1520 is one sweet phone

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I love my Lumia 1520 so much, and am so glad that I took the plunge to get one back at the start of the summer, considering that it was not sold in Canada.

I was thinking about it lately, that the Lumia 1520 just looks so good. I love the design, I love the 6" display (there is no going back), I was always an AMOLED guy, but the 1520's LCD display is simply fantastic. I must also mention the excellent battery life. The only area with room for improvement would be low light performance with the f2.4 aperature lens. If I could pop-in a 950 series camera, the Lumia 1520 would be perfect.

I was really looking forward to what we call the Lumia 950 XL, but really, from the way my L1520 performs, I don't need more ram, or a snapdragon 810 processor. If phones continue just offering more of the same with yearly hardware upgrades that don't completely change the game, I'm going to ride out my 1520 for as long as it works - or until phones take a quantum leap ahead.

Overall, it's a phone! My 1520 is perfect at being a communications device, captures excellent images, brilliant video with Nokia's HAAC microphones for the best audio capture around. In many ways, the 950 series would not change my day to day experience for the better.

I recently bought a mirrorless camera, so the drive for me to have the absolute best camera in a cell phone is no longer what it once was. Plus, the super wide angle of cell phone camera lenses left me frustrated in some video capture situations.

Long live the Lumia 1520!

Deep on.

I just took my 930 on a trip. Man...i wish I would have taken my 1520. My 930 battery died at a crucial time when I was driving in a place I didn't know (the Bluetooth with the car, turn by turn directions, and playing music sucked it dry). It was really inconvenient and cost me time cause I got lost. 1520 would have handled that much better obviously.

The moral of the story...don't travel without your 1520!😊

invisik

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Love the 1520! I have the Incipio Feather cyan case on a yellow phone which looks awesome.
I had the 950 for a short time... I find my 1520 with the latest Insider build of W10M is just a hair slower then the 950.... The 1520 is a true flagship!

I've got my eye on the HP Falcon to be a worthy replacement....

-m

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
After much thought I made a decision to purchase a second 1520. The 950XL does not improve things important to me and it reduces screen size. The 1520 also works on 5g wifi wich is what I have at the house and it is sick fast sitting on my couch.

A second one? I'm still waiting to purchase my first! :cry:

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
After much thought I made a decision to purchase a second 1520. The 950XL does not improve things important to me and it reduces screen size. The 1520 also works on 5g wifi wich is what I have at the house and it is sick fast sitting on my couch.

my 950xl connects to my 5g wifi no problem, so I don't know why you say that... and as for screen size, for me anyways I find the 950XL to be the perfect size like the Goldie locks syndrome not too small and it's not too big, its juuuust right! LOL but the L1520 without a doubt is a great device! I'm still torn if I should sell it or keep it...

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
my 950xl connects to my 5g wifi no problem, so I don't know why you say that... and as for screen size, for me anyways I find the 950XL to be the perfect size like the Goldie locks syndrome not too small and it's not too big, its juuuust right! LOL but the L1520 without a doubt is a great device! I'm still torn if I should sell it or keep it...

Sell it!! :cool:

Madeye234

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully, someone here was lucky enough to get my 1520. It was absolutely pristine and running Windows 10. I babied that phone with love, but my reason to go away from Windows was bitter sweet. In the end is was about the apps, I simply couldn't wait anymore for MS to catch up. And everywhere you see advertising apps, Windows is invisible. Windows 10 mobile is an afterthought and seemingly the movent has gone downhill. Yes the major stuff is there, and it works for the rest of the family, but not for me. As for the phones, seems to be trending down. What I I loved about the 1520 was It still seems new for its age, the hardware and the great camera and 4 mics for recording video and sounding great during playback..which for the iphone, you need to spend 150 for a Shure mic attachment to get that quality. Anyway, that's my story I'm sticking to it. Good luck.

Jean Claude Lopez

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Well heck, it's running the SD 800 which is still one beast of a processor. 2 gb or ram I think. It's still an ok phone. Windows Phone flagships age well, unlike Androids that slow with age.

MohitKJain

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
2 years and still going strong. 128gb microsd and a fantastic camera. I have all the apps and games I need. There is no phone like the lumia 1520. Not for me, atleast.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I love mine but it can be kinda buggy at times (even after resetting to 8.1 though far more stable than W10M Preview) A little annoying. Probably gonna stick with my special edition 930 for now.

But man... it's still a sweet phone.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes it is a beast of a phone and running very well even after almost 2 years. Now running on Windows Mobile 10. It is also notable that it is one of the 3 phones that were only planned for Windows Mobile 10 upgrade.

The camera is one of the best for day time photography. Here is a picture taken today with it.
WP_20160123_12_25_16_Pro (2).jpg

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes it is a beast of a phone and running very well even after almost 2 years. Now running on Windows Mobile 10. It is also notable that it is one of the 3 phones that were only planned for Windows Mobile 10 upgrade.

The camera is one of the best for day time photography. Here is a picture taken today with it.
View attachment 121022
Yeah the camera is amazing. 930 is the same. One thing I wish for with this new Surface Phone is that they keep the great camera of the Lumia line.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I love mine but it can be kinda buggy at times (even after resetting to 8.1 though far more stable than W10M Preview) A little annoying. Probably gonna stick with my special edition 930 for now.

But man... it's still a sweet phone.

Curious, what bugs do you have with your 1520?? Mine had been pretty much flawless, never left 8.1 with it, tried multiple W10 builds with my 640XL and that was buggy and didn't want to deal with bugs on my 1520 so I've kept it stock.

schmerbert

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I loved my 1520 until the w10m install. Right now the phantom button clicks issue is driving me mad. Happens weekly if I'm lucky, but almost daily is the norm. Putting it in sleep mode and then opening it right back up usually takes care of it. Reboot if not.

bichaels

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Just traded my 1020+?50 for a 1520 and couldn't be happier. So much snappier in everything, great screen and doesn't feel as huge as I thought I might. The updated Lumia camera is great, the basic camera quality definitely a noticeable step down (much more noise in low light) but with the speed and extra features will probably get better shots most of the time. Does make me sad there is no updated 1020 with fast hardware though as it would be truly amazing.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I loved my 1520 until the w10m install. Right now the phantom button clicks issue is driving me mad. Happens weekly if I'm lucky, but almost daily is the norm. Putting it in sleep mode and then opening it right back up usually takes care of it. Reboot if not.

Try turning off "Double tap to wake" and see if that solves the problem.

bichaels

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Still loving my 1520 after a week but the occasional screen going crazy and random Cortana launches were getting annoying. Was ready to open it up but didn't have a small enough Torx. Installed the W10 preview instead and much to my surprise it seems to have solved, or at least greatly reduced, the problems.

Edit - So that was speaking much too soon. Still have the problem. Makes me wonder why it was okay for a while after the update...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte