I need to read something good about the L950XL... please?

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

I love my phone! Remember, people who love their gadget/belongings don't go to forums just to say they love it. Most people go to forums to research and troubleshoot a problem/problems. So why did I buy this phone? Well, I've owned a 920 and 1020. Both ATT devices and it's not 100% compatible with Tmobile so I decided to look for a 930 and 1520, but then again both not 100% compatible with Tmobile's network. A 1520.3 would be nice but it is rare to find one, and even if I find one it'll be expensive. Yeah the 1020 is still superior in daylight shots, but that is if one have the time to wait for it to load and take an image.. Overall, the 950 XL is a great device (UX, camera, screen, and so on)! No regrets especially since I got the student discount and the display dock (free).

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
You will not hear anything good from me. As a previous owner, I consider the entire experience a trainwreck with a strong recommendation to avoid.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
You will not hear anything good from me. As a previous owner, I consider the entire experience a trainwreck with a strong recommendation to avoid.

You'll hear the exact opposite from me. The phone fits well in my hand for one-handed use, the Iris Scanner is useful and unique, and, sure, it gets a bit warm after awhile, but I've yet seen it slow down to a crawl due to it, it takes everything I've thrown at it and laughs.

Overall, the phone is a blast to use, even if I haven't used Continuum much (though, I do have the dock ready to use).

Babs75

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
I love my phone! Remember, people who love their gadget/belongings don't go to forums just to say they love it. Most people go to forums to research and troubleshoot a problem/problems. So why did I buy this phone? Well, I've owned a 920 and 1020. Both ATT devices and it's not 100% compatible with Tmobile so I decided to look for a 930 and 1520, but then again both not 100% compatible with Tmobile's network. A 1520.3 would be nice but it is rare to find one, and even if I find one it'll be expensive. Yeah the 1020 is still superior in daylight shots, but that is if one have the time to wait for it to load and take an image.. Overall, the 950 XL is a great device (UX, camera, screen, and so on)! No regrets especially since I got the student discount and the display dock (free).

I love mine too. This is my first Windows phone. I moved over from Android. Couldn't be happier. I don't have a lot of the issues others seem to have here. I'm currently on 10586.29 waiting for other updates to come through. No app gap for me other than a few that I've set shortcuts for on the web browser. The camera is awesome. Took some great pictures yesterday. I, too, received the student discount and the free dock.

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Loving my Lumia 950 xl only had it for one week. Had I crash once think it was a result of me having all my apps stored on the SD card. Camera has been fantastic especially in low light only missed a few photos but suspect operator having a few to many beers was the cause.��

Blacklizted

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I only need one reason to love any phone, and that is the camera. The optics and the people who made the algorithms for the jpegs produced by this camera is amazing. Its so great that you can't match the JPG even if you edit the RAW file.

[ATTACH
=CONFIG]119502._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Btw, this shot is handheld, no tripod.

Last edited:

Bigfireq

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
People have plenty of legitimate reasons to complain because of the OS bugginess, but it's definitely better on 36, and the hardware itself is amazing. The camera is fantastic (and I had the 1020), the phone is light, I finally have a replaceable battery again, and the screen is gorgeous. I would be very sad not to have my 950LX.

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I am fortunate to not find any hardware issues other than the back cover. But I think if they made it any thicker it would be a little heavier. Nothing a third party provider can't fix. I love the weight and often check if I still have the device in my pocket. I was a little disappointed with 3rd party application support coming from the other two popular mobile ecosystems. But that doesn't affect my opinion on the hardware. I'm in it for the long game.

Ditto

The Werewolf

May 4, 2014
Visit site
So, here's the thing. Many tech bloggers are Apple-oriented. Their bar is 'is it an Apple product?' and if it's isn't, then by definition, it can't be as good. So, if it has features the comparable Apple product doesn't have - those features are stupid and no one should want them.. and if it's missing features the Apple product does have, then clearly, it's not as good.

Windows 10 Mobile phones start off (from their perspective) with two huge failures: it's not iOS and it doesn't have the ecosystem iOS devices have. To put that in perspective though - keep in mind that this is a moving goalpost game they play. When Android was starting out, first it was 'yeah - but they don't have as many apps'. When Android pretty much caught up in apps, it became 'yeah - but our apps are better'... and as Android apps improved, it changed to 'yeah - but they still deliver for iOS first and sometimes only.'

So, short version: unless you trust the writer to be unbiased against Microsoft, take their comments with a big old chunk of salt.

Now, to reality land. As with all platforms, there's good and bad. Windows 10 Mobile finally brings the promise of 'one platform on all systems' close to reality, but the new platform is just that - new. And it's the third OS version in five years. It's hard for developers to keep up with that much churn, especially on such a small market. If Microsoft can settle this down and get Win10 Mobile on as many existing WinPhone devices as possible, that will help.

As for the 950 - it's an interesting phone with a lot of potential. My only warning is - you may have to wait a bit for that potential to become reality. But if you're prepared to stick with it for the long haul, I think it'll turn out to be a good choice.

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
So, here's the thing. Many tech bloggers are Apple-oriented. Their bar is 'is it an Apple product?' and if it's isn't, then by definition, it can't be as good. So, if it has features the comparable Apple product doesn't have - those features are stupid and no one should want them.. and if it's missing features the Apple product does have, then clearly, it's not as good.

Windows 10 Mobile phones start off (from their perspective) with two huge failures: it's not iOS and it doesn't have the ecosystem iOS devices have. To put that in perspective though - keep in mind that this is a moving goalpost game they play. When Android was starting out, first it was 'yeah - but they don't have as many apps'. When Android pretty much caught up in apps, it became 'yeah - but our apps are better'... and as Android apps improved, it changed to 'yeah - but they still deliver for iOS first and sometimes only.'

So, short version: unless you trust the writer to be unbiased against Microsoft, take their comments with a big old chunk of salt.

Now, to reality land. As with all platforms, there's good and bad. Windows 10 Mobile finally brings the promise of 'one platform on all systems' close to reality, but the new platform is just that - new. And it's the third OS version in five years. It's hard for developers to keep up with that much churn, especially on such a small market. If Microsoft can settle this down and get Win10 Mobile on as many existing WinPhone devices as possible, that will help.

As for the 950 - it's an interesting phone with a lot of potential. My only warning is - you may have to wait a bit for that potential to become reality. But if you're prepared to stick with it for the long haul, I think it'll turn out to be a good choice.

Sounds to me there jealous there is a contender that's doing better! Just an app gap difference is our issue.

My experience is simple people love the features Cortana , continuum , iris scanning etc. It is the app gap stopping them, I do not have an issue, when you see my friends app list we have same as there's.

I can get 5 days battery life proven with pictures in another thread. This is light usage, bt, WiFi on etc.use it properly no crashes and get around 1.5 days!

kappatau808

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
when it works its awesome. i just had so much wrong with mine i decided to return it and wait a few months. yes i could have replaced it, i actually was having it replaced because mine was almost a week and still not delivered. finally got delivered same day i called UPS to complain. but before that microsoft told me they would send a replacement but it was out of stock and did not know when they could mail me a new one. i guess the store close to me couldnt make replacements too. so i just returned it.see what happens in a couple months

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
several days ago the network (maybe the router) in my office died. no one could connect to internet via his/her desktop pc. then I took out my 950xl and setup the continuum thing. I had 4g cellular data so I could see the internet. I typed my documents and sent them to the boss via e-mail. my colleagues were surprised and asked why I could use my computer as usual. I told them "no, this is a windows phone."

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
The advantage of using the phone connected to the computer, the computer keyboard can be
used, rather then the phone's. I can type much faster using the computer keyboard over using
the phone alone. The same for using the mouse to open the email, and send is much faster then
just trying to use the phone alone. The time saved can be used for doing something else that may
also have to be done.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
2 x 950xl and a 950 now in my house and we, all three that is, love them. My youngest boy, austistic, was given a blu win hd lte, also a nice bit of kit.

Whats really annoying about these 4 devices??? ?1500 plus on 950/xl, and ?50 on Blu, BUT, the ?50 one came with earphones, a screen protector and a case!!! Eh????

Last edited by a moderator:

chuckn00

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
The camera is incredible. I'm on a 2 weeks vacation and brought along my Nikon D810. The trip is now coming to an end. I brought my D810 everywhere with me, but only pulled out a handful # of times. Low light capability with 950XL provided night shots that I would need to shoot a few times with my D810 to get it right. Point and shoot with 950XL gave me the results that I could never get from my Nikon in a snappy moment. My wife has iPhone 6 and took similar pictures. 950XL put hers pictures to shame.

cg86

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Ha ha it's so funny listening to some of you making excuses for these terrible devices.
I love windows phone and believe it is the best mobile OS when working. I didn't hesitate to throw my LG G4 to the side as soon as the LUMIA 950 XL became available. But after 6 hard resets and constant bugs here and there within what is now my third week of owning the 950 XL I'm DONE lying to myself and making excuses on the behalf of Microsoft.

Yes the Camera is awesome and yes iris scanner is cool (when it works) but for ?470 I expect more!
The build quality is terrible, I mean it feels nice enough to hold when I pick my ?470 phone up I don't expect to hear the plastic creeking. Then there's all the software issues and random reboots etc, I don't care what anyone says windows phone 10 is clearly not ready for prime time and Microsoft should have delayed the launch. This has easily been my worst experience on any platform and has left me resenting the windows phone platform. Thankfully I will be able to receive a full refund!!

BBJonbo

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Ha ha it's so funny listening to some of you making excuses for these terrible devices.
I love windows phone and believe it is the best mobile OS when working. I didn't hesitate to throw my LG G4 to the side as soon as the LUMIA 950 XL became available. But after 6 hard resets and constant bugs here and there within what is now my third week of owning the 950 XL I'm DONE lying to myself and making excuses on the behalf of Microsoft.

Yes the Camera is awesome and yes iris scanner is cool (when it works) but for ?470 I expect more!
The build quality is terrible, I mean it feels nice enough to hold when I pick my ?470 phone up I don't expect to hear the plastic creeking. Then there's all the software issues and random reboots etc, I don't care what anyone says windows phone 10 is clearly not ready for prime time and Microsoft should have delayed the launch. This has easily been my worst experience on any platform and has left me resenting the windows phone platform. Thankfully I will be able to receive a full refund!!

And please do move on to your phone of choice. We are sorry you had such a bad experience and we all are thankful yours is a rare case. Please go and enjoy your latest phone that suits you as phones are a personal choice and fully appreciate that WP and W10M is not for you

For many of us this is the right phone that suits our needs.

Life's too short to focus on the negative and you should definitely embrace and spend your precious time on things that bring you joy and happiness. We all understand that for you this isn't WP or W10M and fully respect that.

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
And please do move on to your phone of choice. We are sorry you had such a bad experience and we all are thankful yours is a rare case. Please go and enjoy your latest phone that suits you as phones are a personal choice and fully appreciate that WP and W10M is not for you

For many of us this is the right phone that suits our needs.

Life's too short to focus on the negative and you should definitely embrace and spend your precious time on things that bring you joy and happiness. We all understand that for you this isn't WP or W10M and fully respect that.

I moved back to the 1520 after the train wreck that was the 950xl...and your assessment that these are rare events is ludicrous. It's like when in 2006 when the Xbox 360 RRoD fiasco started that it was a 'rare' event...even as it was reported that over 33% (a conservative estimate) suffered from the condition. Telling longtime fans such as myself and many, many others who have problems that it is rare is downright irresponsible. Especially given that I waited for a very long time to embrace this failure of a launch and was personally and in fact very much affected by way of severe disappointment.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786