Need some advice on overheating 950XL

NHUK

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Folks,

I have had a 950XL since early December, preordered from MS directly in the UK. It has run fine until about a week ago when it now starts to run very hot even when I am only web browsing. It gets to the point where it stops receiving email refuses to charge and the only fix is to remove the battery and leave it to cool for 20 mins. upon replacing the battery and booting up it then starts to retrieve mail again, and will charge. I have spoken to MS and they tell me I can return it, or 'send it to warranty'. I am not a heavy user (dont really touch facebook, twitter etc) and I dont play taxing games. I dont make that many long calls. I love the continuum feature and have the dock, but this is not enough for me to hang on to hardware that may be faulty, or simply unsuitable for the task. I am not aware of any specfic trigger, but it did seem to coincide with the last update that went out. If I dont take the oportunity to return the unit in the next couple of days, that ship will have sailed and I will be stuck with it.....

All constructive comment gratefully received :)

Last edited:

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Return it asap... Obvious defect, my guess is the previous troubled Snapdragon 810's liquid cooling is failing or is defective, possibly heat dispersion isn't working correctly..
Sure hope we're not going to see this issue start to pop up in other XLs..

NHUK

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Return it asap... Obvious defect, my guess is the previous troubled Snapdragon 810's liquid cooling is failing or is defective, possibly heat dispersion isn't working correctly..
Sure hope we're not going to see this issue start to pop up in other XLs..

Thats my concern, if they do a warranty swap out, how do I know I dont end up with one from the same batch.... It definitely does seem like something has gone wrong with the cooling. I am in the process of doing a device recovery on it now (only because I know they will insist I try this) but I doubt it will help. The other bugger for me is that the phone was officially despatched on the 4th December, so I unwittingly just fell outside the default returns period (hardly surprising with Xmas in the middle of it...)

NHUK

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
interesting, the OS version returned by the device recovery software is not the same as that installed on the phone. Also, having picked it up, cold, and opened edge browser, it was almost too hot to hold withing 60 seconds or so, definitiely cooling.... Its kept in a case and has had no knocks or drops so it would suggest the fault has developed autonomously

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The device recovery tool will offer the same version of software as when the phone was manufactured (i.e. earlier than .29).

If you haven't already, I'd suggest using the tool to reinstall the OS and firmware and see if that resolves the heat issue. If it doesn't then return/repair under warranty.

NHUK

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Pete,

Thanks for the clarification re OS versions. Having done the restore (at least that tool works really well now) the symptoms are just the same.... Looks like its going back, either they will let me get a refund so I can wait to see how the phone(s) pan out, or they send me a replacement and I see how that goes....

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would recommend a replacement. My own 950XL has been running fine and never gets hotter than mildly warm.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
yes return it immediately and don't play around with it! mine doesn't get very hot even when I'm gaming! so obviously something is wrong with the cooling mechanism...

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
The device recovery tool will offer the same version of software as when the phone was manufactured (i.e. earlier than .29).

If you haven't already, I'd suggest using the tool to reinstall the OS and firmware and see if that resolves the heat issue. If it doesn't then return/repair under warranty.

No, it will install the latest one available for the retail version of the device you are using

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion