Update for Lumia 950/950 XL: 01078.00027.15506.020xx

William Sanderson

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
Posted over in the Microsoft Forums for both 950 and 950XL by armagonfin - Microsoft Support Engineer
firmware update for Lumia 950_950 XL_ 01078.00027.15506.020xx.PNG

One of the forum participants reported getting this firmware update in Germany using the WDRT tool and was able to keep the latest insider build 10586.36 after running the tool and receiving the firmware update.
I checked and the firmware update did not appear while running the check with the WDRT tool.
Update must not have rolled over to the US Servers yet.

flitzpiepe666

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
maybe a reset is not such a bad idea from time to time.. ;)
but i am getting ur Point. I am just downloading the 3gb and going to sleep. when there is no update on the phone tomorrow, i think i will update it with the tool...

William Sanderson

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
And did you update it? I am seeing the update too in WDRT but I don't want to do it because it resets the phone right?
The gentleman from Germany did use WDRT tool to get the update and it did not take his phone back to the .0 release, he kept his .36 build. So far as I know it hasn't made it here yet.

flitzpiepe666

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
well as I said the "Firmware" download is about 3gb, plus I was just watching one nice Cuba gooding jr movie as a stream, so it is still not finished :D

What I was reading in German Forums is, that die phones Software stays at .36, even if I would do a factory reset.

but I think what u meant by "it resets the phone, right?" is that everything gets deleted - and I guess that is the case because otherwise that file would be smaller!?
Or did the guys that did a Firmware update directly from the phone have to download 3gb?

William Sanderson

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
well as I said the "Firmware" download is about 3gb, plus I was just watching one nice Cuba gooding jr movie as a stream, so it is still not finished :D

What I was reading in German Forums is, that die phones Software stays at .36, even if I would do a factory reset.

but I think what u meant by "it resets the phone, right?" is that everything gets deleted - and I guess that is the case because otherwise that file would be smaller!?
Or did the guys that did a Firmware update directly from the phone have to download 3gb?
As long as you run a backup before running the tool, everything should restore after the reset sir!
I am not sure about the size of restored data...sorry :wink:
I could provide the link to the forum if you care to ask him yourself?

flitzpiepe666

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
People said, when u once had an update to .29 or .36, it will stay on the phone even after factory reset.
that was wrong, the tool brought me back to .00 but with the new Firmware. Directly after the start it downloaded the .29 update and that is on it for now.
Dont see any big changes with that new Firmware so far - but also not really any Problems/crashes...
I would say it is not REALLY worth it to do a reset just for the Firmware if ur device is running fine, but if u have Problems with crashes/rebooting, sounds from the Speaker, battery and stuff, u maybe should try.

flitzpiepe666

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
negative aspects I found so far:
the auto-brightness-Thing became worse, not better: u can set it tp 20% - locking the phone, unlocking and going back to the Action Center, you should see the Screen becoming brighter when u press on the 20% because it changes to 25%.
but it becomes darker because the brightness seems to Change back to 50% not only after rebooting the phone but also after just locking and unlocking it.
with the old Firmware and .36 preview it worked better mostly.

also the last days I was able to enable/disable Background Tasks for whatsapp and edge.
now that only works with whatsapp - I cant disable the stupid edge background-activity anymore.

Battery life did not became worse, maybe even better because I work and download with it all day now and only lost 25%.

so in the end:
if nothing really works perfectly and the battery seems to have no power: try that Firmware update!
If most of the System works, just Little bugs as the brightness-Thing - leave everything.. because the new Firmware will not fix everything but makes u some work (downloading the apps again,...)

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
also the last days I was able to enable/disable Background Tasks for whatsapp and edge.

I doubt that changed. As is with current builds Edge appears to only allow enable/disable when you use a webpage with background audio/video/javascript abilities. In other words, I have seen non-updated devices also not show an enable/disable switch, but it later shows up once a background process is triggered. If not triggered the option does not appear. I have spoken to the Edge team about it and maybe that behavior will change, but for now it is not new with this firmware AFAIK.

William Sanderson

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
I doubt that changed. As is with current builds Edge appears to only allow enable/disable when you use a webpage with background audio/video/javascript abilities. In other words, I have seen non-updated devices also not show an enable/disable switch, but it later shows up once a background process is triggered. If not triggered the option does not appear. I have spoken to the Edge team about it and maybe that behavior will change, but for now it is not new with this firmware AFAIK.

Daniel,
Many are wondering and know you do not have a crystal ball, however, do you know of any schedule or pattern for the rollout of this Firmware update?
Some individuals in the Microsoft Forum believe the release in the US is tied to a Carrier release for the Unlocked versions of the 950. Do you agree with that analogy with the direction seems to be taking with update releases?

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
People said, when u once had an update to .29 or .36, it will stay on the phone even after factory reset.
that was wrong, the tool brought me back to .00 but with the new Firmware. Directly after the start it downloaded the .29 update and that is on it for now.
Dont see any big changes with that new Firmware so far - but also not really any Problems/crashes...
I would say it is not REALLY worth it to do a reset just for the Firmware if ur device is running fine, but if u have Problems with crashes/rebooting, sounds from the Speaker, battery and stuff, u maybe should try.

The tool is a complete reflash of the device which is more than a factory reset. For a hard reset the OS will stay at whatever was on the device.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Some differences between our phones that jump out. The FW revision number is fairly different, the HW revision number is different, and the Radio SW is different.

I'm running an ATT phone in the US.

Version.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)