Windows 8 Phone password expired and not accepting old password to enter new one!! What do I do?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Windows 8 Phone password expired and not accepting old password to enter new one!!

I had my windows 8 phone (Lumia 920) set so that it will require me to change the password every so often. I did not change the password until the phone actually required my to enter a new password. So I entered my old password, new password and confirmed the new password. Now the phone is not accepting my old password for some reason, and started to keep locking me out. Now I'm at 128 minutes lock out.

I do not want to do a hard reset and setup my phone again from scratch. I also have some photos that are not on skydrive and do NOT want to lose them.

Is this a BUG in the phone? Does any one know?
Also is the keypad when providing a new password any different from the keypad used on the lock screen? Is that what's throwing my off may be? I'm confused and disappointed, as everything is pointing my to a BUG because I did not forget my password.

Any pointers will help. I would REALLY not want to have to reset my phone nor wait 500 or 1000 or 4000 minutes like others to try again!

Microsoft has to provide a solution these situations!

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Windows 8 Phone password expired and not accepting old password to enter new one!!

Do you have a SIM card in the phone? I was reading some articles online and looks like the only reason could be the phone not detecting the time correctly from the SIM. BTW was this device ever part of an Outlook exchange policy? How were you able to set the password to expire after a certain amount of time?

W8 Surfer

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Re: Windows 8 Phone password expired and not accepting old password to enter new one!!

Yes, I have a SIM card in the phone, but it seems that it is detecting the time ok, even after switching it off, or rather the battery running out and leaving it off for several hours before switching it back on. When you set the pin code, I recall that there is an option of whether you say that it never expires or not. This is a phone feature, not related to outlook exchange policy I believe. I do have an outlook email setup on my phone, but that is working ok till today, i.e. I see email notifications on the lock screen! I now confirmed that my old password is really not working after several attempts and a wait time of 512 minutes. Frustrated and disappointed...

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

It's not a phone feature that's for sure, I haven't seen the option anywhere on the numerous Windows Phones I have used so far. I guess the only option left is hard-resetting your device if Microsoft support does not help.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

So I entered my old password, new password and confirmed the new password. Now the phone is not accepting my old password for some reason, and started to keep locking me out.
Maybe I'm missing something but if you changed the password why do you keep using the old one? Use the new password.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05