Possible to replace Tmo Lumia 640 screen with AT&T one?

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
@sleeve22: I am doubting some of your posts here so unless we get an explanation I will have to report your posts.

1) The AT&T 920 could only be flashed to another ROM when on the pre-Portico ROM. Post Amber it wasn't possible using Nokia Product Support Tool. It can still be done using 4)
2) The AT&T 925 cannot be flashed to any other ROM since it is a unique variant that supports both PMA and Qi via external accessory. The point you made about flashing the 925 with a pre-Portico 920 ROM is very incorrect. The 925 launched with the Amber firmware so installing a 925 version of the pre-Portico ROM is not possible
3) The AT&T Lumia 640 has not been hacked to install another non-AT&T firmware (AT&T postpaid to prepaid and vice-versa is possible). I am the one who came up with the hack to install a non-AT&T firmware on an AT&T 635 and others have tried it successfully on the 820 as well. As far as I know, unless Microsoft's releases a newer AT&T Lumia 640 firmware (possibly WM10) my hack doesn't work either.
4) The only other (untried) option I can think of is to wait until Heathcliff extends his bootloader hack to the newer devices thus enabling custom ROMs.

Please do provide some links to backup your claims. It might actually end up being useful for a whole lot of members here.

And so I only have my own experiences playing around with AT&T phones. I care not to argue about said methods any longer and participation in WC threads is becoming tedious so please delete all of my replies and then close my account too. Out.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
No worries. I've just been bombarded by so many trolls here at WC that's it's becoming annoying to even bother participating in the forums here. Seems to have become less of an enthusiast site and more of a whiners central site.
We are not trying to troll you. You claimed success in flashing alternate firmware on the AT&T L640 when none of us have found this info. We are just wanting you to confirm this by posting links or method as many of us have not found this info.

swkong626

May 4, 2013
Visit site
I was able to successfully replace the screen on my own but broke the front facing camera in the process. no big deal since my dad doesn't use the FFC. It was pretty straightforward but if you have to be careful when removing the front camera from the broken screen. You must not disconnect the camera module from the ribbon. It must all stay in tact. You also have to remove the ear piece from the old screen and attach it to the new screen. I ordered my replacement screen from here.

ebay.com/itm/331706361117?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
My Tmo 640 was about 3 months old when the battery started puffing out (ballooning). So I bought $29 AT&T 640 (BF deal) and switched out the battery... better than paying the same amount online for just a battery that i'm sure wouldn't have been OEM. Same would apply to the LCD - at least you'd know it was OEM. Almost every replacement screen I've ever gotten turned out to be B-stock. Even for $59 it's worth it for new LCD and battery - guaranteed OEM grade A-stock.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Why not just buy the metro pcs Lumina 640 instead and just use that? U shouldn't have to unlock it since its tmobiles network

Sent from mTalk

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Yes Metro PCS uses the T-Mobile network but different software/firmware or the sim slot is locked to metro, etc, not sure if it would work . I paid $100 for a T-Mobile 640 instead of $80 for Metro PCS just to avoid that scenario (I recall reading somewhere that it wouldn't work). At any rate, AT&T is the only network selling it now (in the U.S). I imagine you can swap out any part except the mainboard, and for $59 - all original 100% OEM parts - that's pretty neat. I will be sure to buy another AT&T 640 for spare parts before they stop selling them.

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
So I could've saved $20? How about unlocking the Metro version ($100 in total refills and you can unlock on T-Mobile). Mute point now that only AT&T is selling it now. But good to know.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
So I could've saved $20? How about unlocking the Metro version ($100 in total refills and you can unlock on T-Mobile). Mute point now that only AT&T is selling it now. But good to know.

MetroPCS doesn't unlock phones other than the way you describe. $100 in refills. They made sure it was never a good option.

gustavoacm

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
We are not trying to troll you. You claimed success in flashing alternate firmware on the AT&T L640 when none of us have found this info. We are just wanting you to confirm this by posting links or method as many of us have not found this info.

Since some days ago, has been finally possible to make the unbrand for the 640 AT&T, the tutorial is in xda forum with the title "De-Brand [ATT] Lumia 640 LTE"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs