Lumia 950 - Manual focus for video

dkshao

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

Its coming up to new years and I'd like to record video of some fireworks on my Lumia 950.
In previous years I have used my Lumia 920, the biggest issue being that the focus keeps switching between fireworks.

Can anyone recommend an app to record 4k video that will allow me to set focus manually?
The catch here is that the app will need to actually work, I tried video Camera Pro and it was very laggy at 4k.
I don't mind paying for an app either.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

Its coming up to new years and I'd like to record video of some fireworks on my Lumia 950.
In previous years I have used my Lumia 920, the biggest issue being that the focus keeps switching between fireworks.

Can anyone recommend an app to record 4k video that will allow me to set focus manually?
The catch here is that the app will need to actually work, I tried video Camera Pro and it was very laggy at 4k.
I don't mind paying for an app either.

The default camera app should be able to allow you to focus manually. Just as in the camera view, you can slide out the settings to change exposure, iso, speed, lighting and focus manually, so can you for the video part of the app.

I've just checked on my own phone and I can change focus manually even during recording. I can change all settings while recording using the default MS camera app

So you should be able to do the same

Clemzo39

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Morning 🕗 guys!
I desperately need help with my Lumia 1520 running Windows 10 mobile latest build. It isn't being recognized by my laptop 💻 running Windows 10 Pro. When ever I connect my 1520 to the laptop only the 1520 reports that the phone is connected to a slow charging device.

Can anyone help me out?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Morning �� guys!
I desperately need help with my Lumia 1520 running Windows 10 mobile latest build. It isn't being recognized by my laptop �� running Windows 10 Pro. When ever I connect my 1520 to the laptop only the 1520 reports that the phone is connected to a slow charging device.

Can anyone help me out?

This is an error that has been seen before. check through the forums, there's an answer somewhere.

I think you could try changing cables or ports or both to see if it helps

dkshao

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, it turns out that I had not explored the camera interface completely, I didn't realize that function was there.

Is there a way for me to control the auto exposure as well? This is the last thing left to cause issues for me.

Thanks again

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, it turns out that I had not explored the camera interface completely, I didn't realize that function was there.

Is there a way for me to control the auto exposure as well? This is the last thing left to cause issues for me.

Thanks again

You can control these 3 settings in the MS camera for video recording: lighting conditions (sunny, cloudy, tungsten lamp etc); focus and exposure (-3 to +3 EV)

This is for my lumia 1020 on MS camera for 10586.36

dkshao

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
You can control these 3 settings in the MS camera for video recording: lighting conditions (sunny, cloudy, tungsten lamp etc); focus and exposure (-3 to +3 EV)

This is for my lumia 1020 on MS camera for 10586.36

Thanks for the reply. When I had adjusted the EV the exposure still seemed to adjust itself in a few of my initial tests, but on the night out worked really well.

Now if only they'd add a zoom function when manually focusing (similar to how pro shoot does it). Still, really appreciate the help

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. When I had adjusted the EV the exposure still seemed to adjust itself in a few of my initial tests, but on the night out worked really well.

Now if only they'd add a zoom function when manually focusing (similar to how pro shoot does it). Still, really appreciate the help

While recording, you can zoom in and out but I don't know if you can addjust both focus and zoom at the same time. Maybe you can adjust one and then adjust the other after doing the first

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
NT4QriV.jpg

Hope this is helpful
(manual focus for video on default Camera)

830W10 via mTalk

dkshao

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
While recording, you can zoom in and out but I don't know if you can addjust both focus and zoom at the same time. Maybe you can adjust one and then adjust the other after doing the first

It was more of a side comment. but I think it got misunderstood.
I was saying that if a portion of the view (a circle or square or something) zoomed to assist with the manual focus, but NOT actually zoom the video.
This being a thing to assist with getting manual focus as precise as it can be...... similar in principle to what ProShot does when focusing manually.

I think MS has changed their "Feedback" page and cant remember what it was called and if its still called the same thing (The one where you're given an amount of points to assign to different feedback topics for them to consider working on).
Can someone point me in the right direction?

BTW, here's some pics from the night, had no tripod, so did the best I could:
259ei40.jpg

vi2re8.jpg

dkshao

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Wow!!!
No way the 950 is able to record these with the auto settings!!! (at least not mine)

Exactly, learnt from previous years not to trust auto settings.
Main thing was manual focus and reducing the EV, the fireworks shot was from the video I recorded, and yes, was taken with the MS camera.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss