Attention 950 Owners: Did We Dodge a Bullet with the 950XL?

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Well I spoke to some people and they had 15452 while mine was 15454. Now there's a newer one too. Check yours it's likely 15454. There are threads somewhere where people mention being on 15452. This could even explain all the IR issues and everything. And even speed issues. One youtube vid was showing 950xl being beaten by most things then someone else did a video where the 950xl was destroying everything. So there's variation no doubt. I hope the newer firmware comes soon to my provider. Though the camera is good on mine it could use the extra fixes. I find I have to turn off live images to get good shots.
I am on 15452 on GB CV 950 and having none of the problems. My biggest complaint right now is that my bing images lock-screen does not update everyday. Some days I have to force the update. Poor me.

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
For the bing problem just install lockmix.

I've always had issues with the built in Bing lock screen, until now. It actually works perfect in my 950 for whatever reason.

I was so used to it not working, since Windows Phone 8 on my Lumia 822 and several models in between, that I downloaded apps like like lockmix without even trying the built in Bing.

UNFORTUNATELY, several lock screen apps caused my phone to lag and even randomly reboot (I know the apps were the issue because those issues never happened before installing or after uninstalling). I would imagine it has something to do with most of them haven't even been updated for 8.1 much less 10.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
For SST: MS have amended the 950 spec page on their store (now shows multicapacitive touchscreen) when XL still shows SST.

For FM tuner, as I said: you can enable the FM tuner on the 950 by a third party app in the US, but it doesn't work, even with third party, in EU (widely reported on WC and elsewhere).

The FM tuner is on the snapdragon, but MS have decided to disable it on the 950 "for quality reasons" (source: a MVP). And it sounds as if it won't be enable later.

Wrong. I have 950 in Europe and FM Tuner work very well with a third party app.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
mariusmuntean said:
Wrong. I have 950 in Europe and FM Tuner work very well with a third party app.

Great news, can you tell me *exactly* which app have you used? And what is your device type (RM_XXXX) that you should see in Settings Extra Advanced Information?

thank you

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Great news, can you tell me *exactly* which app have you used? And what is your device type (RM_XXXX) that you should see in Settings Extra Advanced Information?

thank you

Yep.
I have RM-1104 on .36 OS version. Haven't received the Firmware update yet.
I am using FM Radio Player made by LCSoft

jantila

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Yep.

I'm in EU, have version RM1104, firmware 59012, OS 10586.36. Installed the same 3rd party app -> "this application requires a FM radio that wasn't found. The application will now close."

System-About-More info shows version 1511, whatever that might be. And hardware revision nr 2.1.1.2. It also shows "Radio software version" 00131.0001.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
mariusmuntean said:
Yep.

Thank you. RM-1104 seems to be the single SIM 950 in EU ; I have the RM-1118 (Dual SIM), which may differ a bit.

The app you refer to doesn't work here, like jantila reported as well. A mystery. A friend of mine, who's MVP, told me (from the information they have and are supposed not to disclose lol) that :
a) MS Q/A engineers were not satisfied with the quality of the radio tuner on the 950
b) it is disabled at OS level
c) Customers are supposed to use third party apps.

Problem is: no third party app works on French 950 (dual or single sim), or in the UK, and this, since day one (before FW update and with 10586.00).

I've provided feedback through the Feedback app to claim our tuner back. Because according to US users, the quality of the FM tuner is as good as on any other Lumia, so no reason to disable it.

I really hope this feature is back for everyone with a OS update. Broadcast is more energy-efficient than LTE/data for listening to radio.

PoorInRichfield

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I have a 950XL and my wife has a 950. They are both Microsoft unlocked, dual SIM phones. My 950XL has been working just fine for me, while my wife's 950 has been very buggy. I was able to get the 10.0.10586.29 update installed on my XL but I have not been able to get it installed on hers and it's making me crazy.

The 950XL is my first "phablet" and so far, I like it a lot. I like photography and I wanted the largest screen possible for showing people photos. I also like it that the larger XL screen makes the keyboard larger for my fat fingers.

However, the 950 isn't that much smaller than the 950XL. Both offer much more screen real-estate than the 920's we had before, so I'm pretty sure I could be just as happy on the 950 as I am on the XL. For those of you who like small, "pocket-able" phones, I argue that both phones are too big ;-)

N1cks

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Both offer much more screen real-estate than the 920's we had before, so I'm pretty sure I could be just as happy on the 950 as I am on the XL.

Snap. I also came from a 920. It's quite a leap going to the 950!
The 920 was a fantastic phone, but the 950 feels light years ahead.

Because the 950 & XL are so similar, they mainly serve to confuse fans as to which one to get :-S. I went with the 950 with the idea it'd be more one-handed friendly. While I suspect it's better than the XL, compared to the 920... I'm handling it more like a phablet. The 'hold windows key' one handed mode is great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro