I need to read something good about the L950XL... please?

relseh

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I am in Canada, and while I had to turn off Hey Cortana, because it was causing a similar issue (failing to act on any card deck, ie, asking for weather info was returning Bing searches instead of deck info) as described, with HC off, Cortana works perfectly (excluding the Hey Cortana part of course).

Noel Danso

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I honestly think it's firmware issues, because most of us are running the same OS build but for whatever reason both phones were released with multiple firmwares.

You could be right. The variation in people's experiences is immense. I hadn't considered the firmware. I didn't realise there was more than one at release.

Rican914

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
I have to tell you, I really, really like my new 950 XL phone. It's so easy to customize to make it yours. And the photos are incredible, the best I've ever had or seen on a phone for that matter. My daughter has the IPhone 6S plus? No comparison. Wireless charging, removable battier and SD card memory really makes this phone one of the best out there. And now I have the Band 2 and they're perfect together! So all in all, I think you will be very happy with your purchase, I am.

Last edited:

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
You could be right. The variation in people's experiences is immense. I hadn't considered the firmware. I didn't realise there was more than one at release.

I didn't either, poster "poopyfinger" (yeah, I know, what a name) noticed it. Apparently there are 5 or more firmware builds that came on these phones - and then a firmware upgrade released soon that most haven't gotten yet.

Coperyte

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
That was a very good reply which should instill some confidence in the person asking the question. I see you mentioned that you're having issues with sending picture messages with T-Mobile service. Just thought I'd add in that I bought my Lumia 950 XL from the 5th Avenue store and use T-Mobile service with no issues sending picture messages. Not sure what's the problem but I hope ur issue gets resolved soon.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Well, most issues seemed to be related to the fact that users restored from and older backup, obviously from another phone model. Yes, some have problems even with the phone set as new/clean. Maybe there are some firmware versions that are simply buggy as hell, otherwise I cannot explain how some are having zero problems and some are having tons of them (except for the OS backup restore reason). Of course there is also a possibility of a defective unit.

Simon Hefford

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
I went to ZAGG for a screen protector and they have software that allows them to machine cut a screen protector for all phones, including the 950 XL.

Same can be said for every company that supplies these, unfortunately it's not the companies at fault, the tempered glass just does not stick to the corners very well, it appears the screen is ever so slightly curved on the corners and the hard flat surface of the glass does not work together.

tropolite

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like I'm a negative nancy by what others have described here. Yep, I have a few issues with my 950XL, However, all the problems being faced with are software/OS related that can be solved by MS rolling firmware updates and OS/App updates to the phones. But I push my phone quite hard so I find issues that I post back to Windows Insider.. which is what that whole program is all about.

I love my 950XL, its hardware! It takes very impressive pictures indeed! Really. Again just issues with quick individual pictures in succession, and the issues of reviewing pictures can take a minute to 'Add the finishing touches...', all software issues.

Recently received my Mozo backplate (black leather), and it's awesome! Looks very sweet now not that I didn't like the look or feel of the stock standard 950XL to begin with, but now it has the same design elements that my Subaru BRZ has!

Friends and family that take hold of my 950XL are blown away by how light it is and how amazing the screen looks - justifiably so.

I really like my 950XL aside from all the issues with the software, that I ensure I submit detailed feedback for and address to those that can actually do something about it... as I've said before, yep there are problems but these are purely software/firmware related a Windows Insider was meant for constructive user feedback to resolve issues. It's still very early days for Win10M - I remember when Win7 came out... it had its own initial issues.

Enjoy your 950 series device... I do

Skippy07

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Well, most issues seemed to be related to the fact that users restored from and older backup, obviously from another phone model. Yes, some have problems even with the phone set as new/clean. Maybe there are some firmware versions that are simply buggy as hell, otherwise I cannot explain how some are having zero problems and some are having tons of them (except for the OS backup restore reason). Of course there is also a possibility of a defective unit.

Even the OS backup restore doesn't always cause problems. I restored from my old WP8.1 and I have next to no problems with my 950 XL.

-Skippy

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I only need one reason to love any phone, and that is the camera. The optics and the people who made the algorithms for the jpegs produced by this camera is amazing. Its so great that you can't match the JPG even if you edit the RAW file.

[ATTACH
=CONFIG]119502[/ATTACH]

Btw, this shot is handheld, no tripod.

Great picture love it...

mdefran65

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I love my 950XL I will list the best things about it, keep in mind a lot media people are purposely shunning this phone.
1. Gorgeously designed
2. Beautiful display, never seen live tiles so vibrant
3. Iris scanner is near perfect no more unlock passwords!
4. Absolutely takes the best pictures of any phone I've ever seen. STUNNNNNING pictures!!!!
5. USB type C, speaks for itself.
6. Continuum, I think will be what finally propels Windows phone to huge sales numbers, (after the media gives up trying to shun it.)
7. Battery life is very good.
9. Up to 1 terabyte SD card (waiting on my 128GB now)
10. Windows 10 keeps getting better and better.
11. Alost forgot, the triple flash really make for better pictures

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I love my 950XL I will list the best things about it, keep in mind a lot media people are purposely shunning this phone.
1. Gorgeously designed
2. Beautiful display, never seen live tiles so vibrant
3. Iris scanner is near perfect no more unlock passwords!
4. Absolutely takes the best pictures of any phone I've ever seen. STUNNNNNING pictures!!!!
5. USB type C, speaks for itself.
6. Continuum, I think will be what finally propels Windows phone to huge sales numbers, (after the media gives up trying to shun it.)
7. Battery life is very good.
9. Up to 1 terabyte SD card (waiting on my 128GB now)
10. Windows 10 keeps getting better and better.
11. Alost forgot, the triple flash really make for better pictures

*** Facts please no one is shunning the phone not a reputable site at least *** What they are saying negative is facts the OS is Janky and that you would have expected something a little more premium after waiting so long for flagship devices. Lets not do this ignoring stuff its not going to prevent someone from buying if you are just real about it I always give folks the Pro and Cons hopefully they can decide but being one sided whether negative only or positive only doesn't help any newbie trying to come over from either Android or IOS or whatever platform they were on. However I do agree with you on the 11 statements you listed especially the triple flash it does make a world of difference when shooting photos.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
As many have mentioned, the phone is ok but the OS is a nightmare compared to 8.1 in terms of speed, problems, crashes. Let's hope it won't take them forever to fix these issues

David T-Rex

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Just ordered the 950XL to replace the 640 as I wanted a bigger screen. Its a late Christmas present to myself.
I am assuming I am too late to get the free display dock? It says the promotion runs in the uk until 31 January 2016

mdefran65

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
*** Facts please no one is shunning the phone not a reputable site at least *** What they are saying negative is facts the OS is Janky and that you would have expected something a little more premium after waiting so long for flagship devices. Lets not do this ignoring stuff its not going to prevent someone from buying if you are just real about it I always give folks the Pro and Cons hopefully they can decide but being one sided whether negative only or positive only doesn't help any newbie trying to come over from either Android or IOS or whatever platform they were on. However I do agree with you on the 11 statements you listed especially the triple flash it does make a world of difference when shooting photos.

Um, I beg to differ a lot of sites aren't even mentioning the 950 and 950XL and this is just a few I'm using as an example.

and everything I mentioned is a fact!!!!

Top 10 Smartphones of 2016 | Top Ten Reviews
Best Smartphones 2016 - Top-Rated Phones on the Market
The 10 Best Smartphones of 2015 | PCMag.com

Top 10 Smartphones of 2016 | Top Ten Reviews

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb