HTC M8 - Windows 10 Bugs/Solutions (updated Mar 6, 2016)

kristofpetho

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

I have not seen any thread like this, so I thought I would make one, where we can share the Windows 10 bugs/errors and experiences so that we can save each other some headaches...

What I have found lacking until now (10.0.10586.122) - and probable coulprits/fixes:
- HTC apps not working properly (HTC Camera, Dot View case, etc) - HTC needs to update
- Microsoft Camera HDR not working, video recording laggy, video recording capped @30fps - Camera app needs update
- Screen brightness buggy on automatic setting - Firmware
- Screen response issues after calls - Firmware
- Notification sounds/vibration unreliable - Core OS
- Notifications "pile up" when phone is idle - Core OS
- Nav bar not hiding in a lot of apps - app-specific, developer needs to update to Windows 10 Mobile
- Phone sometimes won't unlock when entering lock screen PIN - Core OS

Anything else you guys found? I will update this list and cross out bugs when they are actually fixed. :)

Last edited:

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I have the screen response issues after calls, thou from what I've read that's not exclusive to the M8.

The nav bar not hiding in alot of apps is my personal annoyance.

kristofpetho

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Re: HTC M8 - Windows 10 Bugs/Solutions (Jan 3, 2016)

I have the screen response issues after calls, thou from what I've read that's not exclusive to the M8.

The nav bar not hiding in alot of apps is my personal annoyance.

Thanks! Are you also on 10.0.10586.36?

Bob Brown2

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: HTC M8 - Windows 10 Bugs/Solutions (updated Jan 4, 2016)

The Dot View case doesn't work, and the HTC specific camera functions just plain fail.

I haven't had the screen brightness problem.

JLP

May 16, 2011
Visit site

Also on 10.0.10586.36 here...

- Not seeing (or I'm not noticing?) HTC camera app or other HTC app issues here - can you be more specific? (I use HTC Camera by default and don't have any issues)
- Microsoft Camera - video is impossible with MS Camera on my phone. Results are poor frame rate and stuttering
- Notification sounds/vibration unreliable - Core OS issue? Sometimes notification sounds won't work when screen is OFF (i.e. phone locked). At the lock screen or phone unlocked, sounds work (like when receiving a text message). When screen is off, I can't hear any notification sounds nor feel the vibrate. Often I can pull my phone from a bag or pocket, and have a bunch of text messages, but never knew they arrived. On Win 8.1 was not a problem.
- Notifications "pile up" when phone is idle - won't receive any notifications for some X period of time when my phone is idle, and next time I unlock my phone I'm flooded with notices (sometimes a pile of 7 or 8, or even more)
- Phone sometimes won't unlock when entering lock screen PIN - have to lock phone with button, then activate lock screen with same button

Nav bar not hiding is also annoying to me, but I wonder if that is a function of the app developer? I haven't done a complete study, but my perception is that apps which are "carry-over" from Win 8.1 behave this way. But newly created "native" Win 10 universal apps do work? Am I wrong here?

Don't use automatic screen brightness so can't comment.

Huge annoyance that the Dot View case doesn't work...that's the coolest thing about the phone and the biggest thing I liked to show off about it when I was on 8.1

kristofpetho

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site

The Dot View case doesn't work, and the HTC specific camera functions just plain fail.

I haven't had the screen brightness problem.

Also on 10.0.10586.36 here...

- Not seeing (or I'm not noticing?) HTC camera app or other HTC app issues here - can you be more specific? (I use HTC Camera by default and don't have any issues)
- Microsoft Camera - video is impossible with MS Camera on my phone. Results are poor frame rate and stuttering
- Notification sounds/vibration unreliable - Core OS issue? Sometimes notification sounds won't work when screen is OFF (i.e. phone locked). At the lock screen or phone unlocked, sounds work (like when receiving a text message). When screen is off, I can't hear any notification sounds nor feel the vibrate. Often I can pull my phone from a bag or pocket, and have a bunch of text messages, but never knew they arrived. On Win 8.1 was not a problem.
- Notifications "pile up" when phone is idle - won't receive any notifications for some X period of time when my phone is idle, and next time I unlock my phone I'm flooded with notices (sometimes a pile of 7 or 8, or even more)
- Phone sometimes won't unlock when entering lock screen PIN - have to lock phone with button, then activate lock screen with same button

Nav bar not hiding is also annoying to me, but I wonder if that is a function of the app developer? I haven't done a complete study, but my perception is that apps which are "carry-over" from Win 8.1 behave this way. But newly created "native" Win 10 universal apps do work? Am I wrong here?

Don't use automatic screen brightness so can't comment.

Huge annoyance that the Dot View case doesn't work...that's the coolest thing about the phone and the biggest thing I liked to show off about it when I was on 8.1

Thanks guys, first post updated.

Re HTC Camera - the viewfinder is laggy, and the camera does not save location info - I guess it's a new/modified API in Win10M

Bob Brown2

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

I didn't realize that the HTC camera wasn't saving location information. I just switched my default camera back to the Windows camera because of that. Thanks for the heads-up.

Also, HTC Camera doesn't support Lenses. When I mentioned HTC specific camera functions above I was talking about HTC Photo Edit functions that were there to take advantage of the phone's Duo Camera. They don't work.

Another problem (although it started in 8.1) is the complete lack of support for the IR Blaster. IR Blaster and the Dot View case were the reasons I chose to purchase the M8 instead of the Lumia Icon. Now I don't have those features, and am lacking wireless charging to boot.

PS: I've never had the problem with missed notifications on my phone. I'm on Verizon, so maybe it is a carrier issue?

wayn1ak

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: HTC M8 - Windows 10 Bugs/Solutions (updated Jan 5, 2016)

The inconsistent notifications and piling up of notifications is annoying.

Also, I've been getting random reboots almost every other day. They don't really bother me because the phone boots up quickly but yesterday a strange thing happened where a lot of my old notifications (a day old) were appearing right after my phone rebooted.

After the recent update to Mail and Calendar, my inbox live tiles haven't been updating properly. The live tile counter keeps adding up after each new email gets received. Only fix is to unpin and re-pin the live tiles.

JLP

May 16, 2011
Visit site

I'm also on Verizon. (re: inconsistent and piling up of notifications). So I'm more inclined to believe it's an OS issue and not a carrier issue. But a sample size of 2 is hardly enough to make a conclusion :)

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this plague of notification problems.

I wonder what carrier wayn1ak uses, since he also has notification issues?

wayn1ak

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I'm on Verizon as well. I don't think it has to do anything with the carrier. I believe there's an issue with the core OS.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site

I have a hunch that the 'notifications piling up' issue goes deeper than just that. Twice now I have had this happen, and its not just that the phone is idle, the phone has also lost connectivity. I tried to send a text, with no indication that it hadn't been sent. However, having finally figured out that something wasn't right (no reply to text), I restarted the phone and got the notification flood, along with the frowny-face text tile indicating that the text hadn't been sent. I was able to resend it. Second occasion, the only way I found out was returning home and driving into my driveway. As soon as I got in range of my home wifi, I got the notification flood, and the failed text notification. Again, I had to restart the phone to get cellular connectivity back.

It may have something to do with Verizon's firmware vs. the OS, or it may just be something to do with the OS itself. Somewhat distressing in that you never know if maybe you're going to miss a call or text, or think you've sent a text but haven't. All without any indication of a problem.

Bob Brown2

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

I have never had a rebooting issue with this phone, nor do I have the notification problems that are being described here. Did you guys do a factory reset after the last upgrade? I usually do that when a new version of the OS gets installed.

kristofpetho

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site

I have never had a rebooting issue with this phone, nor do I have the notification problems that are being described here. Did you guys do a factory reset after the last upgrade? I usually do that when a new version of the OS gets installed.

TBH, I also don't have either of these problems, I also do hard resets...

JLP

May 16, 2011
Visit site

Maybe related to the issue of missed or "absent" notifications...I have noticed a sound/volume issue occurring several times for me. Some potential further evidence that there is a bug in the OS or at least in the sound/volume controls somewhere? I had noticed this several times and when it happened again, I took a screenshot to explain.

For some reason, I have happen on occasion that the volume display shows a numerical level >0 BUT IS ALSO showing that volume is set to "vibrate" (or zero volume). I sent this issue through the WIndows Feedback app already. See cropped screenshot image inserted below which should explain easily. Note also that while this state existed, a notification did pop up but was only accompanied with a vibrate, and no audible sound. However, if I hit play on the song, I would hear it through speakers. The only way I can "reset" this state without power cycle or soft reset is to drag volume slider all the way to zero and back to the level I want. Definitely a bug to me...

wp_ss_20160107_0001 (2).png

Anyone else seen this??

Bob Brown2

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

Not sure if I'm going to factory reset time. Got the update late last night.

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

.63 here. Running incredibly smoothly. Other than the usual problems that are prevalent throughout W10M no matter the phone, I'm not seeing anything bad native to the M8.

mslogjr

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site

Yes! I have a similar bug (just now got .63, haven't played with that build). Similarly, I can have the icon indicate that the ringer is on but volume is set to 0.

kristofpetho

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site

.107 is now installed, but I'm now experiencing high standby battery drain. I will probably just hard reset, but still... :)

At this point I am very much awaiting HTC to upgrade the firmware as well as the HTC apps (especially the Camera app)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99