Used Lumia 1520 Questions

NiceBoy10

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone, I just bought a Lumia 1520 from eBay used 8/10 condition but I see a lot of scratches on screen and back. I got it for $190 and was wondering if I should return it or get another one. Currently I don't have any issues with the scrolling tap bug and everything is fine.
1) would you recommend me to exchange the device and get another one in mint condition for $40 extra? Should I take the risk and get the other one but what if it has the scroll and tap issue.
2)Is it possible to get a screen protector to hide scratches on the screen? Most of them are really light but one or two cause rainbow effect on the screen.
3) would you exchange it or be happy with it?
4) Is there any screen protector that you suggest that can keep the original feel and hide scratches?

Just to add that the scratches are not that visible when using the phone only when it is off or on a black screen.

I know I might seem a bit weird asking this questions but this is the only way that will make me feel good and see what to do. Thank you.

Jas Holden

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
In my opinion, for $190 you should have gotten one with either no scratches or only minor scratches on the screen.

If you keep it, get one of the hard two piece, snap-on clamshell covers on ebay. The two piece cover prevents flexing that leads to the phantom touch problem and will cover scratches on the back. The one I use was $5.

Cleaning and polishing the screen with a soft cloth will help with the scratches on the screen.

NiceBoy10

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I talked to the seller and he agreed to give me a $20 discount. So for $170 what do you think? Also I bought a tempered glass from eBay to hide some of the scratches. Do you think it would help to hide the scratches? I will post some pics here and then you can tell me if it was good buy.

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I got mine for $179.99 - 9 out of 10 condition from Wirelessmarket1 on ebay a few weeks ago. The housing was indeed 9 out of 10 condition and the screen was flawless (no scratches), although there are bright spots on bright backgrounds but you'd have to be looking hard to notice. I believe the seller got a hold of a lot of AT&T 1520 replacement units.

Was originally going to get a 930, but for $180 the condition would've been less than perfect. The 1520 is still the best Windows phone money can buy. If you go into Best Buy and compare the 950 with your 1520, the 1520 will open apps at same time or faster - plus the screen is brighter and bigger. $170 is a good deal; a screen protector will hide imperfections on the screen nice.

NiceBoy10

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
These are the pictures. I heard some smudges look like scratches and you can use a eye optical glass cleaner to get rid of them. I might try that. When using the device, I can only see two or three scratches and thats only on white screen like a rainbow effect.
WP_20151227_001.jpgWP_20151227_004.jpgWP_20151227_017.jpgWP_20151227_002.jpg

NiceBoy10

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
The only reason I am nervous to order another one is because I would not like to have one with a phantom touch issue or any other one that is mostly associated with the 1520.

NiceBoy10

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Yes that's what I am going to do. Also I submitted a repair claim to Microsoft because I have lots of bright spots on screen. It shows out of warranty but it says if you have proof of purchase they can do it. Do you think eBay counts as a proof of purchase? I wouldn't really care with scratches at the back now as I would get a case with tempered glass at front.

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Ebay definitely doesn't count. Its a used phone that's past warranty and "as is" so to speak. This is how you were able to buy for $170 instead of $500. But if you have an issue, I'm sure the seller would work with you. I also have some bright spots, but at the price I paid it's not a problem: it's an awesome phone.

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
These are the pictures. I heard some smudges look like scratches and you can use a eye optical glass cleaner to get rid of them. I might try that. When using the device, I can only see two or three scratches and thats only on white screen like a rainbow effect.
View attachment 119555View attachment 119556View attachment 119557View attachment 119558

Screen protector would fill in/hide all those scrathes no problemo. Especially one of those wet install based protectors like http://www.amazon.com/Skinomi®-Tech...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3357707

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I use a glass screen protector, it doesn't stick at the edges on account of the beveled edges of the screen. I will be getting a skinomi

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site

I ordered a brand New Black 1520 (all original box, charger, cables ect) on ebay, the seller had like 10 of them all unlocked AT&T versions for $220(a few have sold, not sure how many he has left), he is asking more but accepted my offer of 220, he's a safe seller with 100%positive feedback for over 1400 sales.. if you want to try and return the one you got or if anyone else is interested in one IM me and I'll give you the link... Reason I would only go new is like mewcatchew I didn't want scratches anywhere on the phone and wanted a battery I knew hadn't been thru hundreds of charging cycles seeing it's not a true replaceable battery... There were a few new at Amazon but priced much higher..

bizzy-glx

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Try taking your 1520 to your local shopping mall, visiting one of those mom and pop cellular stores/kiosks, that repair and refurb mobile devices.

I figure if they can fix full on cracked screens, I wouldn't be surprised if they had some professional cleaning/polishing solutions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven