Just got RM-1085 (USA - AT&T)

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
I originally had a launch day US XL (RM-1116) and ended up returning it...now I'm back in the saddle because of a cheap ($575 shipped w/continuum dock, Incipio case, tempered glass) deal on another XL. I have hope for the platform I guess.

When I bought it I didn't pay close enough attention to the "this is an international model" comment and was a bit surprised when I opened the box to discover a huge USB-C Hong Kong plug with a US adapter. Also, the phone is single-nano SIM...which made me a bit nervous since the US unlocked XL is dual-SIM (don't need that).

After a bit of nervous googling, I realized there is nothing to worry about, save for no warranty I guess (not a huge deal). It's the same thing as what Microsoft is selling in the states, but has one SIM and different firmware. Hopefully this model receives faster updates vs. the dual-SIM one. Perhaps visual voicemail works on AT&T? Gonna find out...

So I'm going to get it set up on AT&T and see if everything works out. It's already running the 01078.00027.15506.xxxx firmware update, so that's a really good sign!

I believe Expansys is selling this model as well, so nothing to worry about like I did...will let you guys know if I run into any issues.

Last edited:

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I believe I read that VVM will work. Also, you'll probably want a charger that works with not just the phone but the Display Dock. In my experience, this third-party one is great with the dock, whereas the Google dual-port one didn't work for me (though you'll need another USB-C to USB-C cable from the charger to the Dock or the charger to the phone too):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3358985

Either way, make sure you go for a native USB-C charger if you want it powerful enough for the dock (which requires 3A).

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Aah, I didn't see the part that it came with the international -> US adapter and assumed you'd want a US one. Never mind. :D

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
Aaaand Visual Voicemail DOES work on AT&T. No setup, no fuss. Just put your SIM in and dial voicemail a few times. Boom, it pops up.

I highly recommend everyone on AT&T (and T-Mobile?) in the US to get the single-SIM RM-1085 version. It works perfectly on AT&T in the US.

http://i.imgur.com/uf80HKF.png

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
That is great news. About VVM.

Here's a question - did you get the firmware update that rolled out recently to some devices? (Or what firmware version is installed?)

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
It's running the latest firmware. And the OS version is the most current...the seller told me he never ran the Insider preview (he had no clue what that was) so it has that OTA support out of the box!

http://i.imgur.com/bmRymco.png

http://i.imgur.com/NDDbdiO.png

I got it on Swappa. Was bummed at first that it was single-SIM (thought it would have been the dual-SIM that MSFT sells in the US) but after getting over it and realizing it works better with AT&T than the actual model they are selling in the US, I am stoked.

Expansys and most online shops are selling the single-SIM variant. I'd 100% recommend anyone in the US buy this one over the dual-SIM, unless you have an actual need for two lines on one device - I do not. VoLTE doesn't work (no shock there) but at least VVM does - and that's huge to me.

I'm honestly puzzled as to why Microsoft isn't selling this model in the US. It work perfectly with AT&T.

bilemke

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Additionally you guys can get same single SIM 950 XL which runs at faster LTE speeds than the dual sim variant @ Microsoft Lumia 950 XL LTE

Appreciate the link, as in other threads.

But note to others, LTE speed bump isn't all that much gain unless you are able to even get that bandwidth where you are at and have some serious hotspot functionality need for that bandwidth. 100mbps even seems crazy for a device like this phone to use for itself.

Byu1

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
Does the single version suffer the hardware problem as the dual sim version? I had the dual sim version from Microsoft last month and had to returned it because of the hardware problem. The 3 windows button on the bottom light up when phone is powered off and phone get warm, battery drop fast.

I just purchased the single sim version on ebay. I hope the single sim version does not suffer the same problem.

The RM-1085 suppose to be hong kong version.

Will it received US firmware update and insider build?

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
Does the single version suffer the hardware problem as the dual sim version? I had the dual sim version from Microsoft last month and had to returned it because of the hardware problem. The 3 windows button on the bottom light up when phone is powered off and phone get warm, battery drop fast.

I just purchased the single sim version on ebay. I hope the single sim version does not suffer the same problem.

The RM-1085 suppose to be hong kong version.

Will it received US firmware update and insider build?

I don't have any of those issues. And it's on the latest firmware and .63 insider installs fine. For some reason insider builds wouldn't install on the single SIM, but that's since been rectified.

kappatau808

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
only issue i have with getting single sim version is warranty. i see them on amazon which is great, i have amazon credit so i don't have to spend the whole $600 at once. but my problem is warranty. after 30 days what happens if there are issues and i need it replaced

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital