So I filmed my daughter this morning opening her Christmas pressies and thought it was amazing. Sent the video via whatsapp to my wife and the sound is filled with this awful static noise, really loud. I played out back on my phone with the same result. So I phoned my mum, my dad, my grandmother, my wife all with the same static noise. I should point out that it's only audible on other peoples phones and not mine during a phone call. I moved around my house to avoid interference from other objects such as WiFi, tv etc and the same result. The final straw was to roll back to windows 8.1 from the tech preview. - same result. I've only owned the phone since August and its immaculate, never dropped or anything so this is really winding me up. Had anyone else experienced this and fixed via software or is it simply a hardware fault and I should exchange the phone with Microsoft? Any advice would be most appreciated.
    12-25-2015 09:59 AM
    So I filmed my daughter this morning opening her Christmas pressies and thought it was amazing. Sent the video via whatsapp to my wife and the sound is filled with this awful static noise, really loud. I played out back on my phone with the same result. So I phoned my mum, my dad, my grandmother, my wife all with the same static noise. I should point out that it's only audible on other peoples phones and not mine during a phone call. I moved around my house to avoid interference from other objects such as WiFi, tv etc and the same result. The final straw was to roll back to windows 8.1 from the tech preview. - same result. I've only owned the phone since August and its immaculate, never dropped or anything so this is really winding me up. Had anyone else experienced this and fixed via software or is it simply a hardware fault and I should exchange the phone with Microsoft? Any advice would be most appreciated.
    Sorry to hear you got a nasty problem. You've done everything that can be done with a rollback. That includes a hard reset and a new rom (or old depending on how you look at it). If the problem still exists then it is very likely a hardware problem as you assume. In this case I would definitely contact MS about a replacement. That pretty much renders the phone close to useless. I have not seen instructions online on how to take the phone apart and check the microphone. there maybe DIY tutorials on this. However, your phone is still under warranty and they should replace it.

good luck
    12-25-2015 07:35 PM
    I contacted Microsoft support and the phone is indeed still covered under warranty, so it's stripped back to the bare bones and packaged ready to be posted via UPS. Let's hope for the best! The inly thing I think it can be is water damage and that's from fitting a screen protector using the 'wet method' but then that was only a fine mist of screen cleaner and I very much doubt any got into the mic hole.
    libra89 likes this.
    12-26-2015 03:07 AM
    12-26-2015 09:39 AM