Possible to replace Tmo Lumia 640 screen with AT&T one?

boonesmi

May 17, 2015
Visit site
This has been done. In fact, I have flashed an AT&T 920, 820, and 640 already to CV firmware although they require extra steps. If you follow along with Windows Central you should be aware of this by now. But yes, it is an additional challenge with AT&T phones. My local Metro PCS was still selling 640s the last time I was they (maybe 2 weeks ago) and those are super easy to flash.

i do follow windows central, and since the flood of AT&T 640's after bestbuy's $29 BF and microsoft store selling at $39. there have been countless posts on here and all over the web of people wanting to turn it into a tmobile version. all ive seen/heard is that its not possible yet.

edit to add: im talking specifically about the AT&T version. i know other version can load different software

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
i do follow windows central, and since the flood of AT&T 640's after bestbuy's $29 BF and microsoft store selling at $39. there have been countless posts on here and all over the web of people wanting to turn it into a tmobile version. all ive seen/heard is that its not possible yet.
Thanks for the info. I will grab another from BB if they are that cheap.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I knew tools were out to potentially crack it, but I was not aware that it had been done. Can someone provide a link? I might do it just for kicks.

charktorious

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
On a slightly related topic, is it possible to turn off the ATT splash screen that comes up briefly on start up? (I'm running a unlocked ATT640 on tmo)

There is a way, but it requires installing CustomWPSystem_0500 or CustomWPSystem_0600.xap, running it off the Developer app to gain access to the registry and editing this location: KLM\SYSTEM\Shell\OEM\BootScreens\WPBootScreenOverride (obviously you need to know what you're doing / don't mind messing with your phone)

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
This has been done. In fact, I have flashed an AT&T 920, 820, and 640 already to CV firmware although they require extra steps. If you follow along with Windows Central you should be aware of this by now. But yes, it is an additional challenge with AT&T phones. My local Metro PCS was still selling 640s the last time I was they (maybe 2 weeks ago) and those are super easy to flash.

Do you mind linking the thread(s) explaining how to flash new firmware on the AT&T L640 variant. I have not found the method to do so despite numerous search efforts and lots of reading.

charktorious

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Try Google. Not that hard to find.

Can you please add a link? I'm in the same situation as others where I researched this for several days, between this site and XDA primarily. Tmk, there is no way to do this yet - I got as far as reading up on the PLAT partition and attempting to alter a bin file using HEXEDIT, but I don't know a way to actually access that partition (or if it's even safe to do so as one could brick the device if they aren't careful). I did manage to get access to the C:\ file structure (read/write) but didn't find any way to alter any files to be able to kick off a non-AT&T firmware upgrade. Thanks!

boonesmi

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Can you please add a link? I'm in the same situation as others where I researched this for several days, between this site and XDA primarily. Tmk, there is no way to do this yet - I got as far as reading up on the PLAT partition and attempting to alter a bin file using HEXEDIT, but I don't know a way to actually access that partition (or if it's even safe to do so as one could brick the device if they aren't careful). I did manage to get access to the C:\ file structure (read/write) but didn't find any way to alter any files to be able to kick off a non-AT&T firmware upgrade. Thanks!

i kinda doubt he will be able to provide a legit link. ive also researched this a lot, and unless something has changed in the last couple days its just not possible yet (YET being the key word). it is possible in theory, just no one has figured out how.

but hey sleeve22 i would be absolutely delighted if you could prove me wrong :)

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
i kinda doubt he will be able to provide a legit link. ive also researched this a lot, and unless something has changed in the last couple days its just not possible yet (YET being the key word). it is possible in theory, just no one has figured out how.

but hey sleeve22 i would be absolutely delighted if you could prove me wrong :)
Go **** yourself. God these forums are getting exhausting dealing with idiots.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Re: Possible to replace Tmo Lumia 640 screen with AT&T one?

No reason to get upset. Multiple people have not found a method to flash new firmware on the AT&T L640 but you stated it could be done with some extra steps. We ask that you show us it is possible because you are the first person i have seen to say it can be done in these forums. We WANT to be able to flash new firmware. Obviously if it can be done, the information is not widely spread and by posting the links you will help disseminate it.

Gunbust3r

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site

Okayyyyy, you call us all F'ing idiots but you cant back up your claims with any sort of proof. I would love to flash my 925 from ATT to T-Mo, same with picking up an ATT 640 but you seem to be the only forum god to be keeping up on tens of thousands of posts...

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Okayyyyy, you call us all F'ing idiots but you cant back up your claims with any sort of proof. I would love to flash my 925 from ATT to T-Mo, same with picking up an ATT 640 but you seem to be the only forum god to be keeping up on tens of thousands of posts...
When I said the Here Suite could be side-loaded I got all kinds of slack. If you check my history I provided a link and many people can confirm that it is super simple to do. The negativity here at WC is becoming exhausting and I have no care in the world to defend myself. So, if you don’t believe me then don’t believe me, just don’t contact me about it. I promise I will not lose any sleep over it.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I side loaded some apps when those tools first came out, with varying results. I thought the latest W10 dropped that ability. Am I wrong on that?

But, sideloading apps is different than wholesale firmware redo. I am not asking to be a pain the butt, or question your manhood - I really am interested, because I didn't know it was possible.

If firmware can be reloaded from a different carrier, I think lots of people on non-ATT GSM's will be jumping for joy, because these phones may currently not be available to them.

For that matter, if you could overwrite Verizon's system with an ATT one for the Icon, to enable MMS and LTE, that phone would be the steal or all steals for windows phone. I'd do that in a second.

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

I will respond to this one and this one only. The 925 is a no-brainer. Again, hold back your negativity for a moment. To flash the AT&T 925 to T-Mo, all you need to do is flash the L920 Pre-portico Rom to the 925. Let it boot, and then when you get the error message hard reset the phone using the hardware keys. Once in reboot hold the volume up and the phone will go into flash mode. Then flash the T-Mo Rom. Proceed with caution. I know I will get comments that you cannot flash another phones rom onto the L925. I’ve done it before, if I had a 925 I would probably just live with the AT&T rom. This is how we got the Roger’s rom on our AT&T 920s and it also works with the 820.

charktorious

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
I will respond to this one and this one only. The 925 is a no-brainer. Again, hold back your negativity for a moment. To flash the AT&T 925 to T-Mo, all you need to do is flash the L920 Pre-portico Rom to the 925. Let it boot, and then when you get the error message hard reset the phone using the hardware keys. Once in reboot hold the volume up and the phone will go into flash mode. Then flash the T-Mo Rom. Proceed with caution. I know I will get comments that you cannot flash another phones rom onto the L925. I’ve done it before, if I had a 925 I would probably just live with the AT&T rom. This is how we got the Roger’s rom on our AT&T 920s and it also works with the 820.

Re-requesting any information on flashing an AT&T 640, if possible. I've already attempted the following:
- Grabbed several FFU's via NaviFirm+, and attempted to flash via the ImageDesigner tool. Always fails, likely due to the device being seen as "Nokia.MSM8926.P6204_ATT.1.1" (the _ATT being the problem)
- Used CustomWPSystem_0500.xap (and later) CustomWPSystem_0600.xap to run CustomPFD_0003.xap off the Preview for Developers app. I can remove the AT&T logo this way and have access to tweak other platform registry settings, but so far none of what I attempted forced an update to non AT&T firmware.
- Accessed the C: drive via the SFTP workaround on Win10, to access / alter the OEMDevicePlatform.xml file, pulling out the _ATT from the <DevicePlatformID> section.

So if there's another tool or another step I missed, I for one would greatly appreciate it if you could advise us on what that is. Thanks again.

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Re-requesting any information on flashing an AT&T 640, if possible. I've already attempted the following:
- Grabbed several FFU's via NaviFirm+, and attempted to flash via the ImageDesigner tool. Always fails, likely due to the device being seen as "Nokia.MSM8926.P6204_ATT.1.1" (the _ATT being the problem)
- Used CustomWPSystem_0500.xap (and later) CustomWPSystem_0600.xap to run CustomPFD_0003.xap off the Preview for Developers app. I can remove the AT&T logo this way and have access to tweak other platform registry settings, but so far none of what I attempted forced an update to non AT&T firmware.
- Accessed the C: drive via the SFTP workaround on Win10, to access / alter the OEMDevicePlatform.xml file, pulling out the _ATT from the <DevicePlatformID> section.

So if there's another tool or another step I missed, I for one would greatly appreciate it if you could advise us on what that is. Thanks again.
OK, so you'll have to be patient with me on this one. I have sold off my 2 L640s so I will go ahead and buy another L640 AT&T variant through Best Buy. I don't know why I am doing this, but I will document all of the steps so that you can debrand or rebrand your 640 to T-Mo. So you'll have to wait until I get the phone and then get the unlock code from AT&T.

boonesmi

May 17, 2015
Visit site

hah, i didn't mean to get so under your skin. i was being genuine when i said i would love to have you prove me wrong.

you keep mentioning other att models, i know that many att lumias can be debranded. ive just never seen anyone successfully debrand an att640

as a side note: i have personally debranded an ATT 635

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
hah, i didn't mean to get so under your skin. i was being genuine when i said i would love to have you prove me wrong.

you keep mentioning other att models, i know that many att lumias can be debranded. ive just never seen anyone successfully debrand an att640

as a side note: i have personally debranded an ATT 635
No worries. I've just been bombarded by so many trolls here at WC that's it's becoming annoying to even bother participating in the forums here. Seems to have become less of an enthusiast site and more of a whiners central site.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
@sleeve22: I am doubting some of your posts here so unless we get an explanation I will have to report your posts.

1) The AT&T 920 could only be flashed to another ROM when on the pre-Portico ROM. Post Amber it wasn't possible using Nokia Product Support Tool. It can still be done using 4)
2) The AT&T 925 cannot be flashed to any other ROM since it is a unique variant that supports both PMA and Qi via external accessory. The point you made about flashing the 925 with a pre-Portico 920 ROM is very incorrect. The 925 launched with the Amber firmware so installing a 925 version of the pre-Portico ROM is not possible
3) The AT&T Lumia 640 has not been hacked to install another non-AT&T firmware (AT&T postpaid to prepaid and vice-versa is possible). I am the one who came up with the hack to install a non-AT&T firmware on an AT&T 635 and others have tried it successfully on the 820 as well. As far as I know, unless Microsoft's releases a newer AT&T Lumia 640 firmware (possibly WM10) my hack doesn't work either.
4) The only other (untried) option I can think of is to wait until Heathcliff extends his bootloader hack to the newer devices thus enabling custom ROMs.

Please do provide some links to backup your claims. It might actually end up being useful for a whole lot of members here.

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
@sleeve22: I am doubting some of your posts here so unless we get an explanation I will have to report your posts.

1) The AT&T 920 could only be flashed to another ROM when on the pre-Portico ROM. Post Amber it wasn't possible using Nokia Product Support Tool. It can still be done using 4)
2) The AT&T 925 cannot be flashed to any other ROM since it is a unique variant that supports both PMA and Qi via external accessory. The point you made about flashing the 925 with a pre-Portico 920 ROM is very incorrect. The 925 launched with the Amber firmware so installing a 925 version of the pre-Portico ROM is not possible
3) The AT&T Lumia 640 has not been hacked to install another non-AT&T firmware (AT&T postpaid to prepaid and vice-versa is possible). I am the one who came up with the hack to install a non-AT&T firmware on an AT&T 635 and others have tried it successfully on the 820 as well. As far as I know, unless Microsoft's releases a newer AT&T Lumia 640 firmware (possibly WM10) my hack doesn't work either.
4) The only other (untried) option I can think of is to wait until Heathcliff extends his bootloader hack to the newer devices thus enabling custom ROMs.

Please do provide some links to backup your claims. It might actually end up being useful for a whole lot of members here.

(2) Like I said, you can in fact flash the 920 Pre-portico rom onto a 925. You just have to change the product code. The only support I have is my own experience in this one. Against many peoples recommendations I was able to flash an at&t 925 with the 920 pre-portico rom, and then flash an unbranded rom. Try for yourself.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo