What is your battery drain?

Panathas

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I have my L950 for about 2 weeks now and I think the battery drain is way to much. Let's see what the average drain is to see if we have faulty devices or if this is normal. My average drain is 8.36% per hour. The max time my phone lasts without charging was 15.57 hours. The screen is consuming 63% of the energy! What are your stats?

smartass1379

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Do you happen to have an ATT locked device, I'm running on a theory that its ATT version that is having huge battery drain. Let me know

jayramphone

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
My phone is also about 2 weeks old - I am getting about 4% drain per hour.
It started off at about 8%.
Don't worry about the percentage the screen is using - in fact the higher the better (if you think about it). I have turned off a lot of background processes (though not all and have screen brightness at 25%). My screen used to be about 65% of battery usage and it is now 78%.

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Unlocked dual SIM 950. Drain is 3.48% per hour if I'm doing nothing for an hour. An hour of checking news, a few WhatsApp texts, reading windows central, I see drain of 22.6% per hour. Not gaming or streaming video.
Top battery use:
Edge - 21.7%
WhatsApp - 16.6%
Microsoft People - 9.6% (I don't even use this app)

While I'm writing this, battery went from 84% to 81%. And I'm not a slow typist! Argh!

EDIT: I have a 64GB SD card installed. Not sure if that's a factor. Don't use it for anything other than downloads and podcasts at the moment.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It gets me that graphically intensive games drain the battery less than some apps. In my experience, it seems that anything that relies on web access is battery intensive. Telegram and Cortana are always near the top of my usage list even with relatively light use. Edge climbs the list fairly quickly with some use as well.

rurik

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the battery drain in my unlocked phone is reasonalble after firmware update. Hard to estimate since I use my phone a lot. What battery application is best to estimate hourly drain?

dashrendar

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I think we need a proper guide for reading the stats in the Battery Saver battery usage page.

Coming from the Android world, you do want the Screen to have the highest percentage in fact. Why? It means that your battery usage is most when you are actually using the phone and the screen is on. This is a good thing. If System had a higher percentage, with average phone use, that means that even if the screen is off, your battery will be draining (i.e. in Standby), which is never a good thing.

The other thing is when it says Screen is 65%. It does not mean that that the screen is using 65% energy. It means that in the past 24 hours, the screen contributed to 65% of the battery drain.

Keep in mind that it's RELATIVE. If you keep your screen off for 24 hours, then System, Wi-Fi and Cellular will have higher percentages. However, it does not mean they are draining your battery more.

Again, this based on my knowledge coming from Android, I am new to Windows Phone.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
The bottom line is that we were not promised 2 days of battery life while constantly on Facebook all day. The VAST, AND I MEAN VAST majority of us are experiencing the same battery life. I can get a solid day with my 950XL with "typical" use. Notice the use of the " ". Thats the key with EACH AND EVERY one of the repeated posts about battery drain. Posting about battery drain wont solve battery drain, changing your usage habits will. This isnt meant to be mean or troll anyone, so if you are offended I apologize. My point is there are at least 2-3 posts per day about this topic, can we stop making new ones and just continue the old ones that also dont solve the drain issue. There are some of you with faulty phones. There are some of us that have a rogue app. There are many of us that didnt do a clean install with our 950/xl, even though that is HIGHLY recommended. If you want to help, hold the power and volume down for 3sec. This will open up the feedback app, tell MS the issues you are having and upload logs. They arent purposely making the battery life bad, but they need to know what is causing the issues. PLEASE, for the love of the Spaghetti Monster, USE THE FEEDBACK APP AND TELL MS YOUR ISSUES.

jantila

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
My 950 has improved *a lot* during the 3 week use.

It's now well over 48 hours since charge and still 33%. Just a few short calls, some pics, no video/navigation. But 4G/Wifi on + syncing emails and calendars day and night. Two weeks ago could not get a full day in with this kind of use. Now it's on the third day and counting.

About half of the time laying screen down (glance off) and half clance on.

Tim Maggi

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
i seemed to have finally fixed my battery drain isssue. it seems to be steady now. but now cortana closes when i try to search for something. really pissed off with this phone. waste of money so far. soon as one thing gets fixed another problem arises. i am a diehard windows fan but this has been nothing but a problem. really considering putting this in its box and just counting it as money down the drain and use my1020.

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Gone straight to .36 from .11 on Lumia 950. But the phone drains insanely fast without anything in background, even wifi turned off and goes very hot if installing any app, etc.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
i seemed to have finally fixed my battery drain isssue. it seems to be steady now. but now cortana closes when i try to search for something. really pissed off with this phone. waste of money so far. soon as one thing gets fixed another problem arises. i am a diehard windows fan but this has been nothing but a problem. really considering putting this in its box and just counting it as money down the drain and use my1020.

I'm a 1020 user too and from experience these insider builds are getting better and better. Right now my only issue is battery drain as I mentioned above.

If your experience with insider program isn't as you hoped for, you could revert to 8.1 and know that that version of windows does work perfectly and as expected. Insider program is for testing and for giving feedback.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Gone straight to .36 from .11 on Lumia 950. But the phone drains insanely fast without anything in background, even wifi turned off and goes very hot if installing any app, etc.

Let the build settle down after installing for a few hours, especially on charging. It should stabilise in a day or two.

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site

I AGREE with this Cortana search issue...all of a sudden this morning, she lets me type what I want to search then closes to start menu...WTH?!?!!?

Lots of tiny quirks of working apps, then without an update or anything, not working apps is driving this Windows fan CRAZY!!! Windows Phone 7 worked better than this...

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
The thing is, that I am on day four on .36 and with firmware update, and not doing very well, phone heats-up a lot, GTA crashes impossible to play, few minutes and it crashes, other then that, nothing else crash, only sometimes some apps on install goes to main screen, thinking about hard reset, but damn. The main issue is battery, drains fast, even when not even doing much, or I should do something with battery, taking it out, no idea.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
8% per hour while in use sounds pretty reasonable to me. Haven't tested my 950 but it can't be far off. Been playing San Andreas today on my 950 for about two hours and I'm on 74%.

GTA crashes impossible to play, few minutes and it crashes

GTA only crashes if you have your graphics settings too high or the phone overheats from extensive use in my experience, and since the firmware update I haven't had the latter happen at all. I have my settings on 30% resolution, 75% draw distance, low shadows, light traffic and low reflections and almost never get in-game crashes.

It's certainly possible to experiment and see how much higher you can get the settings but as far as I'm concerned, for a PS2 era game, these visuals are fine. :) Easily made it to Las Venturas and enjoying the game plenty.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte