OWNERS: 950XL questions

AnkitGondalia

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Anyone owning a 950XL please answer the questions..
1.battery life on lite,medium&heavy usage?
2.performance
3.crashes,random reboots or freezing?
4. Does it get hot like other 810 phones? Does liquid cooling really help it to stay cool?
5.worth buying than 1520?
6.is the software part bad?

plinko

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Got my 950xl in first batch about a month ago.
1. Battery life improved after last insider build. I've only had to charge my phone a couple of times during the day, so it almost always makes it through the day for me. My typical daily use consists of internet browsing, podcasts, some games, and YouTube. Overall I've been happy with battery life. Don't forget that it charges insanely fast with the Usb c charger.

2. Performance has been fine. Rarely do I notice any phone caused lag.

3. I've had 6 to 8 freezes requiring a soft reset. Twice it has rebooted on its own.

4. I have not had any other 810 based phones. It gets very warm during charging and during a couple of games. Not sure how you define hot though. It certainly never gets uncomfortably warm.

5. I moved up from a 920. Was definitely worth it to me.

6. Win10 has worked fine on this phone. Much better than it did on my 920.

I really love this phone.

AnkitGondalia

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Got my 950xl in first batch about a month ago.
1. Battery life improved after last insider build. I've only had to charge my phone a couple of times during the day, so it almost always makes it through the day for me. My typical daily use consists of internet browsing, podcasts, some games, and YouTube. Overall I've been happy with battery life. Don't forget that it charges insanely fast with the Usb c charger.

2. Performance has been fine. Rarely do I notice any phone caused lag.

3. I've had 6 to 8 freezes requiring a soft reset. Twice it has rebooted on its own.

4. I have not had any other 810 based phones. It gets very warm during charging and during a couple of games. Not sure how you define hot though. It certainly never gets uncomfortably warm.

5. I moved up from a 920. Was definitely worth it to me.

6. Win10 has worked fine on this phone. Much better than it did on my 920.

I really love this phone.
Ok so battery life is not good for me if it only last a day.. I think is time to go for 1520 though i would miss win hello.. :/

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
If you are buying, I would go with 950XL since it will be better supported for a while and it is a really good phone. If the phone is mostly on WiFi, it lasts for a while.

If you are upgrading from the 1520, then you can wait as it is still a really good phone.

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 1520 and was really looking to upgrade until I actually held the Lumia 950xl in my hand. It felt cheap to me and to much like the Lumia 640. I understand you can change the back cover etc but for the ?400+ price I couldn't hand over the money. I know it's a great phone with great features but it feels way worse than my 1520.
I love the Galaxy Edge phone, it feels expensive and looks expensive but there's not a hope of me buying an android phone as Windows works perfectly for me.
I can't think what Microsoft were thinking, it's a pity they didn't put those leather backs you can buy on all the display phones in the stores plus supply the phone with one of those free.
Guess I will have to wait to see the Hp or Acer phone or wait even longer for a the Surface Phone.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia 1520 and was really looking to upgrade until I actually held the Lumia 950xl in my hand. It felt cheap to me and to much like the Lumia 640. I understand you can change the back cover etc but for the ?400+ price I couldn't hand over the money. I know it's a great phone with great features but it feels way worse than my 1520.
I love the Galaxy Edge phone, it feels expensive and looks expensive but there's not a hope of me buying an android phone as Windows works perfectly for me.
I can't think what Microsoft were thinking, it's a pity they didn't put those leather backs you can buy on all the display phones in the stores plus supply the phone with one of those free.
Guess I will have to wait to see the Hp or Acer phone or wait even longer for a the Surface Phone.

I have a Lumia 640 and the feel is totally different. If you think that the Edge (and E+) hasn't any issues, you are totally wrong, and a friend of mine has the Edge (not +) and he liked my Lumia 950 XL, the black one is elegant.

GnarlyBone

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
Battery: Ok / from 7.00 - 23.00 15% left medium heavy use.

Performance: Don't think we hit spot perfect yet in win 10. Had a few pocket reboots other then that no hang ups. Latest .39 improved many things. No freezes.

First week I thought the cooling was bad but think it has improved.
Overall I really like this phone and os.

ordivergens

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I had a Nexus 6P with an 810. The 950 XL gets hotter than the Nexus, but I would say it is still warm, and not hot. It would actually make more sense for the 950 XL to run hotter than other devices with the 810. The heatpipe does a better job of moving the heat away from the CPU and dissipating it, thus the phone will still get quite warm, but the CPU will be able to stay at higher clocks than most devices with the 810 because so much heat is being removed with the heatpipe.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I had a Nexus 6P with an 810. The 950 XL gets hotter than the Nexus, but I would say it is still warm, and not hot. It would actually make more sense for the 950 XL to run hotter than other devices with the 810. The heatpipe does a better job of moving the heat away from the CPU and dissipating it, thus the phone will still get quite warm, but the CPU will be able to stay at higher clocks than most devices with the 810 because so much heat is being removed with the heatpipe.

The battery add some heat

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 640 and the feel is totally different. If you think that the Edge (and E+) hasn't any issues, you are totally wrong, and a friend of mine has the Edge (not +) and he liked my Lumia 950 XL, the black one is elegant.

I'm not saying there's not any issues with the Edge and Edge plus, I'm just saying they feel and look expensive. If an edge plus came out with Windows 10 on it, I'd be first in line to buy it.
I really wanted the 950xl but like I said it's not better enough than my Lumia 1520 to justify the price.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm not saying there's not any issues with the Edge and Edge plus, I'm just saying they feel and look expensive. If an edge plus came out with Windows 10 on it, I'd be first in line to buy it.
I really wanted the 950xl but like I said it's not better enough than my Lumia 1520 to justify the price.

I have a Lumia 1520 and for me it justify the price:
- A better camera
- Windows Hello
- Continuum
- Support for USB Dual role, and the fast charge is great
- Better screen (yes, and a lot better)
- Better and cooler processor (my L1520 is really hot with some games)
- Lighter

And the polycarbonate feel is better on my 950 XL than on my 1520.

A54D

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
2.performance
4. Does it get hot like other 810 phones? Does liquid cooling really help it to stay cool?

1. Battery life has been amazing. With medium to heavy use it easily lasts a day. That includes some gaming, messaging and YouTube, sometimes Netflix.

2. Performance is good. Games do stutter sometimes but I think that's because of the software.

3. With a MicroSD card I noticed it rebooted the phone sometimes when it wasn't in use. Usually overnight. No crashes as of yet.

4. The cooling does help, my phone hasn't been hot yet, just warm.

5.Sure.

6. Software is getting better but isn't as good and stable as I'd hope. Hopefully it'll improve over time.

BBJonbo

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Have to plug mine in nightly when I go to bed as well. On days of real heavy use I even have to charge mid evening between 8-10pm. It has always gotten me through the day from light to heavy usage but never beyond 24 hrs.

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
All good points but...
- A better camera
Yes but my camera is great, how much better can the 950xl camera be.
- Windows Hello
Superb feature. Yes I really like the sound of this.
- Continuum
Good perhaps for some but something I won't use, I have a Windows 10 pc stick with Android on aswell, it only cost me ?55. Plugs in hdmi on tv.
Good I suppose but as far as battery is concerned my 1520 last for ages, I hear its better than the 950xl apart from the fact you can't change the battery easily!!
I'd like that even tho I'm very happy with the screen on the 1520, slightly bigger. I hate the 1520 fault tho that registers a swipe as a tap, Grrrrrr!
Mine's fine with the games I play but cooler is better.
- Lighter
Good in sum ways not so good in others

No! No! No!

It's just I've been spoilt with the 1520. It's still a great phone after 2 years...

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
All good points but...

- A better camera
Yes but my camera is great, how much better can the 950xl camera be.

It is better, and it is a lot better on low light, just try to shot with both and you will know it.

- Windows Hello
Superb feature. Yes I really like the sound of this.

For me it is a win, I hate to write codes.

- Continuum
Good perhaps for some but something I won't use, I have a Windows 10 pc stick with Android on aswell, it only cost me ?55. Plugs in hdmi on tv.

What if you want to use USB devices? you can access to USB drives, hard drives, sound cards, etc.

Good I suppose but as far as battery is concerned my 1520 last for ages, I hear its better than the 950xl apart from the fact you can't change the battery easily!!

Just remember the Lumia 1520 launch, it wasn't like today.

I'd like that even tho I'm very happy with the screen on the 1520, slightly bigger. I hate the 1520 fault tho that registers a swipe as a tap, Grrrrrr!

You cannot talk about the 950 screen until you try it, open myTube and check any 2K video. Also, the blacks are black, really, you notice that the first time you look the screen.

Mine's fine with the games I play but cooler is better.

Try Asphalt 8

- Lighter
Good in sum ways not so good in others

What?

No! No! No!

Yes, it feels smooth, I don't know if you have touched the back cover but it feels better than how the 1520 feels.

And yes, the 1520 is a great 2 yo phone, but the Lumia 950 XL is better in practically every aspect.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
2.performance

1. Lasts all day with medium use. I've yet to end the day with less than 20% but I am not constantly on my phone.
2. General smooth, no lag but some apps, like Spotify, are slow to load. Spotify was slow to load on the 1520 too.
3. Honestly I haven't had a single freeze or spontaneous reboot. The Guardian app crashes for some reason.
4. The phone hasn't been hot but I also haven't used Continuum or done anything particularly intensive.
5. I had the 1520. I prefer the 950XL mainly because it is a more manageable size.
6. I've not had major problems. The photos app will sometimes have a long delay when it does "finishing touches." Windows Hello isn't anywhere near as good as on Surface. I know some people have had bad experiences but my 950 XL so far has been as reliable as my Samsung Note Edge and more reliable than the 1520. I expected a lot of problems with the 950 XL but so far it is working fine. I can't explain why my experience is good and other people are having issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion