Possible to replace Tmo Lumia 640 screen with AT&T one?

simonnyc

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
My dad recently dropped his 640 and shattered the screen. Before i go on ebay and order a replacement screen from China, is it possible for me to just buy a AT&T version of the 640 and use that screen as a replacement?

If not, does anybody have any suggestions on where to order a replacement screen from? Should I be ordering a replacement screen that has the frame?

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
My dad recently dropped his 640 and shattered the screen. Before i go on ebay and order a replacement screen from China, is it possible for me to just buy a AT&T version of the 640 and use that screen as a replacement?

If not, does anybody have any suggestions on where to order a replacement screen from? Should I be ordering a replacement screen that has the frame?

Just buy a new 640 they are cheap

ntice_521

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

As far as I know all 640 screens are the same. In fact the att and tmbile 640s have the same hardware model number (RM-1073).

I haven't fixed a 640, but if it?s like others...yes, get the glass with frame. Because otherwise you have to unglue/reglue, pain in the butt.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I believe they should be interchangeable. Pretty easy replacement. I bought a LCD/screen assembly, but it did not have the frame. If you buy one with a frame, it'll be much easier for you.

njstol01

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
On a slightly related topic, is it possible to turn off the ATT splash screen that comes up briefly on start up? (I'm running a unlocked ATT640 on tmo)

njstol01

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
On a slightly related topic, is it possible to turn off the ATT splash screen that comes up briefly on start up? (I'm running a unlocked ATT640 on tmo)

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Re: Possible to replace Tmo Lumia 640 screen with AT&T one?

What are you implying?

I think he/she is referencing the fact that if you buy the AT&T branded L640, you cannot flash another ROM. This is because AT&T has locked the phone to prevent this. SOP for AT&T.

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

I think he/she is referencing the fact that if you buy the AT&T branded L640, you cannot flash another ROM. This is because AT&T has locked the phone to prevent this. SOP for AT&T.
Yes, this has been the case since forever. That is why I specifically said the same RM version, and did not mention AT&T version. You can easily find an LTA version with a simple google search. Sometimes I wonder if it is only ******* idiots who remain at these forums. It would be much more cost effective to buy an LTA 640 and flash it than buy a replacement screen. Or even buy the Metro PCS version.

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
And plus we now have the tools available to unlock the AT&T version so that they can be flashed with other firmware. So, your point is moot.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

It would be much more cost effective to buy an LTA 640 and flash it than buy a replacement screen. Or even buy the Metro PCS version.

I'm not entirely sure that this is true. It depends on how cheaply you can buy a screen. I've seen them as cheap as $20. In that case, it's easier to buy the screen and replace it.

boonesmi

May 17, 2015
Visit site
What are you implying?
hah sorry for the confusion.

i had started a response much earlier (before anyone had replied) that basically said both att and tmo 640 are rm-1073 which means the only difference between them is firmware/software (ie. yes you could use one for replacement parts)

but i was distracted, and many hours later i was back at PC and saw i hadn't actually posted it. once i hit "submit" it refreshed page and i saw that others had already responded (and it appeared i was just duplicating what others had said) so i deleted and said to ignore, lol

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

I'm not entirely sure that this is true. It depends on how cheaply you can buy a screen. I've seen them as cheap as $20. In that case, it's easier to buy the screen and replace it.
I just sold my T-Mobile 640 for $30. That is about the current going rate.

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
since when? i was under the impression no one had yet found a way to unlock firmware on the ATT 640

This has been done. In fact, I have flashed an AT&T 920, 820, and 640 already to CV firmware although they require extra steps. If you follow along with Windows Central you should be aware of this by now. But yes, it is an additional challenge with AT&T phones. My local Metro PCS was still selling 640s the last time I was they (maybe 2 weeks ago) and those are super easy to flash.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos