People making fun of my Lumia 950 at the movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

joseacta

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Went last night to the movies with the wife to see Star Wars. Being Tuesday night, what we found in the theatre was a bunch of students (there's a big university close by) watching the movie. We arrived early expecting a big line but there was nothing so we got into the theatre more than 30 minutes before the movie. On my seat, I got my Lumia 950 XL out of my pocket and started researching some information for an upcoming appointment. I was also really happy that the app for playing trivia games on the theatre was available so started configuring that also.

While doing my stuff, I just heard students on the back laughing at my phone. I heard them say to each other: what is that? Is that Windows Vista? With Internet Explorer for browsing? And having a good laugh :winktongue:

It was funny, I just kept going and didn't say anything. But man, what you have to put up with for not being part of the Apple or Google religion. It's like you're not accepted in society anymore. :eek:rly:

PS. I recently switched to Windows after 4 years with iPhone. I think I just should expect this to be more common.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Its 2016 so these kids think productivity is the number of tweets per day, number of censored picture posts on Snapchat and how many likes they collected on Facebook and how quickly one can get a square photo uploaded on Instagram. Continuum they know not...may the force be with you!

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
It's just good to be different & not follow the crowd. Added bonus is Google isn't mining all your data & your no longer an I sheep.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I saw a student get punched in the face at a darts game last week. It was a lol. And the ambulance guy assured us he'd be able to see out of his left eye in a couple of weeks, so all good

Michael Bromley

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I work with high school students, and whenever they see my phone, they give me amazement and curiosity, not ridicule. Most of them have never seen a Windows Phone before and are always intrigued.

augustin25

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
My students often commented on the good looks of my recently retired 920. I spend a lot of time working at a coffee shop frequented by workers from Google and other nearby tech companies and have had a few inquiries about whether I like WP in the past but that's about it.

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
While doing my stuff, I just heard students on the back laughing at my phone. I heard them say to each other: what is that? Is that Windows Vista? With Internet Explorer for browsing? And having a good laugh.
People are spoiled and brain-washed with lots and lots of marketing and bought reviews about iPhones aka Apple, Nowadays, people buy iPhones because it is most expensive, not for its hardware, using it only for calls, chat and selfies, people buy because it is "style" style? why? marketing did it, it is called mainstream. Specially young ones, you know... what others will say, gotta go iPhone. You can talk endlessly about it, same like about "I go to a Gym" which is mainstream to say now, even if you do not exercise at all, and about which actually do and have great results, call them on steroids. People always boo, at whatever they are not familiar with. Just have a great laugh your-self and enjoy yours beautiful phone.

Last edited:

koffiejunk

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Well at my work they laugh at my lumia to...they say I am the last one in the netherlands with a Nokia phone.. I don't blame them. What is there to like except the home screen with live tiles? After 3 windows phones I am ready to give up on it.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
ignorance and people blurting out stupidities seems to be the "in" thing to do.

my nephew "tries" to do the same.... luckily cortana has a better singing voice over siri, which shut him up for whatever reason...

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Went last night to the movies with the wife to see Star Wars. Being Tuesday night, what we found in the theatre was a bunch of students (there's a big university close by) watching the movie. We arrived early expecting a big line but there was nothing so we got into the theatre more than 30 minutes before the movie. On my seat, I got my Lumia 950 XL out of my pocket and started researching some information for an upcoming appointment. I was also really happy that the app for playing trivia games on the theatre was available so started configuring that also.

While doing my stuff, I just heard students on the back laughing at my phone. I heard them say to each other: what is that? Is that Windows Vista? With Internet Explorer for browsing? And having a good laugh :winktongue:

It was funny, I just kept going and didn't say anything. But man, what you have to put up with for not being part of the Apple or Google religion. It's like you're not accepted in society anymore. :eek:rly:

PS. I recently switched to Windows after 4 years with iPhone. I think I just should expect this to be more common.

If It was me I would have given them the Vulcan Salute and say "Live long and prosper, yeah I'm a fan of Sci Fi in general just like all phones. Problem?" :winktongue:.

But yeah, enjoy your phone and I can tell you a few years ago being the only windows phone user in my social circle did get subject to ridicule.

However now?

Some of them now actually use Windows Phone and cannot stand going back to a grid of static icons.

Use what works for you and if that's a windows phone - great, iphone - why not, android - who cares?

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
When you get a bunch of any people togeather in a group they become mindless sheep instead of what they really are. I would not let it bother me in the least. I alternate carring a windows phone and a android phone. Have never had anyone question the qualities or lack of them for either phone. People are people no matter what phone they carry, good and not so good.

Eurx

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I am surprised. When someone seeing my phone they are confusing, speaking about good looking and asking waow isn't Nokia finished, what is this brand etc. (Lumia930)

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
yea I would of shot back b-a-a-a-a-a-a stupid sheep LOL then I would have shown them how awesome my L950XL is! but I don't think they would have listened... kinda hard to hear over the b-a-a-a-a-a-a-d manners LOL

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
That's ridiculous, they really shouldn't care so much.

I'm the only one in my friends circle who has Windows Phone, and it;s been like that since we started being friends, no one really cares. When people ask me if I have an iPhone or Android, I love answering "neither". People are usually like, oh really?!

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I get a heck of a lot of ridicule for using Windows Phone. Usually I just tell them in extreme detail why Windows Phone works for me and why iOS and Android don't (we're talking like 2'000 word essays that would make even the most senior lecturer drop their jaw). People usually shut up then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786