Finally Did It! Clicked The Purchase Button on a 950 XL SINGLE SIM!!

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
So I've been on this site like crazy ever since Thanksgiving when the 950/XL was available to purchase. Because there were stock issues and the whole pre-order/store reservation thing at launch was troublesome, I decided to take the 'wait and see approach' with the 950/XL. I read up on all that I could in deciding because I am currently using a 1520.3 with the latest 10586.36 Build (Windows Fast Ring Insider) and even though it's not the smoothest, I figure I could probably stay with the 1520 for a while. Anyway, I decided that IF I was going to buy a 950XL, it'd be a single SIM variant seeing how the dual SIM capabilities wouldn't really benefit me that much. Hearing that VVM works with the single SIM variant helped the decision all the more. Anyway, l searched the forums and sought out sites that folks were using to buy their 950XL Single SIM and landed on Amazon. Today, on Amazon, I saw that the price dropped to $570! That's without tax and with free shipping! I took the plunge, had to! I'm thinking that pricing will reduce even further considering it's already at 570 and we're 2 months in from launch? Anyway, here's hoping for some good luck and I get a device sans the issues that some folks have been experiencing with the 950XL.

I'm on T-Mobile and I'm hoping that the antenna(s) on the 950XL and the fact that it has ability to utilize Band 12 makes it so I get more/better reception inside my work building. This alone would justify going from an already great 1520.3 to the 950XL.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Why do the hard reset?

When you get a new phone, it is better to hard reset. Below is the procedure :

1) Hard Reset the phone
2) Set up as a new phone (Do not restore any backups from any previous phones)
3) After the phone is full ready as a new phone, check the store and let all the pending downloads complete (So apps will auto download updates)
4) After all the apps are installed, do a restart or a soft reset
5) At this point you phone is set up with all the default apps and their updates
6) Now go to store and go to download history for your account and download all your favorite apps.
7)After everything is setup, just do a restart or soft reset.
8) That's it. Your phone is ready for daily usage as per your requirements.

This is what I do for all my phones with any OS and they all work great with good battery life and minimum issues. Hope this helps.

boneycat

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I just saw this on Amazon and was wondering myself how the international version works with AT&T. So VVM was an issue before but not now? Come back and tell us how it works with T-Mobile once you get it.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Neo Nuke

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
what is an issue is random times where the single sim 950 XL loses its ability to receive text messages although it can still send them when you are on LTE. If you go to SIM settings and change it so that the highest data speed is 4G you can get text messages again. the funny part is that mine worked for two weeks and won't go back to letting me get texts on T Mobile LTE. I live in Houston , which has a refarmed area.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I am assuming you ordered the device from NGP USA. Does this device come with a warranty from Microsoft? All of the Amazon devices state "NO WARRANTY" which is killing my urge to click buy.

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
what is an issue is random times where the single sim 950 XL loses its ability to receive text messages although it can still send them when you are on LTE. If you go to SIM settings and change it so that the highest data speed is 4G you can get text messages again. the funny part is that mine worked for two weeks and won't go back to letting me get texts on T Mobile LTE. I live in Houston , which has a refarmed area.

I didn't hear about this issue with Single SIM. Anyone know more about this?

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am assuming you ordered the device from NGP USA. Does this device come with a warranty from Microsoft? All of the Amazon devices state "NO WARRANTY" which is killing my urge to click buy.

Yep! I did buy from NGP USA. It doesn't come with MS warranty unfortunately. That was one of the things that caused a lot of hesitation in buying it. They do have the standard 30 day return policy for any defective device. I'm crossing my fingers that I won't have to use it.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Yep! I did buy from NGP USA. It doesn't come with MS warranty unfortunately. That was one of the things that caused a lot of hesitation in buying it. They do have the standard 30 day return policy for any defective device. I'm crossing my fingers that I won't have to use it.

My understanding from searching these last few minutes is that you can walk into a Microsoft Store & purchase complete for it.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
And why better if I use the buttons to do hard reset? I'll perform a hard reset to start off like you suggest.

Hard reset with buttons will format and redo all the partitions, like reinstalling windows on a pc from a CD or usb drive, hard reset from the about box will reinstall the OS in the system partition, like refreshing windows 10 without full reinstalling.

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
Just chiming in to say my single SIM works great on AT&T. No data issues. VVM works great. I don't know anything about TMobile but I can vouch for AT&T. It's the one to buy if you don't need two SIM slots. No warranty does suck but oh well.

The latest insider build won't install on it yet, so don't be surprised if it doesn't work (it won't). Something to do with the new firmware on the single SIM not allowing the latest insider build to install. It'll be fixed I'm sure, just to make you aware. It does run the latest firmware and .29 release great though.

anon9776305

Banned
Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I have a single sim 950 running on T-Mobile in the US. Everything working great mostly. The last update to outlook mail and calendar broke the live tile for me, but as far as sms/mms couldn't be better.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Just chiming in to say my single SIM works great on AT&T. No data issues. VVM works great. I don't know anything about TMobile but I can vouch for AT&T. It's the one to buy if you don't need two SIM slots. No warranty does suck but oh well.

The latest insider build won't install on it yet, so don't be surprised if it doesn't work (it won't). Something to do with the new firmware on the single SIM not allowing the latest insider build to install. It'll be fixed I'm sure, just to make you aware. It does run the latest firmware and .29 release great though.

Where did you purchase yours from?

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Hard reset with buttons will format and redo all the partitions, like reinstalling windows on a pc from a CD or usb drive, hard reset from the about box will reinstall the OS in the system partition, like refreshing windows 10 without full reinstalling.

Ahhh, gotcha. Thank you!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99