myself I will stay on WP 8.1 with my Lumia 930. Far better combination. In fact, it is the best experience I have ever had with a smartphone.

After the phone stops working, I am not sure from which platfrom I will choose a new phone but all this suggests me not to go for a Windows Phone ever again. Maybe iOS?

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Too bad some of you are having these issues. I am having a great experience with windows 10 on my 640. I am actually to the point that I like it better than the stable 8.1.

Windows 10 on the pc/tablet was a horrible experience for mw... I guess I don't depend on my phones like someone people do. I reverted back to 8/1 on one of my tablets till I got better. If I could take my surface three back to 8.1, I would... But mu first SP3 with 8.1 completely died 2 weeks after installing 10 on it... The Microsoft store replaced it with one with 10.

With the exception of one desktop with windows 7 that us for my consulting business, my other desktop, laptops, tablets, and phone have windows 10 (where applicable). It is finally stable enough to use without missing the previous OS.

Microsoft is doing no different than most companies out there... Everyone is releasing software faster than ever as patches/updates/upgrades are so easy to push out... So the consumers are much more testers and their Voices are heard more than ever before... This is a good thin, but one to get used to. Hardware issues are another hung, but most problems and these days are software related. All companies are this way... Apple, google, etc. Thing here is that you this is was/is fairly ambitious and unstable.

Again things are much better but as good as benefits 10 promises, it has been at times hard to recommend without caveats. Even still things like the store and apps do not always work well. App Crashes, bad drivers, and other issues make this is too hands on... but in the end I am now on the much happier side. The good and great outweigh the bad and sad by far. Thankfully all is eagerly worked on and will be fixed.

Giver your feedback to Microsoft... If you are a fan, this is the beat thing we could do. I am happy more and more to stay back from the 950 for a while.... Of the few cool things, nothing is great until the OS is more stable...By that time we may know more about a panos or another windows phone.

I be live more than anytime before, we are beta testers... The 950 is the best example of that thus far. It shows all the things the future has to offer where they can get feedback to make the device that truely brings it all together. I look forward to when we can teuelybsay "the beta test is over"! Microsoft should have been a sha.e of that marking joke years ago, lol! Seriously!

Merry Christmas /Happy Holidays/have a good day to everyone :0)

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
And you would be highly wrong. Remember the iPhone with the "you're holding it wrong" ? ALL manufacturers experience problems with their devices. I run a video production Mac lab at a high school. We got 24 new iMacs a couple of years ago. Within two months three had to send three back for repairs and one had the screen fall off. In addition, I had constant freezes with FCPX editing software and had to do hard resets on the computers every day. They eventually got the bugs worked out but the point is that even the company that supposedly has no problems with their devices, has serious problems with some of their devices.

I didnt say they were problem free. This rollout has been a disaster for ALOT of ppl. I haven't known that to be the case for Apple. I think thats fair.

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
This thread represents the very best and very worst parts of this forum. The best: People bending over backwards to help someone and offering genuine advice and words of encouragement. The worst: Overly sensitive people who took one look at the thread title, never actually read the OP's complaints, and lashed out at him irrationally.
He didn't say the 950 was a bad phone. He didn't say other companies don't ever run into problems or make the occasional lemon. He said, as far as his own personal experience with phones that he has actually used, this ranks at the bottom. Given what he's experienced, it isn't hard to see why. He isn't "being impatient" or "being update greedy". He is using the phone as intended with the OS it was shipped with (an OS that should be able to be updated when an update is available).
The fact that he has actually followed through and attempted virtually all the advice offered to him should demonstrate he isn't here just to complain about Windows or Microsoft. The fact is, most typical consumers would have given up long before him. I'm personally glad he's sticking it out and I am embarrassed at some of the responses I've seen here.

arn6735

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I dont own a 950 but what i did with my 640 and 640XL was update first the Apps, then update the system if there's available while connected to the charger and after all those stuff installed the Insider then update to .29 and .36...

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I didnt say they were problem free. This rollout has been a disaster for ALOT of ppl. I haven't known that to be the case for Apple. I think thats fair.
Except, it's not fair because the iPhone 4 rollout was a disaster for many people. Forums were full of complaints about reception. Steve Jobs initial response was the "you're holding it wrong" comment. Apple eventually gave out free cases to mitigate the problem. My point stands. Every manufacturer has had what is perceived as a disastrous rollout (which usually is not a disaster for the majority of purchasers). But, that said, it doesn't make the people that are having problems feel better. I sympathize with them and believe that where forums like this can excel, users helping users.

hwangeruk

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Must be a different model 950 to the one I have. Excellent device. Battery life on par with my iPhone 6s. The updating error is often seen on devices where too many device are registered

Petru Moldovan

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I am having the best Lumia experience with my new 950XL but only after upgrading to the latest software version.
It was most of the time warm, it was able to defeat my battery after 2 or 3 hours of playing soft games or streaming TV in Edge.
But now it is different. I played hours in Age of Sparta. (it crashed just once) and meanwhile I watched Internet TV. The phone is cold like stone and the power got to 44% in more than 4 hours. Every Windows phone I had until now would have died after 3 hours after such bad treatment.
Unfortunately for the Insiders you have to do reset once again with the Windows Device Recovery Tool because else you never get the new firmware. Fortunately it works OK with a restore from a .36 backup.

wing-a-ding

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site

Just another update:

Having fully charged the 950 before heading in to work, I noticed that the device remained very warm. My 1hr journey resulted in almost 50% battery drain, so I decided to factory reset again and just set up a blank device and leave it to see if the heavy battery drain resolved itself.

To my surprise the heavy drain disappeared.

It's now been running about 12hrs from last full charge and am down to 40% battery with light use. I have Windows Hello on.

I have downloaded a couple of Apps and on this occasion installed properly without having to turn the device off and on.

Fingers crossed I've worked out most or all the gremlins and this device turns out to be a worthy replacement for my current daily driver.

wing-a-ding

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
I say swap it out for a new one pronto. If u want to go to another OS I don't blame you. Why should you spend all your hard earned money for a headache of an experience. We can say what we want but I highly doubt this many ppl would be having ur types of problems on IOS (im not saying they dont have problems).

And don't listen to these ppl on here. WP fans can sometimes get very defensive about the OS. I have no idea why some ppl r giving u a hard time on this thread. Smh

Welcome to WC 😉

Thanks for the warm welcome and support.

I'm turning to the Windows Mobile OS for a change of scenery as I have recently been running iOS and Android.

wing-a-ding

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
That's not the norm, however a firmware update was pushed out recently.

I don't suppose you were able to download that?

If so did it help?

I think a factory reset did the trick. Though I can't remember exactly how many times I have done this on the replacement 950. Possibly 3-4 times now.

Currently rocking the .36 update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss