Charging Port Wiggle?

ElChozoLoco

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
Hello. I just received a Lumia 640 yesterday for Christmas. I absolutely LOVE the phone, but I have 2 questions I was concerned about.

1. When I first plugged in my device, I instantly noticed that I can wiggle the charger from left to right. The phone continues to charge and everything, but is this normal? Can anyone else confirm that my device isnt faulty? It doesn't wiggle that much, but it wiggles enough for it to be noticeable if I touched the cable. Like I said though, it doesn't affect the charging at all. My old HTC Desire 610 seems to wiggle as well.

2. Double tap to wake doesn't work 100% of the time. I've been using my phone non-stop since I got it, and I've noticed 1 of 2 things with the DTTW feature. First is that when you take it out of a pocket, you have to give it a second before trying to use the DTTW feature. 2nd thing is that when the device is laying on a desk or table, I sometimes have to double tap twice to get it to wake up. Someone suggested tapping just the bottom half when it's flat on a desk, and that seems to work 100% now. Anyone else have this too?

I'd really appreciate if some people could reply and tell me their experiences with these problems, and if it's normal and that i'm just paranoid.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I love my Lumia 640 as well. Welcome to Club 640!

1. I have 5 official Microsoft/Nokia chargers made for the Lumia 635 and 640 laying around the house. I also have numerous microUSB charging and Sync cables. Some of these cables/chargers will fit the port snugly and not wiggle. Others seem to go on with ease and have a bit of wiggle room. Others are very stiff to push on/pull off. It all breaks down to this: It depends on the batch of connectors being made. Machining parts can be as accurate as 1/100th of an inch, and some machines can get it down to 1/250th of an inch, but there is still enough room for error that you will feel the difference between snug and wiggly on such parts. It's the nature of the beast, so don't worry about it. If the port itself inside the phone can be wiggled, then you've got a loose connection to the mainboard and it needs to be replaced.

2. The way you describe getting double tap to wake to work is exactly how it is designed to work. The issue with every situation you describe is due to the "proximity sensor" detecting that it is covered, so it believes it may be in a pocket or up against your face. This prevents accidental waking, accidental launching of apps, and accidental dialing of numbers while in a pocket, etc. The proximity sensor is at the top of the phone, hence the reason that making sure you don't cover the top half of the phone with your hand while you tap will make it work better. Once an object has moved away from the proximity sensor, it takes a second or so to recognize it and give the "all clear" to allow taps.

Hope that helps.

ElChozoLoco

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
so I shouldn't worry about the charging port? how can I tell if it's the cable, or the actual port? I tried an old charger, and it seemed a lot tighter. Should I be ok?

DEATH INC

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
I have three of them and they all have varying movement left to right depending on the cable used, I wouldn't worry about it too much, its just the cable itself and not the actual port. The amount of give changes depending on the usb charging cord I use, on some there is next to none and on others a bit of it. Like I said, the port isn't moving, just the connector and I have experienced this on several phones over the years without any issues.

As far as double tap to wake goes mine also functions in a similar fashion so that is of no concern. Hopefully the previous replies and my corroborating experience help put your mind at ease a bit.

Enjoy your new Lumia!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077