Anyone still not getting the 950 XL firmware update?

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
No, dual.

If everyone but you is getting it, then it has to be something you're doing. I'm in the USA so not sure if there are location restrictions on insider, and your device location is set there. Maybe if you post your process step by step it will trigger you to see an error or at least then we know what you've done, typical help desk stuff first.

gsjansen

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
For no other reason than it being Sunday morning with nothing pressing on my agenda for today, I decided to see if I could get firmware 27 by doing a hard reset.

I am currently on the insider ring .63 so, (even though I had unenrolled from the insider program, and had even uninstalled the app from my 950 xl dual sim when I was on OS 36. I still got .63 this past week).

I did a hard reset this morning, and even though everyone says to install fresh, I restored the backup I had done just prior to the hard reset.

After the reset, I checked for updates, and lo and behold, there was .27 firmware ready to install.

So now I am still on .63 OS, (I did not get reverted back in OS after the reset), and I am now on the .27 firmware as well.

I am now reinstalling my apps, as well as adding all the music from my sd card back into groove music, (90 or so gig's worth).

I will report back if I see any kind of major improvements.

Btw, I am in south Florida on t-mobile.

Last edited:

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
For no other reason than it being Sunday morning with nothing pressing on my agenda for today, I decided to see if I could get firmware 27 by doing a hard reset.

I am currently on the insider ring .63 so, (even though I had unenrolled from the insider program, and had even uninstalled the app from my 950 xl dual sim when I was on OS 36. I still got .63 this past week).

I did a hard reset this morning, and even though everyone says to install fresh, I restored the backup I had done just prior to the hard reset.

After the reset, I checked for updates, and lo and behold, there was .27 firmware ready to install.

So now I am still on .63 OS, (I did not get reverted back in OS after the reset), and I am now on the .27 firmware as well.

I am now reinstalling my apps, as well as adding all the music from my sd card back into groove music, (90 or so gig's worth).

Reporting from California with an almost identical experience. I got the .63 insider update with no problem a couple of days ago. For weeks I have been trying and failing to get an availability announcement for the firmware upgrade, and even though the hard reset has done me no good in the past, I decided to try it once again. Yes, that is correct: Like a seriously slow learner or madman I did the same old thing in the fervent hope and expectation of a different outcome. The phone came back up still with the .63 release in place -- no rollback -- but the first update check I ran without trying to restore from a backup gave me access to the new firmware. Who would have thought? I installed that, and now after days of grousing about not being able to update, I appear to be completely up to date at the firmware/system level.

The remaining cloud to this silver lining is that the ringtone situation is still screwy. Before the reset, in midmorning I finally started hearing the ringtone samples in the option list on my 950XL. Later, after the firmware update, they were missing again though all other sounds were there. Maybe my phone needs an exorcist. Or Microsoft's upgrade servers do.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Holy I can't wait for OTA os update .63

After the recent firmware update, I never seen so many reboots of my phone. I'm still on .29 OS

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm still waiting for the FIRMWARE update myself, IM on insiders fast with .63 OS... I'm not worried tho as my phone is working flawless! but I would still like to be current and set... know what I mean?

angrycat

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
I'm still waiting for the FIRMWARE update myself, IM on insiders fast with .63 OS... I'm not worried tho as my phone is working flawless! but I would still like to be current and set... know what I mean?
You're not alone in waiting for the firmware update. Unfortunately Microsoft teams continues to do whatever the f they want without talking to each other to make sure EVERYONE gets firmware updates.

telomoyo

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

I did exactly the same (hard reset with restore from backup), with the same results. Running latest software and firmware versions.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I refuse to reset my phone, I'm not going to spend another 2 hours installing and setting things up and/or losing my messages and stuff... nope no way, just gonna wait patiently

gsjansen

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
well, it did take quite a bit of time to get everything back to where I wanted it. The hard reset, and install of firmware 27 took approximately 1.5 hours. loading my music back into groove took about 2.5 hours, and getting the phone back the way I wanted it was about 4 hours. so yes it was a good 6 hours for everything, but as I said, I had nothing to do yesterday, so it really didn't bother me.

The improvements that I do see;

battery (big time!). My phone has been off charge now for 9.5 hours, and I am at 58%. today was a pretty heavy usage day of speaker conference calls, 1.5 hours of gps directions use while bluetoothing groove music at the same time to my car radio. taking lots of photos and videos of a project site. I also re-enabled Hey Cortana yesterday after the firmware install, and it is not draining my battery. I will re-enable Hello this weekend, and see if it too works better and without battery drain.

photos and videos, much improved response time from taking the shot, viewing, and editing.

Those are the things I noted today that definitely are improved with firmware 27.

Is it worth 6 hours of hard reset/rebuild? for me it was, but once again, I had nothing to do yesterday :wink:

iosub

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I refuse to reset my phone, I'm not going to spend another 2 hours installing and setting things up and/or losing my messages and stuff... nope no way, just gonna wait patiently
Make a request noise in twitter to @NorthFaceHiker @windowsinsider @GabeAul so they see a lot of users complaining, thanks

telomoyo

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
It took me about 2 hrs total from reset to having all my apps and info up and running well. However, I don't have a lot of music, and I don't play games on my phone. Battery drain is great on my phone as well, and the heat during web browsing is minimal now. I was one of the people that were not having phone problems though. 950xl, California. T-Mobile.

gsjansen

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
telomoyo, yes, I too have noticed that that phone is running much cooler. I have a mozo black leather back, and before I did the firmware update, I was concerned about the heat that I was feeling on the back lower left of the phone. But since the firmware update, my phone is indeed running much cooler.

as I experienced the heat on OS .63 prior to the hard reset and install of firmware 27, I have to attribute the now cooler running to the firmware update.

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the process of restoring my phone after resetting to get the firmware. What a pain, but I'm tired of waiting, I need my phone to function as good as it can

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
So with yesterday's Insider app update I have at least one report that you can now leave the program, soft reset (not hard) grab the firmware/any updates and then go back to Insider.

Unfortunately, I did a hard reset (actually, it works really well now) and cannot verify. Can anyone add anything to this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire