What to do after Lumia 1520 screen got small break and it's unresponsive?

wphilal

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

Recently my sister's Lumia 1520 fell out of her hand, and before it reaches the ground, she quickly catch it, but the phone get trapped between her hand and the chair, and apparently she put too much force on the phone so that its screen got little break as in this picture: imgur . com/HKjvim2, I don't if this break is on the LCD level but it seems not, and yet it's very small, but the touch now is unresponsive from this crack and bellow including the navigation buttons. we've tried hard reset multiple times and it didn't work, and I don't know what to do right now!

Another small question, if i'm gonna replace the whole screen are the screens on AliExpress site are original? like this one : bit . ly/1IvtZJW or this one : bit . ly/1Vjvsoj

I appreciate the cooperation.

Thanks.

Note: I removed the http mark, and remove the space between the dot and the backslashes, I'm not allowed to post links because my level is just 2.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
There are numerous threads here relative to replacing the LCD assembly, so I won't repeat them.

Unless you are a pro, replace the whole assembly. Be careful even when you do that. It is nearly impossible to do glass only on this phone.

Almost nothing you can buy on AliExress is original parts. Think about what that site is - a way to get Chinese aftermarkets a market to sell their stuff. That doesn't mean that it's all bad, but it's not original.

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty sure not even Nokia repair center uses OEM parts, but decent quality replacement parts. OEM parts are simply non-existent. Look at user reviews for the best quality on a replacement display assembly. As far as installing new display assembly, plenty of videos on youtube showing you in detail how to do it.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
many of the screen that you can buy are original lcd screens, with new outer glass installed. you can tell by the scratches or glue on the metal from removing the battery and/or vibrator. these are usually fine, though sometimes the sides aren't glued down enough, so there is a slight amount of light leakage along the edge. if you buy a new one, it likely has the wrong chip on board, so that double tap to wake, and sometimes glance, won't work. you want to find one that says "Synaptics" on it. Look at the pics, and if you get something different (as happens - pic is original, part sent is not), then you can test functionality, or send it back.

if you decide to do it, read through some threads, and ask questions. it is doable, but it is also possible to damage your motherboard in the process. the most common issues are vibrator not working or battery not working, as they can be damaged in the process.

the key is go slow and be thorough, and don't try to "muscle" anything.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I'd advice you find a Nokia or Microsoft store and let them help you replace it.

this is your first post, so I don't want to be too harsh, but in general, posts like this aren't too helpful. if someone is asking for help, they likely want to know a little about whether the DIY looks like something they want to try so they can make a decision.

sending off to MS or Palco is always an option.

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I haven't personally replaced a 1520 screen, but I've replaced a few iPhone display assembly's successfully. I've even separated LCD's from the front glass w/out breaking them (gluing new glass to the LCD is another story altogether though).

I can tell from the repair videos that the 1520 display assembly is ALOT easier to replace; less things to transfer from old display to new display and just overall less complicated. I can also tell that the most difficult part would be removing the battery from the old display without damage. From what I've read, depending on when your phone was manufactured your phone will either have the old very hard to remove glue holding the battery in place, or new pull-tab glue with the pull-tab glue being far easier to deal with. It may even be a good idea to just go ahead and buy a new battery to make it even less complicated (it's under $20) since the battery most likely has some mileage on it. Good luck

AndyD33

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I haven't personally replaced a 1520 screen, but I've replaced a few iPhone display assembly's successfully. I've even separated LCD's from the front glass w/out breaking them (gluing new glass to the LCD is another story altogether though).

I can tell from the repair videos that the 1520 display assembly is ALOT easier to replace; less things to transfer from old display to new display and just overall less complicated. I can also tell that the most difficult part would be removing the battery from the old display without damage. From what I've read, depending on when your phone was manufactured your phone will either have the old very hard to remove glue holding the battery in place, or new pull-tab glue with the pull-tab glue being far easier to deal with. It may even be a good idea to just go ahead and buy a new battery to make it even less complicated (it's under $20) since the battery most likely has some mileage on it. Good luck

You are spot on in all of this. Actually, this is not probably quite as hard as an iPhone, because the whole assembly is bigger, so there's more room to work. Some of those iPhone screw replacements drive me mad because the working space is so small.

Other than the battery, sometimes the coax connectors are snapped onto the board pretty tightly, and if you're not careful, you can pull the plug off the board.

BTW - my previous response was directed at the "send it to MS/Nokia - it's way too hard for you" crowd. That is the first response of many people here. I think folks always know they can shop it off, so that doesn't help them evaluate whether this is a repair that they want to attempt on their own.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786