20 MP camera?? Really??

nadroj915

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I got a new Lumia 950 XL as a Christmas gift - to myself - so far I really love the phone. It's fast, and it feels great in my hand. There are some quirky things I was wondering about however - hoping somebody can answer:

1) Is the camera really 20 MP as stated in the specs? The largest image size I am able to choose within the camera settings are 16 MP at 16x9 aspect ratio, and 19 MP at 4x3 aspect ratio,

2) Is the action centre customizable? Can I choose what actions to have there, other than the quick actions? It seems that I am not able to customize this, or I haven't found the way. I'd really like to have a VPN button in the action centre.

3) Windows hello sometimes fails to start up, after locking the phone - I've noticed this sometimes while using the camera app, if I don't close the camera app, and then just press the lock button on the phone. When I press the lock button again to unlock the device, the lock screen turns on, but Windows hello does not engage.

Hoping for some answers - thanks in advance!

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
1.- Yes, really, it is a 20 MPX camera. The camera app can save the jpg version and the DNG (raw) version.

2.- Settings->system->notifications

3.- Set the system for ask for the pin "always"

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I

1) Is the camera really 20 MP as stated in the specs? The largest image size I am able to choose within the camera settings are 16 MP at 16x9 aspect ratio, and 19 MP at 4x3 aspect ratio,

!

The camera sensor is 20 MP and with this it can take 4:3 and 16:9 pictures but due to different "sizes" it has to be "bigger".

4:3 = 4992x3744=18690048 ≈ 19Mpix
16:9 = 5376x3024=16257024 ≈ 16Mpix
5376x3744=20127744 ≈ 20Mpix

nadroj915

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
2.- Settings->system->notifications

This doesn't help - in Settings > System > Notifications, I can only customize the "Quick Actions," and even then, the only ones that I can choose seem to come from a default list of availabe actions (the 15 that appear when you have the action centre fully expanded). There still seems to be no way to have a button for VPN.

Thanks for trying.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
This doesn't help - in Settings > System > Notifications, I can only customize the "Quick Actions," and even then, the only ones that I can choose seem to come from a default list of availabe actions (the 15 that appear when you have the action centre fully expanded). There still seems to be no way to have a button for VPN.

Thanks for trying.

For my 930 and 920 on WP10 I have a button for VPN in the default list. And I have 16 items in this list. No idea why the VPN is missing in the 950 XL.

stoneshop

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
2) Odd as it may seem but this has to do with your screen settings. When you have set the size of text, apps and items to 400 or 450% the action center has 4 rows of 4 actions, so there are 16 actions to set which includes VPN. When the size is set to 350% the action center has 3 rows of 5 actions, so you have 15 actions. Microsoft chose to leave out VPN in that case. You cannot choose yourself which setting to leave out. In an earlier build of W10M there were 3 rows of 5 and 1 single action in the action center. Because this didn't look good they changed that.

Keep in mind that, when you change the screen setting it also influences your start screen. At 400 or 450% you have 3 medium tiles in a row and at 350% you have 4 medium tiles in a row. My L950 was standard set to 400%. Could be that, due to the screen size, the L950XL is standard set to 350%.

3) I have the same sometimes, not always. I cannot reproduce this bug and for me the only way to get Hello back is to restart the phone.

Last edited:

nadroj915

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
2) Odd as it may seem but this has to do with your screen settings. When you have set the size of text, apps and items to 400 or 450% the action center has 4 rows of 4 actions, so there are 16 actions to set which includes VPN. When the size is set to 350% the action center has 3 rows of 5 actions, so you have 15 actions. Microsoft chose to leave out VPN in that case. You cannot choose yourself which setting to leave out. In an earlier build of W10M there were 3 rows of 5 and 1 single action in the action center. Because this didn't look good they changed that.

Keep in mind that, when you change the screen setting it also influences your start screen. At 400 or 450% you have 3 medium tiles in a row and at 350% you have 4 medium tiles in a row. My L950 was standard set to 400%. Could be that, due to the screen size, the L950XL is standard set to 350%.

3) I have the same sometimes, not always. I cannot reproduce this bug and for me the only way to get Hello back is to restart the phone.

Interesting info - I didn't know the app/text size influenced that at all - I haven't tried it as of yet - but I did notice that my L950 seems to be default set to 350% (recommended). However, at this setting (350%) I do indeed have three rows of medium tiles on the start screen, and not 4 as you have stated. I have set my size to 400% just now, restarted the phone to see what happens. I still have 3 medium tiles across on the start screen, but now my action centre does show a 4x4 grid, and the VPN button is now there.

Thanks for the help!

stoneshop

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
To get the extra tile on you start screen at 350% you have to go to your personal settings>start screen and check the "more tiles" option

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium