Anyone still not getting the 950 XL firmware update?

JdeFalconr

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I think the bigger issue is with regard to communication. The only thing that the general public hears is "There's a new firmware update available!" or "There's a new OS update available!" Only rarely is it ever communicated that the updates are not available to everyone immediately and never is it communicated when a person should expect the update to be available. The result is, unfortunately, much confusion, frustration, and damage to Microsoft's reputation. This is exacerbated by the expectation that market leaders like Apple set when their software updates are available to everyone as soon as they are announced.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yaw have convinced me! So the solution is obvious.
I'm not going to read anything anymore. I'm not going to KNOW what I am missing.
Nothing will change if you think about it. I'll still get the update when everyone else gets the update.

And I can then focus all my energy on learning to get the PEFERCT espresso shot out of my new espresso machine (Christmas gift) instead of all this gnashing of teeth. :)

The funniest thing is that I am one of the fortunate folks that has a really nice running L950XL. I do wish it was single SIM, now that I've lived with it a few weeks. But otherwise the thing is a Beast of a mobile phone.

akjm

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I too have tried hard resetting (twice), not restoring the backup (once), and am on Fast Ring, but still can't get .36. I have unenrolled, enrolled, reenrolled, but still nothing! It is very frustrating to say the least. As for the latest firmware, I haven't seen anything where anyone in the US has received it yet.

muness

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I too have tried hard resetting (twice), not restoring the backup (once), and am on Fast Ring, but still can't get .36. I have unenrolled, enrolled, reenrolled, but still nothing! It is very frustrating to say the least.

This thread is about the firmware not the OS update... But what I finally did that got me the .36 OS build was to use the recovery tool to go back to .0, then without restore or otherwise installed Windows Insider, joined fast ring. After rebooting I checked for update and that installed .36.

rickt1

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
No update still, 3 network UK sim free from MS.

Gonna wait it out, pretty sure the chaps and chapesses at MS are all back in work after the Xmas break and looking at sorting this. Getting bad enough press as it is with the weird stock issues at AmazoN/CPW etc, so pretty sure they will be eager to get the new firmware to all. Doing a hard reset is a last resort for me as my phone is working ok.

Same here got mine from amazon running it on Vodafone phone working fine so far

Patrick Fitzgerald1

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
I haven't gotten either the firmware update (which sounds normal) or the .36 Insider update (I'm still on .29), which is weird because I've been in the Insider Program for 6+ months and never had an issue. Can someone explain to me why I wouldn't be able to get the .36 update on my 950XL? I'd appreciate it.

muness

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I haven't gotten either the firmware update (which sounds normal) or the .36 Insider update (I'm still on .29), which is weird because I've been in the Insider Program for 6+ months and never had an issue. Can someone explain to me why I wouldn't be able to get the .36 update on my 950XL? I'd appreciate it.

I have no idea what the issue I had was but I tried several resets on .29 with no luck but a full recovery via WDRT fixed it. My guess is that it was a config issues from an earlier, buggy Windows Insider release.

the-scotsman

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Insiders are not receiving it for some reason. I can only assume they don't want to introduce another variable into the testing of .36.

You can use the WDRT, for most regions, it will install the new firmware. But it will also wipe your device and install an old build, so ensure you backup first, then run updates again after flashing.

iosub

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Insiders are not receiving it for some reason. I can only assume they don't want to introduce another variable into the testing of .36.

You can use the WDRT, for most regions, it will install the new firmware. But it will also wipe your device and install an old build, so ensure you backup first, then run updates again after flashing.

Are you sure ? Some insiders from UK on build .36 where getting the firmware. I read it on twitter

bjd223

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Typically if a carrier isn't blocking the update, they will roll it out globally over a week or two.

The US holidays has delayed this, since the people with approval powers were probably off for most of xmas/new years.

Anyway, MS is going to start withholding more info in WaaS releases, then showing us more. For instance there will be no more release notes for incremental builds on W10. I imagine there will be no rollout schedules for updates either, as they tried to do this with WP8/8.1 but the data seemed to be outdated or incorrect most of the time. With all the regions/carriers/phone models it is not a simple thing to write up and keep track of.

Apple's mobile OS is in a different place then WP10. MS is releasing a new build about every 2 weeks now, and they want to push that pace even faster. Apple's OS is feature complete and stable, they have much more time between releases to get things ready.

bjd223

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
How long did you wait after enrolling? I think it can take a few hours sometimes before the update will show after enrolling in the insiders program.

Carmelo Pugliese

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Somone else has annoying issues with the iris scanning after firmware update? Trying at first time it says cant recognize, use pin then lock and unlock again it works....just buggy... :(

alodar101

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe you wrote that. Damage to their reputation!! I read almost the same thing on the Apple forum about the 6 and 6s. I swear they stole it from the Samsung forum about the Note and the Galaxy. I'm sure you can find the exact same intentions in every other OEM forum.

People can't wait. MEDIA created the hype. Boycott Windows Central for reporting a release that no carrier or MFG reported.

We create our own hype and our own Angst. Blame < insert - Microsoft, Apple, Samsung, LG, HTC, Nokia, Sony> because we can't wait!!!

If we only put that much energy into other more important things....like PowerBall!!!!

PS

the-scotsman

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Are you sure ? Some insiders from UK on build .36 where getting the firmware. I read it on twitter

Maybe they updated manually. But I have not seen or heard of any insiders who got the firmware update OTA. They had to update manually with the tool, as I have done.

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
I have a Lumia 950XL on AT&T USA. I am on the Insider Fast Ring with OS Build 10.0.10586.36 and today was prompted to restart my phone in the morning since SIM card settings have been changed. Restarted the phone and the firmware is now 01078.00017.15454.29005

HTH

Sasha

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb