02-03-2016 05:31 PM
53 123
tools
    Do you mind linking the thread(s) explaining how to flash new firmware on the AT&T L640 variant. I have not found the method to do so despite numerous search efforts and lots of reading.
    Try Google. Not that hard to find.
    12-24-2015 12:33 AM
    Try Google. Not that hard to find.
    Can you please add a link? I'm in the same situation as others where I researched this for several days, between this site and XDA primarily. Tmk, there is no way to do this yet - I got as far as reading up on the PLAT partition and attempting to alter a bin file using HEXEDIT, but I don't know a way to actually access that partition (or if it's even safe to do so as one could brick the device if they aren't careful). I did manage to get access to the C:\ file structure (read/write) but didn't find any way to alter any files to be able to kick off a non-AT&T firmware upgrade. Thanks!
    12-24-2015 01:28 AM
    Can you please add a link? I'm in the same situation as others where I researched this for several days, between this site and XDA primarily. Tmk, there is no way to do this yet - I got as far as reading up on the PLAT partition and attempting to alter a bin file using HEXEDIT, but I don't know a way to actually access that partition (or if it's even safe to do so as one could brick the device if they aren't careful). I did manage to get access to the C:\ file structure (read/write) but didn't find any way to alter any files to be able to kick off a non-AT&T firmware upgrade. Thanks!
    i kinda doubt he will be able to provide a legit link. ive also researched this a lot, and unless something has changed in the last couple days its just not possible yet (YET being the key word). it is possible in theory, just no one has figured out how.

but hey sleeve22 i would be absolutely delighted if you could prove me wrong :)
    12-24-2015 02:23 AM
    i kinda doubt he will be able to provide a legit link. ive also researched this a lot, and unless something has changed in the last couple days its just not possible yet (YET being the key word). it is possible in theory, just no one has figured out how.

but hey sleeve22 i would be absolutely delighted if you could prove me wrong :)
    Go **** yourself. God these forums are getting exhausting dealing with idiots.
    Kar98 likes this.
    12-24-2015 10:17 AM
    No reason to get upset. Multiple people have not found a method to flash new firmware on the AT&T L640 but you stated it could be done with some extra steps. We ask that you show us it is possible because you are the first person i have seen to say it can be done in these forums. We WANT to be able to flash new firmware. Obviously if it can be done, the information is not widely spread and by posting the links you will help disseminate it.
    charktorious and libra89 like this.
    12-24-2015 10:50 AM
    Okayyyyy, you call us all F'ing idiots but you cant back up your claims with any sort of proof. I would love to flash my 925 from ATT to T-Mo, same with picking up an ATT 640 but you seem to be the only forum god to be keeping up on tens of thousands of posts...
    theefman likes this.
    12-24-2015 11:35 AM
    Okayyyyy, you call us all F'ing idiots but you cant back up your claims with any sort of proof. I would love to flash my 925 from ATT to T-Mo, same with picking up an ATT 640 but you seem to be the only forum god to be keeping up on tens of thousands of posts...
    When I said the Here Suite could be side-loaded I got all kinds of slack. If you check my history I provided a link and many people can confirm that it is super simple to do. The negativity here at WC is becoming exhausting and I have no care in the world to defend myself. So, if you don’t believe me then don’t believe me, just don’t contact me about it. I promise I will not lose any sleep over it.
    12-24-2015 12:53 PM
    I side loaded some apps when those tools first came out, with varying results. I thought the latest W10 dropped that ability. Am I wrong on that?

But, sideloading apps is different than wholesale firmware redo. I am not asking to be a pain the butt, or question your manhood - I really am interested, because I didn't know it was possible.

If firmware can be reloaded from a different carrier, I think lots of people on non-ATT GSM's will be jumping for joy, because these phones may currently not be available to them.

For that matter, if you could overwrite Verizon's system with an ATT one for the Icon, to enable MMS and LTE, that phone would be the steal or all steals for windows phone. I'd do that in a second.
    12-24-2015 12:59 PM
    I will respond to this one and this one only. The 925 is a no-brainer. Again, hold back your negativity for a moment. To flash the AT&T 925 to T-Mo, all you need to do is flash the L920 Pre-portico Rom to the 925. Let it boot, and then when you get the error message hard reset the phone using the hardware keys. Once in reboot hold the volume up and the phone will go into flash mode. Then flash the T-Mo Rom. Proceed with caution. I know I will get comments that you cannot flash another phones rom onto the L925. I’ve done it before, if I had a 925 I would probably just live with the AT&T rom. This is how we got the Roger’s rom on our AT&T 920s and it also works with the 820.
    12-24-2015 01:14 PM
    I will respond to this one and this one only. The 925 is a no-brainer. Again, hold back your negativity for a moment. To flash the AT&T 925 to T-Mo, all you need to do is flash the L920 Pre-portico Rom to the 925. Let it boot, and then when you get the error message hard reset the phone using the hardware keys. Once in reboot hold the volume up and the phone will go into flash mode. Then flash the T-Mo Rom. Proceed with caution. I know I will get comments that you cannot flash another phones rom onto the L925. I’ve done it before, if I had a 925 I would probably just live with the AT&T rom. This is how we got the Roger’s rom on our AT&T 920s and it also works with the 820.
    Re-requesting any information on flashing an AT&T 640, if possible. I've already attempted the following:
    - Grabbed several FFU's via NaviFirm+, and attempted to flash via the ImageDesigner tool. Always fails, likely due to the device being seen as "Nokia.MSM8926.P6204_ATT.1.1" (the _ATT being the problem)
    - Used CustomWPSystem_0500.xap (and later) CustomWPSystem_0600.xap to run CustomPFD_0003.xap off the Preview for Developers app. I can remove the AT&T logo this way and have access to tweak other platform registry settings, but so far none of what I attempted forced an update to non AT&T firmware.
    - Accessed the C: drive via the SFTP workaround on Win10, to access / alter the OEMDevicePlatform.xml file, pulling out the _ATT from the <DevicePlatformID> section.

So if there's another tool or another step I missed, I for one would greatly appreciate it if you could advise us on what that is. Thanks again.
    libra89 likes this.
    12-24-2015 01:40 PM
    Re-requesting any information on flashing an AT&T 640, if possible. I've already attempted the following:
    - Grabbed several FFU's via NaviFirm+, and attempted to flash via the ImageDesigner tool. Always fails, likely due to the device being seen as "Nokia.MSM8926.P6204_ATT.1.1" (the _ATT being the problem)
    - Used CustomWPSystem_0500.xap (and later) CustomWPSystem_0600.xap to run CustomPFD_0003.xap off the Preview for Developers app. I can remove the AT&T logo this way and have access to tweak other platform registry settings, but so far none of what I attempted forced an update to non AT&T firmware.
    - Accessed the C: drive via the SFTP workaround on Win10, to access / alter the OEMDevicePlatform.xml file, pulling out the _ATT from the <DevicePlatformID> section.

So if there's another tool or another step I missed, I for one would greatly appreciate it if you could advise us on what that is. Thanks again.
    OK, so you'll have to be patient with me on this one. I have sold off my 2 L640s so I will go ahead and buy another L640 AT&T variant through Best Buy. I don't know why I am doing this, but I will document all of the steps so that you can debrand or rebrand your 640 to T-Mo. So you'll have to wait until I get the phone and then get the unlock code from AT&T.
    libra89 and charktorious like this.
    12-24-2015 02:29 PM
    hah, i didn't mean to get so under your skin. i was being genuine when i said i would love to have you prove me wrong.

you keep mentioning other att models, i know that many att lumias can be debranded. ive just never seen anyone successfully debrand an att640

as a side note: i have personally debranded an ATT 635
    12-24-2015 03:50 PM
    hah, i didn't mean to get so under your skin. i was being genuine when i said i would love to have you prove me wrong.

you keep mentioning other att models, i know that many att lumias can be debranded. ive just never seen anyone successfully debrand an att640

as a side note: i have personally debranded an ATT 635
    No worries. I've just been bombarded by so many trolls here at WC that's it's becoming annoying to even bother participating in the forums here. Seems to have become less of an enthusiast site and more of a whiners central site.
    12-26-2015 02:00 PM
    @sleeve22: I am doubting some of your posts here so unless we get an explanation I will have to report your posts.

1) The AT&T 920 could only be flashed to another ROM when on the pre-Portico ROM. Post Amber it wasn't possible using Nokia Product Support Tool. It can still be done using 4)
    2) The AT&T 925 cannot be flashed to any other ROM since it is a unique variant that supports both PMA and Qi via external accessory. The point you made about flashing the 925 with a pre-Portico 920 ROM is very incorrect. The 925 launched with the Amber firmware so installing a 925 version of the pre-Portico ROM is not possible
    3) The AT&T Lumia 640 has not been hacked to install another non-AT&T firmware (AT&T postpaid to prepaid and vice-versa is possible). I am the one who came up with the hack to install a non-AT&T firmware on an AT&T 635 and others have tried it successfully on the 820 as well. As far as I know, unless Microsoft's releases a newer AT&T Lumia 640 firmware (possibly WM10) my hack doesn't work either.
    4) The only other (untried) option I can think of is to wait until Heathcliff extends his bootloader hack to the newer devices thus enabling custom ROMs.

Please do provide some links to backup your claims. It might actually end up being useful for a whole lot of members here.
    gordonfink likes this.
    12-28-2015 03:43 PM
    @sleeve22: I am doubting some of your posts here so unless we get an explanation I will have to report your posts.

1) The AT&T 920 could only be flashed to another ROM when on the pre-Portico ROM. Post Amber it wasn't possible using Nokia Product Support Tool. It can still be done using 4)
    2) The AT&T 925 cannot be flashed to any other ROM since it is a unique variant that supports both PMA and Qi via external accessory. The point you made about flashing the 925 with a pre-Portico 920 ROM is very incorrect. The 925 launched with the Amber firmware so installing a 925 version of the pre-Portico ROM is not possible
    3) The AT&T Lumia 640 has not been hacked to install another non-AT&T firmware (AT&T postpaid to prepaid and vice-versa is possible). I am the one who came up with the hack to install a non-AT&T firmware on an AT&T 635 and others have tried it successfully on the 820 as well. As far as I know, unless Microsoft's releases a newer AT&T Lumia 640 firmware (possibly WM10) my hack doesn't work either.
    4) The only other (untried) option I can think of is to wait until Heathcliff extends his bootloader hack to the newer devices thus enabling custom ROMs.

Please do provide some links to backup your claims. It might actually end up being useful for a whole lot of members here.
    (2) Like I said, you can in fact flash the 920 Pre-portico rom onto a 925. You just have to change the product code. The only support I have is my own experience in this one. Against many peoples recommendations I was able to flash an at&t 925 with the 920 pre-portico rom, and then flash an unbranded rom. Try for yourself.
    12-28-2015 04:16 PM

And so I only have my own experiences playing around with AT&T phones. I care not to argue about said methods any longer and participation in WC threads is becoming tedious so please delete all of my replies and then close my account too. Out.
    12-28-2015 04:18 PM
    No worries. I've just been bombarded by so many trolls here at WC that's it's becoming annoying to even bother participating in the forums here. Seems to have become less of an enthusiast site and more of a whiners central site.
    We are not trying to troll you. You claimed success in flashing alternate firmware on the AT&T L640 when none of us have found this info. We are just wanting you to confirm this by posting links or method as many of us have not found this info.
    12-28-2015 07:28 PM
    Well that went well.
    12-29-2015 06:31 PM
    I was able to successfully replace the screen on my own but broke the front facing camera in the process. no big deal since my dad doesn't use the FFC. It was pretty straightforward but if you have to be careful when removing the front camera from the broken screen. You must not disconnect the camera module from the ribbon. It must all stay in tact. You also have to remove the ear piece from the old screen and attach it to the new screen. I ordered my replacement screen from here.

ebay.com/itm/331706361117?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    01-13-2016 03:00 PM
    My Tmo 640 was about 3 months old when the battery started puffing out (ballooning). So I bought $29 AT&T 640 (BF deal) and switched out the battery... better than paying the same amount online for just a battery that i'm sure wouldn't have been OEM. Same would apply to the LCD - at least you'd know it was OEM. Almost every replacement screen I've ever gotten turned out to be B-stock. Even for $59 it's worth it for new LCD and battery - guaranteed OEM grade A-stock.
    01-13-2016 05:02 PM
    Why not just buy the metro pcs Lumina 640 instead and just use that? U shouldn't have to unlock it since its tmobiles network

Sent from mTalk
    01-13-2016 05:22 PM
    Why not just buy the metro pcs Lumina 640 instead and just use that? U shouldn't have to unlock it since its tmobiles network

Sent from mTalk
    They no longer carry it. And, even if they did, it would probably be more expensive.
    01-13-2016 06:04 PM
    Yes Metro PCS uses the T-Mobile network but different software/firmware or the sim slot is locked to metro, etc, not sure if it would work . I paid $100 for a T-Mobile 640 instead of $80 for Metro PCS just to avoid that scenario (I recall reading somewhere that it wouldn't work). At any rate, AT&T is the only network selling it now (in the U.S). I imagine you can swap out any part except the mainboard, and for $59 - all original 100% OEM parts - that's pretty neat. I will be sure to buy another AT&T 640 for spare parts before they stop selling them.
    libra89 likes this.
    01-13-2016 07:42 PM
    The MetroPCS variant of the 640 fully functions on TMo, including Band 12 and WiFi Calling.
    01-27-2016 03:36 PM
    So I could've saved $20? How about unlocking the Metro version ($100 in total refills and you can unlock on T-Mobile). Mute point now that only AT&T is selling it now. But good to know.
    01-27-2016 10:16 PM
53 123