I need to read something good about the L950XL... please?

Mark Baker3

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Guy I work with spent years taking the **** over my windows phones. He bought a 950xl and is very happy with the exception of the google apps. After a week he was fine with the Ms equivalent. Simple enough.

desaideas1

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
After using Win10M on a Lumia 1020, having it bork my microUSB port, bricking it for a period when you had to downgrade to upgrade builds, the countless resuming/loading and crashed on functionality that worked flawlessly on Win8.1.....

I really enjoy my 950XL. It's like going from a crazy girlfriend who repeatedly takes a hammer to your walls to one that playfully unscrews the cap on a salt shaker when you take her out to dinner at 3-month waiting list steakhouse...(have to laugh at myself for this one).
Are there issues with odd crashing, ineffective experience with Cortana/groove, weird brightness settings...the list goes on...Yes.. However, generally the device is pretty resilient, a reboot gets you on your way. Battery life is fantastic in my experience and the quick charge w/ USB C is gurreat.

Microsoft Dock is pretty much useless, but I do use a MS Miracast stick for any interaction with TV's and my Surface Pro 3/950XL.

I did Hard reset my device, and I will suggest that after a few days of usage, it's best to go through that circus for increased stability with newer builds. All in all, it's a daily driver, and I no longer carry a backup phone, and 1200mah battery as a precaution.

Babs75

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
My phone is working great. So much better than my last Android phone. This my first Windows phone so maybe I have nothing to compare to. Very happy with it.

BBJonbo

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Please don't recommend the phone to anyone yet. Wait until some of the major bugs are fixed so that when you do recommend it, they will have a better experience. Everything about the phone is nice, except for those bugs that make usability terrible - constant reboots, battery drains and BT disconnects. I've been using Windows Mobile/Phone since 2000 or something, so I don't say take this lightly. Hopefully you'll have a better experience - do a clean setup, it might help. Good luck.

None of these as well. Newer but not newest firmware 15454.29005 and os .29 so again not the newest. Definitely would seem reasonable that this could be either firmware and/or os related.

My 85yr old father has the identical setup and also has none of these issues. He has been using Wp8.x for the past 3-4 years. His old phone is a 520 and he loves his 950xl I bought him for xmas. I have been using mine since Nov 26 and my dad just since Dec 25.

I truly am glad he and I are ones not experiencing such issues but do feel for those that are. My father and I are very fortunate to have the setup we have that doesn't have these issues.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Love my Lumia 950xl, no regrets getting it.

Only thing I want Microsoft to do is fix Cortana Bluetooth hands free interaction in my car on WM10. Its flaky and tends to get confused and stops responding......and it pisses me off. It is probably the most used feature on my phone.

BBJonbo

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I've mentioned elsewhere that Cortana is not working for me in Canada. That I am frustrated about but know it is sw related and MS will fix this. And with WaaS they wont be hindered by carriers which is another upside for me switching to WP. I do want the use of Cortana and not too happy it doesn't work as it sounds like a very useful feature. This is the one major issue I am putting up with and wished it worked.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I've mentioned elsewhere that Cortana is not working for me in Canada. That I am frustrated about but know it is sw related and MS will fix this. And with WaaS they wont be hindered by carriers which is another upside for me switching to WP. I do want the use of Cortana and not too happy it doesn't work as it sounds like a very useful feature. This is the one major issue I am putting up with and wished it worked.

I'm not in Canada, (although if I was in Calgary, I'd be cold, but comfortable :) )
Anyways, I heard if you change your region settings to US, you get Cortana without causing problems. It's been posted by a few Canucks!

ordivergens

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I have had my 950 XL for a little over a week. I have primarily used Android devices over the past few years, with the Note 5 being my current device. I tried a 635 a while back, got if for like $25 on Amazon, and totally loved it. In fact, I ended up using that as my primary phone over the Moto X Pure Edition I had at the time. Since then I have used a Lumia 640 XL, and that also fantastic. When the 950 XL came out, I was pretty sure I wanted it. The first one I got was horrible, with extremely loud creaking (as in just picking it up would give off a horribly loud creak), so I got that replaced, but I still had issues with a lot of bugs, and general instability, so I returned it.

I decided to try again, so I bought a dual sim variant from B&H, and took the .29 update. The update has drastically improved the stability of the device. I am quite happy with it. There are still some issues, like the camera being unable to focus automatically under low light (works if I tap to focus). Sometimes my settings screen will freeze, etc. Windows hello sometimes doesn't work ( I have glasses though). Some annoying issues, but overall, not nearly as bad as the first one I had. I expect things will improve further with the new firmware update.

When everything is working, things are about as fluid as my Note 5, which is good. It doesn't load apps quite as fast as the Note 5, but then again, the Note uses UFS, so that is to be expected.

The camera on this thing is fantastic! Slower than my Note 5, but the resulting pictures usually have better detail. Quite happy with it! I would say it goes toe to toe with the Nexus 6P.

However, I still love Android and will keep the Note 5 around, so that I can switch back and forth as I wish.

Overall, the 950 XL is a pretty decent phone. It doesn't feel as good in the hand, or "premium" like my Note 5, or the 6P I used to have. I am a bit disappointed by that. I thought even though it was plastic, it would have a solid build with a soft touch feel like the Nexus 5X, but unfortunately it does not. The back still creaks in multiple places, and the phone is a bit lighter than I would like. It just doesn't feel like I am holding a solid phone in my hand, like the Nexus 6P or the Note 5. I suppose I could add some post it notes or something for the creaking, but for $650, I expected better. I have a Mozo cover on the way though, so hopefully that makes it a bit better and maybe even gives it a bit more heft.

Again, with the new updates and the probably the new firmware coming out, I think this will be a very good phone. Hopefully the whole Universal Apps thing takes off well.

Haven't tried continuum yet, don't see the point when I have my desktop I built last year :) It wouldn't support my Dell's resolution anyways.

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I will wait 6-8 months and get one on an amazon Fire Sale! for $200 instead of $700. And maybe, (maybe), the OS will be usable by then ;p
Those are positives in my book lol.
Until then, I will use my 640 on 8.1 and Wait for 10 to be fixed. They should change Windows Phone name to Wait for it wait for it
lol. I kid, I kid...

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Is the XL that much worse than the 950? I got the ATT 950 on launch day. I've had maybe 3 random reboots and some Bluetooth issues, but overall I'm enjoying this phone.

anon(5329748)

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I've had my 950XL for more than a month now. My short summary is this: if you're an avid Windows phone fan, you'll enjoy it. I would not recommend it to my wife or mother, though, until Windows 10 matures. It's good, but not quite 100% yet. If all you need is a good phone, the 640 will suffice. I was initially upset with the 950 XL because it didn't seem like it was worth the price compared to the 640, but there are lots of little things that make it enjoyable. The camera is fast and excellent quality. The USB-C is great because I can attach USB thumb drives and transfer files from PC to Phone. My biggest complaint is that games take a huge hit on battery life. I know that it will get better. I've been with Windows Phone since the beginning and I'm not giving up now.

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
I have the 950 XL with double SIM slots, it may be more expensive to have 2
lines on one phone, but the advantage is a personal line and a business line on one phone. I just received
the phone and have not had a chance to open it , since I have to get with some co-workers
for an HDMI to VGA cable so I can connect it via the Hub to the computer monitor. Editing
a file using the computer monitor, keyboard, and mouse for me is much easier then using the
on board keyboard on the phone. I mentioned getting a cable from co-workers, I then can
connect the phone to the computer using the Hub, and show several co-workers how
the phone works connected to the computer.
I used to work for classroom support at Rice University, with the teaching podium in the
classrooms, the phone could be connected into the podium PC, then displayed via projector
in front of the class.

Last edited:

Ketan Panchal

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm perfectly happy with my purchase. :) You can read my review at amazonDOTin web site by the name 'Ketan Panchal'. My only major gripe currently is lack of a good twitter app, otherwise it's a beautiful experience switching from Android. :)

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Trying not to be so negative. I think not having previous Windows phone experience is why many are happy with the 950s.

I started with a 1020 running 8.0, it was bad. Then I received the 8.1 update, much better, except the phone started locking up. MS promised a fix and released it, Denim. I was on AT&T, they sat on it for months. When I received Denim, the 1020 became the phone it should have been from the start.

Now, I have the 950Xl dual-sim, great hardware, fast camera, a little large, but missing the little things that made the 1020 special to me; double tap to wake, visual voicemail, the selection of individual text messages for deletion, it was a single step process, now it takes two steps, the moving glance screen.

Those that have only had IOS or Android do not miss what they never had, I have had both. For me using the 950XL is like going from Windows 7 to Windows 8. Where did the start button go. Fortunately, someone wrote a little app to add the start button back and hide the Metro. I have commented before that the 950XL would perfect to me if it could run 8.1 Denim, but it cannot, so the 950XL stays at home and I carry the 1020. I keep hoping MS will fix something that I care about, but so far they have not.

Hamper

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, I've almost bought this phone several times now but I'm still on the fence while continuing to be happy with my Icon.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, I've almost bought this phone several times now but I'm still on the fence while continuing to be happy with my Icon.

My las phone was a Lumia 1520 and I'm really happy, the phone is better in hand, the screen is amazing, and everything feel smoother than my 1520.

What I did:

- A hard reset with buttons
- At the first time configuration, I didn't turned on wifi and didn't put my email.
- Opened the store and turned off automatic updates
- I leave my phone plugged to the charger for a while (20-30 minutes)
- Now I turned on wifi and installed the update (.29)
- After the installation, I added my email account, and update my apps

That's all, my phone is really smooth and zero issues, after 4 hours of usage (installing apps, chatting, etc) I have 80% (Windows Hello on, Glance on, Cortana off), it is more than my Lumia 1520.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs