Bring Me Back

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
At the end of the day I think you'll come back on your own. It's convenience over functionality. The iPhone 6 provides you the convenience of utilizing certain apps and services within certain apps. You mentioned about a functional calendar, a start screen and some uniquely functional items that are provided with the 950XL. You have some 3rd party apps that may provide a similar app experience, but there isn't an alternate calendar to the native one for iOS like you have for Win Mobile, not that you'd need one because the native one for Win 10 Mobile is awesome enough. There isn't a bank app for most financial institutions but that doesn't prevent you from doing your banking, you just need to utilize other means. For some, this is enough to leave the functionality of Win 10 mobile. It's a personal decision.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
So talk me through the logic of that: Let's release a version in the USA that doesn't support USA carrier VVM. And release the one that works great in the USA outside the USA.

Yeah, you got me there.

I understand your frustration. No point in shooting the messenger.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
You may want to hold off though, not sure if you've been reading up on things but Germany, UK and France Amazon halted sales of the XL due to issues with it... My guess is they're getting bombarded with complaints and returns plus even Microsoft hasn't repoened pre-ordering since early December.. MS's claim of underestimating sales is pretty lame, their Vietnam manufactures could turn out more then enough to keep up, there hasn't been another release since mid-December(the 11th I believe)..

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I switched 2 months ago although I do miss wp and it is I don't miss the lack of apps and the quality of those apps. Facebook on wp is bad in contrast to iOS . Facebook updates its apps every 2 weeks with out fail. How often is it updated on wp? How about Instagram? It also ( ready for this) get also updated every 2 weeks with out fail. When was wp app last updated ? And the phone works with barely any issues . Surfing the web on safari is way better than on wp . But I will admit that when wp is as good or better than iOS I will return but not up until then

Xaxxus

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I hate to say it, but stay with the 6 plus. I got my 950 XL, and the ****** in me was in denial about how awful everything is right now for our platform. Its now long past the 15 day return period and I wish I had returned my 950 xl to get an iPhone 6s or 6s plus.
Honestly, its not the missing apps. I have basically every app I need. Its the fact that the apps are TERRIBLE quality in comparison. That and there are just so many little issues with the OS that make it a chore to use half the time.

Just a few examples from the past few days. My friend requested an uber fare share with me. I got the text message, clicked the link in the text message and it immediately showed me a message on their page saying "open app" or "download app". On iPhone or android, this page would have immediately redirected the user to the app itself to complete the transaction. No biggie, I clicked open app to complete the transaction. It took me to the uber app home screen. Didn't take me to the fare sharing screen to complete the transaction. I spent the entire uber ride trying to figure out if there was a way within the app to check sharing requests. Couldn't find anything. Ended up having to buy my friend a few drinks to cover the cost.

Another example: Today Myfitnesspal was down for maintenance for a little bit. Since the maintenance ended, I have not been able to use the windows phone app at all. Nothing works. The webpage works fine. On top of that, its still not updated to a universal app, and its missing functionality.

The new messaging app is a joke. It has the paper clip icon, signifying that you can send files. Nope its greyed out and doesn't work. Seriously Microsoft?

I don't think this is an app specific problem, but more of a platform specific one. Apps do not treat URLs properly. If I click a post in facebook, it opens the post in edge. If I click a youtube link in edge, it opens the youtube webpage rather than my youtube app. On android and iPhone, it automatically opens the app, or you can choose which app to use (on android).

Ive had so many Bluetooth problems as of late, my band 2 cant detect my phone half the time, so Cortana and text message replies never work. The new music controls cannot be used while playing music through a Bluetooth headset. Perhaps its a competing accessory problem, as my headset has volume and song changing controls. I need to test this on an iOS or android device to see. My car can rarely resume Bluetooth playback without having to open my phone, open groove music and push play from the phone.

I don't find myself missing too many apps, its just that half the time my apps don't function properly, or lack basic functions that they have on other platforms. In many cases, third party devs just cannot make their apps as fully featured as the official simply because of private APIs not being available.

Being a Microsoft fan really sucks right now. The only thing that keeps me coming back to windows phone is the fact that I prefer microsofts services over googles or apples. iCloud is a joke compared to skydrive, office crushes everything apple and google offer, Cortana crushes siri and google now. The band 2 is an amazing device, but it doesn't offer full functionality on the other platforms. Despite the ****ty battery life on the 950, its still leagues better than any iPhone ive ever owned.

/end rant

I'm just really bitter right now. I want developers to get their **** together on windows phone, but even 200 million windows 10 users isn't convincing anyone to make universal apps. The windows 10 PC marketplace is just as barren as the mobile market place, and in most cases when a PC app is released, theres no mobile counterpart available.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm just really bitter right now. I want developers to get their **** together on windows phone, but even 200 million windows 10 users isn't convincing anyone to make universal apps. The windows 10 PC marketplace is just as barren as the mobile market place, and in most cases when a PC app is released, theres no mobile counterpart available.

I agree with you. Things like my car navigation system having a pandora app that only works on android and ios are just small annoyances that add up. Though you will be reassured that universal apps are happening everyday, as I've been told and you soon will.

Swflyingpotato

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
It depends how much you use features like check deposit for BofA. The mobile website will cover everything else, but the check deposit could be a deal breaker. I may be mistaken, I do remember Bank of America stating they are creating a W10 app - not sure though could be thinking of another bank / company. Most, if not all, of those apps are in the Windows store - all with varying quality, some first party, some third. Apps like Myfitnesspal, could be replaced by Microsoft Health, since you can connect the accounts via the Health app (I prefer it to the myfitness app - its wonky). ESPN has recently updated their app, interface looks great and alerts are fully functional. If you still have your 1520 around, install Insider preview with Windows 10 and use it as an in home device for a couple of days.

As for the 950 XL, I love mine. The talk of flimsy build quality (plastic vs. metal) has been a tireless waste of conversation - all personal preference. The removable back, dual sim, micro sd and removable battery nullify that argument for me. My friends with Galaxy Note and iPhone haven't given me the run around of a cheap garbage phone. The phone is light, even lighter than the iPhone 6 Plus. The removal of the hardware buttons hasn't hindered me, in fact it's nice to hand someone my phone to show them a picture and they don't hit the search button. Screen is beautiful - but it does drain the battery a bit extra. There are bugs, nothing like I haven't seen on other platforms. The recent .36 update a couple of weeks ago, fixed the crashing issues I had with Bluetooth and Groove Music. The camera is fantastic (really fast too) - there are plenty of reviews for that so I won't go into great detail. I wish the battery life was better - I can't complain entirely because I keep these features on: Bluetooth (MS Band), Hey Cortana, Windows Hello and Glance. With Windows Hello (Works with sunglasses, glasses and contacts from my experience), the only issue I have is when I get up in the morning because my eyes are half shut. Fingerprint readers also aren't perfect, if you have wet, greasy or just sweaty fingers people run into issues. I'm hoping it becomes faster with updates though.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The worst problem with finger print readers seems to be when I have no oil on my hands-from frequently washing. In general though, I love that feature and it unlocks the lock screen before it can come up.

The buttons on the screen used to kill me. It was like everyone was intentionally pressing them when I'd ask them to take a picture for me or whatever!!!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
In response to your thread title:

No :evil::evil:.

Joking aside, if you don't like your iphone just switch back.

Use what you feel is best for you.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
What's visual voicemail and voicemail in general?

Voicemail allows someone to call your phone and leave a voice message when you don't answer.

Traditionally you call a number and listen to a menu system. Visual voicemail produces a list of messages on your phone that you can listen to, delete, rewind, reply to without listening to a phone menu system.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

lankylars

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
It's hard to give great advice, because everyone's preferences are different. Some people absolutely can't stand missing an app or using a less feature-rich version. Others don't mind as much. Some people think they'll feel one way and then realize they are the opposite. For what it's worth, I bought the dual SIM 950XL on Black Friday. I don't have as many daily "must use" apps as you do. There are some headaches and growing pains with W10 on mobile, and with the hardware, but I am someone who can put up with certain inconveniences. I'm enjoying the 950XL and continue to appreciate the benefits that only Windows can offer on phones versus iOS/Android. I am invested in the universal platform theory and want to see where it's headed. I find that the time savings from having an integrated environment across my phone and Windows 10 laptop, plus the speed, fluidity, and common sense (IMO) of the design language is worth putting up with some missing apps and features.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate everyone's responses.

It's hard to give great advice, because everyone's preferences are different. Some people absolutely can't stand missing an app or using a less feature-rich version. Others don't mind as much. Some people think they'll feel one way and then realize they are the opposite. For what it's worth, I bought the dual SIM 950XL on Black Friday. I don't have as many daily "must use" apps as you do. There are some headaches and growing pains with W10 on mobile, and with the hardware, but I am someone who can put up with certain inconveniences. I'm enjoying the 950XL and continue to appreciate the benefits that only Windows can offer on phones versus iOS/Android. I am invested in the universal platform theory and want to see where it's headed. I find that the time savings from having an integrated environment across my phone and Windows 10 laptop, plus the speed, fluidity, and common sense (IMO) of the design language is worth putting up with some missing apps and features.

The common sense approach is what kills me. iOS is such a pain the *** to even make a call. With that being said, I do think I'm leaning towards waiting for the Surface phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priya8923