Samsung Ativ SE or Galaxy S6?

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I currently have a Lumia Icon and it isn't a bad phone, but the battery life is horrendous on it. I'm off contract on Verizon right now and I'm waiting for a new Windows Phone to replace my Lumia Icon (just recently switched from a 928). However, I'm starting to lose my patience as I've been waiting years for a new flagship Windows Phone only to find out the Lumia 950 isn't coming to Verizon nor will Microsoft allow an unlocked Lumia 950 to work on Verizon. I don't know if I want to keep waiting for the mythical Surface Phone only to find out again that it won't come to Verizon... Therefore, I'm pondering whether I should switch to the Samsung ATIV SE for the better battery life or just get a Galaxy S6 for 2 years and hope after 2 years Verizon will have a new flagship Windows Phone?

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I jumped ship to AT&T for a 950 and some regret it one bit.

If you're totally opposed to at&t I'd say just get a Galaxy and wait it out. All indications are that MS is working in a new device so you can always go with that next year. If Verizon doesn't offer that either them you'd probably have to become an.Android/iPhone user for the long haul. I'm a fan of WP but it wouldn't be the end of the world to have to jump ship.

I wouldn't get the ativ though. Support is non existent and who knows how Windows 10 updates (if it even gets them) would work.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I jumped ship to AT&T for a 950 and some regret it one bit.

If you're totally opposed to at&t I'd say just get a Galaxy and wait it out. All indications are that MS is working in a new device so you can always go with that next year. If Verizon doesn't offer that either them you'd probably have to become an.Android/iPhone user for the long haul. I'm a fan of WP but it wouldn't be the end of the world to have to jump ship.

I wouldn't get the ativ though. Support is non existent and who knows how Windows 10 updates (if it even gets them) would work.

Unfortunately I'm unable to switch carriers because it's a shared business line. So I'm basically stuck with Verizon and therefore at the mercy of Microsoft. Ironically if I switch to a Android, I'm a bit worried about losing out on some apps I'm used to on Windows Phone. Doesn't the ATIV SE already support Windows 10 insider builds though?

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
With a little registry tweaking, you can get the Win 10 Insider builds on it. I like it a lot better than 8.1, but there are still some issues things that need ot be ironed out to get everything working for me. Im sticking with my ATIV SE until another Windows phone comes out. The Acer Jade Primo from CES 2016 might be coming to Verizon (Acer is working with them to try and offer it). Also, you might want to wait for the mobile congress show next month. A lot of new mobile phones are usually announced then, and supposedly Samsung will announce the S7 there. They just announced a new Galaxy TabPro with Windows 10 on it, so its possibly they may have a surprise in store for Windows Mobile users? Just a suggestion.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
With a little registry tweaking, you can get the Win 10 Insider builds on it. I like it a lot better than 8.1, but there are still some issues things that need ot be ironed out to get everything working for me. Im sticking with my ATIV SE until another Windows phone comes out. The Acer Jade Primo from CES 2016 might be coming to Verizon (Acer is working with them to try and offer it). Also, you might want to wait for the mobile congress show next month. A lot of new mobile phones are usually announced then, and supposedly Samsung will announce the S7 there. They just announced a new Galaxy TabPro with Windows 10 on it, so its possibly they may have a surprise in store for Windows Mobile users? Just a suggestion.

I wish you replied a few days sooner. The Galaxy S6 went on sale at Verizon and I bit the bullet and upgraded to it, vowing to one day return to Windows lol. That being said, I have 30 days to return this phone if I choose to do so... However, I can't wait till mobile world congress, it's too far into the future for me at the moment and there's no guarantee any new high end Windows Phones will be announced there, not to mention ones that'd work on Verizon :/

Unless a teaser or announcement is made within the next 30 days, I'll probably just stick to my Galaxy S6 for the next 2 years. If a must have device is announced for Verizon within those next 2 years, perhaps I can just buy one unlocked and switch devices while on contract.

theshowman

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I got an Galaxy S6 from work back in November, and decided to give that a try after several years of being absent on Android. My current phone at the time was the ATIV SE upgraded to WM10 which worked quite well.

I regret moving to the S6 - it is a slow klunky and all the things I hated about Android just started haunting me. TW is a joke. Samsung apps are jokes. The whole experience has been terrible. The only good things about the S6 is: thin hardware, nicer camera, finger print sensor.

I've put my S6 for sale, and will be thinking about going back to a new Windows Phone device soon.

mageman17

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
For me, its hard to recommend the Ativ SE if you have already used a high-end Lumia. Since I upgraded from a 625 instead, I saw the SE as a logical progression without missing the exclusive features of high-end lumias.

Good luck to you then. Hopefully you'll get something good for Windows Mobile on Verizon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss