Dual Sim vs Single Sim

wasim sallam

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
is there any differences between dual and single sim of 950XL?
I mean like performance and of course mobile data connection or call quality?

loukkis

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This.
Lumia 950 XL Dual sim:
LTE max data speed DL: 150 Mbps (Cat 4)
Lumia 950 XL:
LTE max data speed DL: 300 Mbps (Cat 6)

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
A difference is the max download speed on LTE but because nearly no provider has CAT 6 "towers" you will not notice this difference.

950 XL
LTE max. data speed DL: 300 Mbps (Cat 6)
LTE max. data speed UL: 50 Mbps (Cat 6)

950 XL dual
LTE max data speed DL: 150 Mbps (Cat 4)
LTE max data speed UL: 50 Mbps (Cat 4)

Martin Zone

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Just want to add that Cat4 phones (dualsim) can't utilize 4G LTE-A network which offers up to 300 Mbps theoretical speed (real world speeds upto 100 Mbps with Cat6 antennas), so they would work like normal single 4G LTE (150 Mbps with real world speeds upto 30Mbps).
So if speed matters, go for the single sim with Cat6 radio.

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
Visual Voicemail on the single-SIM works perfectly on AT&T! I just got the PIN prompt and voila, it works great. LTE too. Everything is perfect. So glad I returned the $700 hacky dual-sim one and got a sub $600 gently used one on Swappa!

http://i.imgur.com/uf80HKF.png

What a pleasant surprise. I see no reason for anyone to buy the dual-sim...Microsoft should have launched the single SIM in the states. Oh well.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I see no reason for anyone to buy the dual-sim.
Well then, it's good that Microsoft didn't ask just one person what to do. :wink:

I need two phone numbers and I don't want to carry two phones all of the time. I seldom get voicemail because my phones are with my pretty much always. So, in weighing the convenience of carrying only one phone against the inconvenience of not having visual voicemail, I choose carrying one phone. And I hope that Microsoft is able to do a software update to add VVM to dual-SIM devices. I also know that they can't do a software update to add a second SIM slot to the single-SIM devices.

They make both devices because different users have different needs.

Penecho

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I think the difference between cat6 and cat4 is not noticeable in your "usual daily use" except if you watch 4k Netflix on your mobile device and using your data and not wifi^^

Here in Europe Dual SIM is the best thing that could have happened. There are alot of offers here (similar to slickdeals) where you can get a data only SIM for free/very little money (I'm talking about under 5 bucks). So for us/me it is very conveniant to have one contract with just a flatrate/unlimited calling and no data and then have another contract with free/cheap data. So for around 10/15 USD you can have everything with 2 SIM's :)

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
Well then, it's good that Microsoft didn't ask just one person what to do. :wink:

They make both devices because different users have different needs.
That's great! Dual-SIM fits your needs perfectly. My point is you are an edge case, at least in the US...99.9% of Americans have one single phone line and one single need for a SIM. But Microsoft decided to offer the dual-SIM model only in the US, which has serious tradeoffs with US carriers. That frustrates and confuses their target market. They are offering only a dual-SIM to the masses who just want their $700 device to work with their carrier (yes, VVM is a big deal to most). Makes little sense to me personally. Instead, you have to find an international model originally produced for China and import it if you want it to fully work with a US carrier. What?

My point is, for the vast majority of people in the US, the single SIM model will be better. I read somewhere that AT&T will not support VVM on a dual-SIM phone period, so a software update may not be able to fix things.

I stand by my point. Single SIM is the way to go in the US unless you have a very specific need for two lines on one device. I do not. YMMV. Microsoft either needs to offer the single-SIM variant in the US or pressure AT&T to fix VVM incompatibility.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I see no reason for anyone to buy the dual-sim

I personally don't need a dual sim phone but I can think of reasons people would want one. For example: avoiding having to carry two phones - one for personal use and one for work. Pop in a second SIM and you're done. Quite a blanket statement you made.

Microsoft should have launched the single SIM in the states. Oh well.

That, I agree with.

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
I personally don't need a dual sim phone but I can think of reasons people would want one. For example: avoiding having to carry two phones - one for personal use and one for work. Pop in a second SIM and you're done. Quite a blanket statement you made.

That, I agree with.
Yeah, I love the concept of consolidating my work and personal line on the weekends, but alas my work device is Verizon. It'll be a huge benefit to some, but confusing to everyone else IMO. Sorry for the sweeping blanket statements, but I think most average consumers will avoid the dual-SIM phone in the US because they just don't need it. IMO as every internet post is.

BBJonbo

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
In Canada my dual sim is awesome. Our carriers still charge very high roaming fees. I travel to the US a fair bit and always swap my sim out and use a US sim. Will be great keeping both installed and love the interface of switching and dealing with both sims. I wanted the dual sim and the MS on-line store in Canada only offers the single sim. Thankfully the website is wrong and they actually ship the dual sim. My carrier the largest in the country only provides visual voice mail to iPhones which sucks. So having the dual sim in Canada I don't lose that feature as it is not available.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea