Is Microsoft on to something?

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Also a glasses user with minimal issues on the 950's scanner. Honestly though I wouldn't mind having to lower my glasses to use them for stuff like banking, but for a phone and how frequently it needs to be unlocked it's good that it can see through the glass.

SinistraShine

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure we'll start seeing a lot of transactions (online or at physical stores) being done with the use of iris scanners. I wonder if iris scanning is more secure than using finger prints?

It isn't 100% but it's 10 times more accurate than fingerprint.. the numbers were something like 1:10 000 for fingerprint and 1:100 000 for iris..

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
This tech is a bad idea for banking. I have a sharp astigmatism, so my glasses make using an iris scanner impossible. Having to take my glasses off to go to the ATM is ridiculous, just as it's ridiculous to take off my glasses to use my phone.
Do you have a 950?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
My wife uses glasses (high prescription) and she doesn't take her off for the scanner to work.

So it's a bad idea because YOU can't use it? Wow....

It's not like it will be the only [/I ]way to ID yourself in the bank.

My eyes are bad too and I don't have to take my glasses off to unlock my Lumia 950 XL. Have you even used the 950/XL yet? If not, then I lose my faith in your speech. If you have, there's a few tutorials on here to make it 95% usable (I'll admit, there's a few times I have to raise my glasses up just to use the Iris Scanner, I won't lie and say its perfect).

Do you have a 950?

Yes, to all of you, I have a 950. I even got a Display Dock for it for Christmas. How the heck do you guys think I figured out I can't use the iris scanner? It WILL NOT read my eye with my glasses on. Having a high prescription isn't the same as having an astigmatism, either. Yes, it is bad tech to make the primary source of identification something that your customers can't use. If there's a reliable backup, fine, of course.

With an astigmatism, glasses correct it by bending the lens. It bends the light and keeps the iris scanner from properly reading your eye. I took images with Hello with my glasses off, both with the lights on and off. I went to take one with my glasses on, and I tried probably 5 times without success. I then went ahead and tried to unlock my phone. It worked the first time, but never again. I had to remove it. Having a thick lens (which my sister has) just isn't the same. I had to stop wearing semi-rimless frames because they can't hold the lenses I have to wear, due to the severity of the curve in the lens.

bilemke

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
My 950 XL will not do an initial scan with glasses on (but I believe that is the default), so I do the first scan with them off and then a second with them on. Fall back when it fails is that I am required to manually enter the pin on the phone.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes, to all of you, I have a 950. I even got a Display Dock for it for Christmas. How the heck do you guys think I figured out I can't use the iris scanner? It WILL NOT read my eye with my glasses on. Having a high prescription isn't the same as having an astigmatism, either. Yes, it is bad tech to make the primary source of identification something that your customers can't use. If there's a reliable backup, fine, of course.

With an astigmatism, glasses correct it by bending the lens. It bends the light and keeps the iris scanner from properly reading your eye. I took images with Hello with my glasses off, both with the lights on and off. I went to take one with my glasses on, and I tried probably 5 times without success. I then went ahead and tried to unlock my phone. It worked the first time, but never again. I had to remove it. Having a thick lens (which my sister has) just isn't the same. I had to stop wearing semi-rimless frames because they can't hold the lenses I have to wear, due to the severity of the curve in the lens.

I have astigmatism too. My doctors tell me its bad but even my progressive lenses, Hello works well. But that's me. Not all technology is for everyone. Even a technology like stairs will be an issue for some of the population so no worries. The pin still works.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I have astigmatism too. My doctors tell me its bad but even my progressive lenses, Hello works well. But that's me. Not all technology is for everyone. Even a technology like stairs will be an issue for some of the population so no worries. The pin still works.

How bad's your astigmatism, what's the prescription on your glasses for it? Curious as to how it compares.

On a personal level, I don't really care about Hello. I've never been one to put a PIN on my phone. I don't hand it out to strangers to use or anything, nor do I put things on there I need to hide. I just don't care to lock my phone like that, just as my desktop is set to bypass the password when I turn it on. Still, I wanted to try it out, and maybe show it off, but I couldn't. No matter how I tried, regardless of light conditions, distance, or angle I held the phone, it couldn't find my eyes through my glasses.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
How bad's your astigmatism, what's the prescription on your glasses for it? Curious as to how it compares.

On a personal level, I don't really care about Hello. I've never been one to put a PIN on my phone. I don't hand it out to strangers to use or anything, nor do I put things on there I need to hide. I just don't care to lock my phone like that, just as my desktop is set to bypass the password when I turn it on. Still, I wanted to try it out, and maybe show it off, but I couldn't. No matter how I tried, regardless of light conditions, distance, or angle I held the phone, it couldn't find my eyes through my glasses.

Not that I want to get into medicals on that level, suffice it to say my astigmatism is real and thank God for progressive optical technology. :) Sorry you didn't get to try it out but it sounds like you don't lock your phone anyway so on balance, it works out.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Like I said, show me a video of some dude removing fingerprints from a cell phone case, making a fingerprint and unlocking my phone. Maybe you read but didn't read the entire article you posted.

"An attacker would have to possess considerable skills, have access to the pricey equipment and the resources to pull off such a feat. Fortunately, that’s outside the realm of the average user who has a limited skill set and basic knowledge of biometric security."
This blows your entire theory of what is easy huh?

I'll ask again, Where does this happen besides James Bond movies?

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Look up on YouTube people making fake finger prints and opening iPhone. Also if the print is perfectly on the touch id just press it with a gummy bear. There's a vid for that too.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The answer to my question has still not been answered. Show me a guy removing a fingerprint from an iphone case and using that to unlock an iphone. This is what was contended and I have yet to see it. The gummy bear thing is not new.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
The answer to my question has still not been answered. Show me a guy removing a fingerprint from an iphone case and using that to unlock an iphone. This is what was contended and I have yet to see it. The gummy bear thing is not new.

The second guy actually has a fake fingerprint he made. Once again you see he's comparing with the iphone 5s, so I guess you can look up his initial videos of that. But either way it's a fake fingerprint and we know tape will lift a fingerprint. Or just buy a gummy bear and try not to eat it.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The second guy actually has a fake fingerprint he made. Once again you see he's comparing with the iphone 5s, so I guess you can look up his initial videos of that. But either way it's a fake fingerprint and we know tape will lift a fingerprint. Or just buy a gummy bear and try not to eat it.
ROTFL. Yes, but I want to see a video accomplishes that. Never mind, I just got the latest James Bond flick. lol.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
ROTFL. Yes, but I want to see a video accomplishes that. Never mind, I just got the latest James Bond flick. lol.
I've been following this back-and-forth with interest. I always did agree with your view, and now I'm more convinced! Those videos reveal nothing helpful. Who knows what went on before going in front of the camera?

While it is technically possible to lift a fingerprint and use it to unlock a phone, it is very difficult; beyond the realm of most people's capabilities. If someone went to the bother to do it to my phone, they would be disappointed with the return!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb