Anyone still not getting the 950 XL firmware update?

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I received my 950XL yesterday in the mail. As soon as I got it, I performed a hard reset before I set up anything with the phone. Next, after the hard reset, I began to update the phone. The phone updated to OS .29 and the newest firmware just released. I plan to set up the Insider on my new phone today but I doubt it'll pick up the .36 OS update.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
If I actually had a problem that I KNEW the firmware update addressed, AND that fix was something that I wanted bad enough, then I suppose I would do the Hard Rest and back-out of Insider completely.

But I can wait until this delay is addressed by Microsoft because every time I look over at my 950XL and consider what isn't working I can't actually come up with anything pressing.

Yeah that's where I ended up. I really wanted the camera fix (and it's much improved, btw). I haven't gone back to insider so my 5ghz wifi is screwed up again but I figure .36 is probably going to be general release fairly soon.

SvenJ

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
My non-insider 950 is on the premium partner AT&T so it's not getting the firmware update. My unlocked 950XL is on insider, so it's not getting the firmware. Can't win, can I?

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
So, is the story now that if your device IS on the Insider Program you have to hard reset it to get the firmware update to roll to your device?

DeathMoJo

May 24, 2015
Visit site
Before you hard reset, check Windows Device Recovery Tool (WDRT) as if it doesn't see the firmware update for your phone, you won't get it with the rest according to Jason (@NorthFaceHiker) on his twitter feed. He states WDRT doesn't care if you are an insider or not. It has kept me from doing a hard reset to get the firmware.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Crazy how fast this thread has grown, probably my most "popular" thread lol.

I'm just gonna wait it out, since I'm not having too much trouble with my Lumia 950 XL. The reason I started this thread is because I just didn't quite understand why when I was on Lumia 920 every update pretty much came straight away when they post it on Windows Central, but now I always seem to be getting them last. And I agree, insiders should be getting things first, that's the whole point, even for firmware update releases. So yeah, hopefully they'll get their stuff together soon.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
My 950XL was on Insider and OS build .36 and stuck on the original firmware. I got tired of waiting.

I did the following in sequence:
- backup to OneDrive and copied off photos
- settings..system..about..reset
- fly thru the setup, no login. Check for updates. Let it install new firmware
- reset again
- this time, login and restore the backup and copy the photos back
- spend next several hours waiting for apps to install, logging in to everything, fixing settings that didn't restore, watching things sync, and cursing Rovio because I have to start over with Angry Birds Go! again.

I hate to use the old clich?, but it seems faster. A few days use should tell me if the occasional random reboot and occasional overheating have been fixed. That's about the only problems I've seen.

My wife's 950XL was also on Insider but stuck at OS build .29 and of course the old firmware. I hope that whatever they do for Insiders next week will clear that up.

angrycat

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
It's ridiculous....

First they had issues so that people couldn't get .29 update without doing a reset and going the Insider route... Now they force us to do another reset to get rid of Insider so that we can get a firmware update.
I really regret buying the Lumia 950XL.:angry::angry::angry::angry:

If backing the phone up actually preserved all apps, passwords and stuff between the resets it would have been one thing, but as it is, I'm forced to re-authenticate various stuff every time I have to do a reset...
Jason was full of **** regarding the .29 update and he's being full of **** regarding the firmware update now too...

eXceeded

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Does any of this fix the woeful battery life issues?!

I can't justify doing a full hard reset without knowing it solves the biggest issue I have with this phone. Still shocked that after 2 years what I have is a phone that I have to carry around a charger with me EVERYWHERE I go. Doesn't help that nowhere stocks official USB Type-C cables yet...

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Does any of this fix the woeful battery life issues?!

I can't justify doing a full hard reset without knowing it solves the biggest issue I have with this phone. Still shocked that after 2 years what I have is a phone that I have to carry around a charger with me EVERYWHERE I go. Doesn't help that nowhere stocks official USB Type-C cables yet...

What do you consider woeful? And how would you categorize your usage?

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I will have to see a few more days of usage before I can accurately say whether it was worth it. But as I said above, it "seems faster." I haven't had it get overly hot nor spontaneously reboot yet either. My alarms went as scheduled this morning, and Hello hadn't disabled itself. Notifications appear instantly on my Band. My battery does not seem to be draining as fast as before either. Overall, I'm happy with it.

I have one issue. Photosynth app apparently ceased existing in the store, it's stuck on pending in the app list and in the Store it's a blank unnamed app that won't download or cancel, and I can't get rid of it. That's more a store issue and the fact that I restored a backup in which the app existed on the phone when the backup was made. Not the fault of the firmware upgrade.

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
I got the update yesterday,after it loads I got 3 request to reboot the phone, because either a
change in the SIM or in Settings. After the 3 reboots the phone didn't ask for a reboot. Thought
I'd pass this along, so others will be aware of the reboots. The 950 is still a build behind, I have
a Nokia 520 also on Windows 10, its on build 36, ;where the 950 is still on 29. As a phone the
Nokia 520 is more responsive as a phone.

SvenJ

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't help that nowhere stocks official USB Type-C cables yet...

What's an 'official' USB Type-C cable? It is an industry standard, unlike Apple's lightning cables. No licensing required, so don't think you are going see Made for WP on much. You can of course get good cables and crummy cables. Picked up a few things at Amazon, and had good like with a company called TechMatte. Got some USB A to C cables, some micro to USB-C adapters (for charging). Hadn't looked but Amazon Basics products always seem decent and well priced.

Sidabras

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Now I'm a bit lost, what is the latest version of w10m ? On my 950 I have OS build 10.0.10586.36 and FW number 01078.00017.15452.59016

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
950 XL on insider .36 on AT&T in the US. Yesterday I bit the bullet and rolled back my phone using WDRT. Updated the firmware to .27 and in the same update installed .29. Did a clean install btw. Reinstalled insider and updated to .36. So I'm all set now to finally start enjoying my awesome new phone :)

Before you hard reset, check Windows Device Recovery Tool (WDRT) as if it doesn't see the firmware update for your phone, you won't get it with the rest according to Jason (@NorthFaceHiker) on his twitter feed. He states WDRT doesn't care if you are an insider or not. It has kept me from doing a hard reset to get the firmware.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz