Unhappy Lumia 950 Camper

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE:

Anyway, to try and solve my 950's issues I went through the hassle of doing a "hard" reset last night, and then spent a couple annoying hours reinstalling apps and getting everything else sorted out since I opted to do a clean install.

So in the first time you did not set it as a clean phone? You restored from an older backup from another Lumia model?
If this is the case why do you even wonder that you've had problems?? DON'T RESTORE from an OLDER DIFFERENT model!!! Is it so hard to understand?? Is that so hard to set it as NEW and be done with it? Sorry for the CAPS but more and more complain of issues after restoring from a backup that is not even from the same phone model.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
When tons of people (the OP here is FAR from the only one saying these problems) are claiming the same issues and you sit back and defend Microsoft by saying and I quote you

and here is another one...

showing signs of defending Microsoft for releasing a phone, charging $600 or $650 for and it comes with buggy software. Not sure how ANYONE could be defending Microsoft for doing this. Let's go to the store and spend $600 on a device that wont work right for 3-6 months. Really ? People DONT have an issue with this ?

The 950 and 950XL should of been delayed 3-4 months to do bug fixes to get it to 8.1 levels.... Now public reviews are flaming the phone that is already suffering from poor marketshare... This just makes it far worse for a Windows Phone fan like myself.

Sorry but, Microsoft needs to see this stuff and address it YESTERDAY.

Bad PR, BAD Marketing, and even worse the CEO! I hope the board members are now happy with the "awesome job" that Satya did so far...NOT!

janjak

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
Problem is, WP may be ok on many levels, but Microsoft is trying to get users from Apple and Google - both delivering very polished and stable services across the board. Tons of fantastic apps, loads of hardware. Especially iOS delivers superb functionality on all fronts and supports just about anything, has all apps and software. Never a glitch (especially compared to WP).

If you want to trump that you have to at least deliver something that works without error. When the software is not ready and the apps lacking then it just makes everything worse. I was really eager to get the 950, but I am now looking at the iPhone 6S instead. I can't risk having a phone at work that I can't rely on.

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
So in the first time you did not set it as a clean phone? You restored from an older backup from another Lumia model?
If this is the case why do you even wonder that you've had problems?? DON'T RESTORE from an OLDER DIFFERENT model!!! Is it so hard to understand?? Is that so hard to set it as NEW and be done with it? Sorry for the CAPS but more and more complain of issues after restoring from a backup that is not even from the same phone model.
You should be able to do this without issue, but it does make me wonder if a lot of the issues people are having are related to this process of restoring a backup from another model. Maybe that's why some people seem to be having all sorts of issues and others are having a great experience. I'm loving my 950. Its a huge upgrade from my 1020.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes many people backup data from old phone and face problems. And cry then....why people forget blunders of iPhones to android...i rem when Sony released their phone and sd 810 was a culprit when camera crashed and phone was heating up like crazy....there is 500 million $ case on apple that they purposely slow down old models with firmware upgrade Soo the buyer has to buy a new phone....that way the windows so works great on 40$ phone or 700$ phone....newaz iam off for holiday..happy new years guys...god bless u all

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site

Why such anger? If Microsoft offers the option to restore then that option should WORK. It's not ridiculous to think it should WORK. Sorry for the CAPS, but Microsoft SHOULDN'T offer the OPTION to do SO if it's not EXPECTED to WORK correctly.

:p

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Some of the issues I've had seem related to doing a restore. Particularly since the phone decided to install a bunch of apps that were indicated as incompatible with Windows 10.

While I wasn't having significant problems beforehand I decided to do a factory reset and manually install apps. That seems to have helped. I got rid of the non-functional Lumia Help+Tips app I couldn't uninstall. More importantly, my Band has been working properly for about a week, but we'll see if it stays that way.

Interestingly, a friend just got a Lumia 640XL, running WP8.1, and they initially tried doing a restore from their old 1520. They ran into problems which included the majority of apps being disabled due to some issue. Again, a factory reset and clean install helped.

So the issue doesn't seem to be exclusive to Windows 10.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Why such anger? If Microsoft offers the option to restore then that option should WORK. It's not ridiculous to think it should WORK. Sorry for the CAPS, but Microsoft SHOULDN'T offer the OPTION to do SO if it's not EXPECTED to WORK correctly.

:p

Sorry, there was no anger. But when it's clear that restoring from another phone model does not work or even worse from another phone model and OS version, and users are still doing it, many things are pretty obvious about those users when they even come here to complain about issues. Most are just being lazy about reinstalling manually all the apps and setting up the phone. Eventually then, if you do another restore on the new device sometime, to install from the backup of the same device and same os version but never from another model, and much more worse, from another os version. :)) For God's sake even iphones freak out when restoring backups from different models and os versions.

smartass1379

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, there was no anger. But when it's clear that restoring from another phone model does not work or even worse from another phone model and OS version, and users are still doing it, many things are pretty obvious about those users when they even come here to complain about issues. Most are just being lazy about reinstalling manually all the apps and setting up the phone. Eventually then, if you do another restore on the new device sometime, to install from the backup of the same device and same os version but never from another model, and much more worse, from another os version. :)) For God's sake even iphones freak out when restoring backups from different models and os versions.
This should work as its been said before, who the heck wants to do a clean install everytime they get a new phone!?

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
This should work as its been said before, who the heck wants to do a clean install everytime they get a new phone!?

It's been reported here that restoring from a backup caused issues, but I setup my 950 from a restore and has no problems with it.

While it very well may be the root problem for some, I think most people are grasping at straws to point to a cause. My personal opinion that problems are resulting from the various firmware builds, but who knows.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I've got an AT&T 950 that I picked up about six weeks ago. Accordingly, I'm well beyond the 14-day return policy but I want to get rid of this piece of junk, which is easily the worst phone I've ever owned. I may have posted about this in another forum but I can't remember.

Here are some of the issues I've been facing:

• Locks up at least twice a day
  • Watching YouTube videos in Edge often causes the phone to restart
  • It occasionally restarts and/or locks up during phone calls, which is SUPER convenient
  • Battery life is disappointing at best
  • Bluetooth connectivity is iffy in different vehicles
  • Speakerphone hasn't worked on several occasions, necessitating calling the person back
  • With Windows Hello enabled the phone is always warm, though it randomly got hot to the touch last night for no reason (Hello was and still is turned off)
  • The camera *literally* takes one minute to finish "adding the finishing touches" to photos (I timed it)
  • It locked up today while I was using the flashlight ...

What should I do, take it to a Microsoft store to see if they'll exchange it? I've tried going to AT&T in the past and they're absolutely awful -- dismissive and basically unwilling to help.

Should I perform a reset? If so, how do I do that and will it make any difference?

Have any other AT&T victims ... I mean, customers received the latest firmware update, .36 IIRC? Is there a way to force this update?

I don't need 18 million apps or games. All I want is a good browser, a nice e-mail client and a decent maps application. I want a handset that's reliable, fast, smooth and simple, things that Windows Phone always used to stand for. I've owned these devices exclusively since I got my first smartphone about five years ago, the Samsung Focus if any of you remember. During that time I've been quite happy with the platform, but Windows 10 Mobile has undone all of that.

My buddy's owned every other iPhone (all on AT&T) since the original came out in 2007. He basically NEVER has issues with anything ... ever. They're rock-solid and, as Apple always claims, just work. I want that, too, and the Lumia 950, or maybe this particular device, fails to deliver on so many levels. I'm ready to switch to iPhone -- and never look back -- if things do not improve soon.

Thanks!

Bro, I understand and feel your emotions but look at what happens in the apple world. I have attached two screenshots for you, from the apple world.

At least Microsoft has given the option to downgrade to another OS or reinstall the OS.
macrumors.PNGmacrumors1.PNG

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

FWIW, I do.

I don't have a 950 or 950 XL, but I have used a lot of different Windows Phones. I never restore from another phone model backup and would not dream of doing it across different OS versions.

IMHO people make too much of an issue of having to do a fresh setup on a device. It is a known fact: nothing runs so well as a clean install. It has aways been this way and has never changed.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Restore should be renamed to Crapshoot. You are essentially rolling the dice, the 12 sided kind, with weights ever so closer to the ones. A similar disclaimer to joining the insider program should accompany the Restore function at minimum.

Edit: The weights would be slightly opposite the ones, as Snake Eyes aren't Snake Eyes if they land against the playing surface. 8^|

Last edited:

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I have to reset my work-issued iphone 5c weekly because the swipe to unlock won't work. Apple marketing and reality are not always the same. Then there's the issue of hating to use it. I absolutely freaking hate using the iphone. It just doesn't work the way I think.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
We should indeed be grateful that we can restore to an older OS, as for iphones, the situation is not pretty. My ipad air which is not a very old model, runs ios 9.2 like crap! Can I downgrade back to 8? Nope, so forget Apple and their stupid policies.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Have be using Lumia 950 ds since 3 weeks now...and Soo far iam happy...everthing works the way it should....iam coming from using Lumia 1020 for 3 years...soo compare to that Lumia 950 is lightning fast...thou iam trying to get used to not having xenon flash for nite shots...thou triple flash does a decent job..i only issue i faced was on ver 36 where hey Cortana was not available and living images stop working...soo using wdrt i got latest firmware and then upgraded to ver 29 and iam happy....good battery life...
Thou camera needs improvement....new firmware or OS can make the phone mire awesome....thou the camera is very fast even compared to my lg g4...

AzurAccess

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
I've been using a Lumia 735 for the last year (convert from iOS), and while I love WP8.1 (update 2, Denim), I've been eagerly awaiting the new 950 for its faster processor and superior camera. So the new phone came over the holidays. And I hated it so much after 2 days that I immediately returned it and have reverted to my 735. This was not a case of not liking the new 950 and its W10Mobile just because it's new or different, but because it's clearly (IMHO) inferior. Here's my summary of what's wrong with Windows 10 Mobile as run on the Lumia 950:

Phone -
Cheap side buttons, very poor feel.
Indifferent styling and colors.
Washed out screen colors & display.
Still has audio jack on top.

OS -
Despite nominally fast processor and ample RAM, apps often open slowly and there is lots of lag throughout user experience. Often worse than on my Lumia 735. (NB: I did a fresh install, not restored from backup.)
Poor use of screen real estate: Icons are crude and clunky given the size and nominal quality of display available. Especially bad:
OneDrive - much worse than WP8.1
Mail app looks worse, missing functionality.
Feels like entire interface has been dumbed down, made more childish
Icon and font design: muted and dull compared to 8.1. Also, fonts are often too small or too big, and UI is not as well integrated. In many places words are cut off at bottom of screen despite plenty of room available.
Contextual presses don't work or are non existent as compared to WP8.1. Overall feel is clumsy
Unlock buttons don't highlight when touched.
Settings are harder to navigate methodically: wrong headed attempt to show related settings doesn't permit backing out to same location you started, hence cannot work down settings in comprehensive way
Quick access settings are flawed: rather than taking you to, say, Wi-Fi so that you can select/change network, now the quick access buttons act as on/off toggles. To get access to the actual function you have to take a longer route.
Several settings that used to allow live tile views, like data sense and storage sense, are no longer available.
Many settings are no longer available to pin to start, eg. Call Block.
Edge browser: Dreadful and half baked.
Favorites don't transfer from WP8.1;
Missing functionality: Swiping back and forth between pages doesn't work.
Many other issues, like swipe writing doesn't work in Edge despite it working elsewhere in OS
Camera:
Despite supposed superior ability, nothing special is apparent (maybe due to poor screen quality, see above).
Non intuitive control of camera operation, eg. Live capture taken when it's not intended.
Phone and message apps: Often long lags in receiving notifications
Weather app: Now shows next three hours on live tile rather than next three days, not as useful.
App Store is dreadful, way worse!
Many apps choose hamburger menu convention when they don't need to. Older style felt more natural
Office suite: While it can be nice to be able to edit docs from phone, most usual use case is simple viewing. Now to view you're in editing mode by default - dangerous! It was better under WP8.1.
Some apps aren't available in new OS.
Thumbnail photos are now round instead of square in people app, example of stupid change for change sake.
Maps are terrible! Whereas old Here Maps worked well new replacements don't do same things, and details are washed out (inexplicable given the nominally superior screen). The maps look bad.
Music app, Grove: Maybe ok, but interface is very different and it wasn't clear that my music collection was intact or fully available as before.
Photos app: loses favorites, so can't use them for live tile. Not as good since less control over what shows on live tile.
Windows Hello isn't practical, should've been finger ID.

General comment: many of the clear deteriorations in the new phone OS are probably an artifact of trying to implement a single OS across all devices and form factors, which in turn suggests this single OS approach is flawed, at least with respect to use on a phone. I doubt Continuum will be more than a gee-whiz item, and so it's a case of the tail waging the dog, sacrificing phone utility for an imagined but not actual nor useful integration.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb