Lumia 950 video autofocus really bad?

Dante X

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey, is just me, or the autofocus on video is really bad...

I compared videos with my old 920 and in some cases, the 920 takes more Sharp videos...
Also, have you noticed that colors are soft in the 950 videos?

Do you think this will improve with future updates?

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Right now I'm of the opinion that EVERYTHING about the 950 is awful; it's simply a terrible, Terrible, TERRIBLE device. Just this evening the iris scanner randomly stopped working, which necessitated a restart. A little bit later Bluetooth wouldn't function with my car, which required TWO RESTARTS to get working again (of both the car and the phone). This is on top of all the other issues I've been having. New firmware can't get here soon enough. C'mon AT&T, let's get moving!

My advice to anyone even remotely interested in a 950 or 950XL is DON'T DO IT!!!!! I've mentioned the problems I'm having with mine to several people and none of them have had anything remotely as bad happen with their competing smartphones.

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
The latest firmware update does fix the blurry images (not entirely but it is an improvement) and also the autofocus, but....
If you want to take really nice pictures you have to adjust the focus yourself.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
There must be something wrong with it. Have you considered returning it? Tried a hard reset?

I did a hard reset about two weeks ago and set it up from scratch, which improved things a little but it's still a wretched device. In fact, it restarted randomly on me again today, then something about the sim card popped up, which required another restart. The speaker is clicking intermittently right now as I type this and I have no idea why. I think it's high time I returned this piece of junk, hopefully for a full refund.

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
In fact, it restarted randomly on me again today, then something about the sim card popped up, which required another restart. The speaker is clicking intermittently right now as I type this and I have no idea why. I think it's high time I returned this piece of junk, hopefully for a full refund.
Obviously you have a bad unit, that's not normal. You can't judge a model based on one faulty device. You can say it's bad QC, but that's another story... :)

My first N8 crashed once every hour, based on that it would be one of the most unreliable phone models ever. I returned it and got another one that crashed twice a year.

Last edited:

eriks1805

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Wow, it only takes, like, TWICE as long to boot up as the iPhone. I wonder if that's one of the great new features of Windows 10 Mobile LOL?

Buy an Iphone then. I am very happy with the 950, on .63 build. No problems here. The auto-focus in video works good and fast

Last edited:

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
One of the 4K tests done with the 950 (or maybe it was the XL) showed how terrible the "focus hunting" was with it. This is something that has plagued the Lumias (maybe non-Lumia models also?) for a while. My 1520 and Icon focus hunted quite a bit. It is very, very annoying. This must be fixed.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 920 has always had issues with focus. There was a patch early on which actually made things worse. They addressed at some point, but it was never good. Right up to the day that I replaced my phone I'd often have to take numerous shots to ensure I'd have a few in focus. It was frustrating when I found later that none were in completely in focus.

So, from that perspective the 950 is much better. But it does still happen, which is ridiculous. 3 years on and they still haven't figured this out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte