Why can't I run .exe files on Lumia 950?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Why cant I run .exe files on Lumia 950

There are a few app/programs I want to run on my phone because there is no app in store. But they wont run. Any suggestions.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
re: Why cant I run .exe files on Lumia 950

They should never have called it Windows, that probably put a lot of people off straight away. Should've called it Metro or something similar. In a lot of peoples eyes, when Windows phones first came out, the name Windows was associated with slow and virus ridden PCs (not really Microsoft's fault that some people can't look after their PCs sufficiently well), but that was/is the mindset of a lot of people. A different name would have put some distance between the phone software and desktop software, I realise that these days, they want the platforms to converge, but back when they first came out, a little distance may well have helped sales-wise more than it hindered. As for myself, as soon as I saw my friend's Samsung Windows phone I was hooked, and have been ever since. Had lots of Windows phones, mostly Nokia but also had a fantastic HTC 8x, have a Lumia 930 (running Win10M) atm.

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
re: Why cant I run .exe files on Lumia 950

Metro wouldn't work for the name in UK, it would just remind people of a truely dreadful Austin Rover car from the 1980's & early 90's.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why cant I run .exe files on Lumia 950

Metro wouldn't work for the name in UK, it would just remind people of a truely dreadful Austin Rover car from the 1980's & early 90's.

HAHAHAHAH, i had a Maestro, loved it... sadly two years ago a drunk taxi driver with a prostitute, got surprised by construction on his side of the road, tried to maneuver, started sliding towards my car and hit it pretty hard.

my car was disabled, he drove away, i walked out of the car trying to say something to the people around me, extremely focused everything was going in slow motion, my friend was driving in a car in front of me, stopped and came to see what happened, and i was stupidly asking him if i am in one piece, he confirmed.... then time started to speed up to how i normally perceive it.

really bad day, as an advice out of this experience, try to do good to people around you, and thank god that you can just be.

now regarding our guests question, sorry, you cant run .exe apps on your 950, for that you still need a PC.

but i would suggest you write what .exe files you would like to run, maybe people here can help.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I learned to drive in a Rover Metro, they weren't bad, a step up from any Austin branded Metro, that's for sure. If I remember rightly, they had a pretty smooth 16 valve engine, it was pretty nice to drive.

Hmm, across the pond we had the Geo Metro back before my time.

Nearby we got the DC Metro subway.

I personally think naming the OS Metro wouldn't be the best.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
This is actually a good question. During the Microsoft unveiling of upcoming hardware, they talked about using the 950 as a computer, using the Continuum display dock. But if it can't run executable files, it's not really a computer as we would expect a computer to be today. It can surf the net, read emails, and deal with MS Office files, but that's about it.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
This is actually a good question. During the Microsoft unveiling of upcoming hardware, they talked about using the 950 as a computer, using the Continuum display dock. But if it can't run executable files, it's not really a computer as we would expect a computer to be today. It can surf the net, read emails, and deal with MS Office files, but that's about it.

There are quite a few apps as well that behave differently under continuum to make the best of the larger non-phone screen as well.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site

Hmm, across the pond we had the Geo Metro back before my time.

Nearby we got the DC Metro subway.

I personally think naming the OS Metro wouldn't be the best.

You're probably right, but it shouldn't have been called Windows either, as there were no Windows as such, just tiles. Back then I think Microsoft underestimated how much Microsoft and Windows were disliked by the general public. They are slowly starting to turn that around, but it did nothing to help with sales when WP first came out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)