My win 10 computers don't connect to my 950xl

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
They used used, I don't know what happened, maybe after an update. Tried 2 different computers and 2 different cables.

Usually a 2-step process.

Step 1: connect a USB Type-A to USB Type-C cord.
Step 2: tap "YES" when asked "Use USB data connection".

(you will need to enter the password on phone, if phone is locked)

or,

If that does not work make sure your phone in on your local network. And that your PC computer is set "Turn on network discovery" and "turn on automatically" for your local private network.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
They used used, I don't know what happened, maybe after an update. Tried 2 different computers and 2 different cables.

I had the same issue, my PC and phone communicated just fine and then it stopped showing up when I plugged it into my PC. I downloaded the Windows Phone App onto my PC and it fixed it. Kind of dumb, but it worked. I think the app is awful, doesn't serve any purpose, but it seemed to load the drivers I needed. No idea why it stopped working in the first place.

RealBboy360

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I had the same issue, my PC and phone communicated just fine and then it stopped showing up when I plugged it into my PC. I downloaded the Windows Phone App onto my PC and it fixed it. Kind of dumb, but it worked. I think the app is awful, doesn't serve any purpose, but it seemed to load the drivers I needed. No idea why it stopped working in the first place.

What is the " downloaded the Windows Phone App " can't seem to find it in the store.

goodbytes

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Same issue.I can see my other computers on the network just fine, but not my phone, and when I connect my Lumia 950 XL to my PC, Windows says that I connected a unrecognizable USB device. Tries multiple USB ports. The phone doesn't prompt me for anything. It does charge the phone, but that is all.

Phone Companion app says "Want to manually move a few files or just charge your battery? Plug in your phone." I did that...

[Update]
Doesn't like my USB 3.0 connector, and I had to use a USB 2.0 without a hub (even though it is powered).

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
What is the " downloaded the Windows Phone App " can't seem to find it in the store.

When I get home tonight, I'll get the exact naming convention. It's basically a PC app that works as a companion to your Windows phone. The app itself is an absolute joke (all it does is asks if you want to open the phone in file manager or in the app's file manager) but it seems to load the drivers or do something, so my PC recognizes my phone again. (I do not have this issue on my work PC, Win 7.) I also don't check wc at home either, lol.

RealBboy360

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
This is really driving me crazy. Just ordered a new cable from ebay that's supposed to work with 950xl and it doesn't.

Why didn't they just keep the same cables? I've had windows phone since the start and have published apps for it as well. This is the 1st phone that really gets me frustrated.

EDIT: Seems like it was the cable. I tried another cable and it worked this time. Maybe because I installed that windows app program 1st. I have tried like 4-5 different cables before though, very frustrated

Last edited:

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Had a similar problem with a preview build with insiders for my lap top and I wouldn't recognize my phone, just went to media player. Updated to the newest insider build 11102 and it worked.

Sundancer268

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem and the windows phone connector app does not work for me. When I plug my phone in all I get is a flash on my screen and it then reverts back to what was on it before I plugged my phone in. The phone charges just fine when connected to the computer with the USB "C" cable supplied with the phone. I have tried a USB 2 Hub and nothing happens when the phone is plugged in. The USB 3 ports on my computer work just fine. Any help out there for this problem?

PS: the phone is up to date per the Update App. Thanks, Ed

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem and the windows phone connector app does not work for me. When I plug my phone in all I get is a flash on my screen and it then reverts back to what was on it before I plugged my phone in. The phone charges just fine when connected to the computer with the USB "C" cable supplied with the phone. I have tried a USB 2 Hub and nothing happens when the phone is plugged in. The USB 3 ports on my computer work just fine. Any help out there for this problem?

PS: the phone is up to date per the Update App. Thanks, Ed

Have you tried installing the Windows Device Recovery Tool? This installs a whole array of drivers that far exceeds the "Windows Phone app for desktop" I previously mentioned. I would install WDRT and connect your phone. If it still doesn't recognize the phone, there should be an option you can click ("Device still not found?" or similar), and it goes into a more advanced trouble shooting mode to find your phone.

And if you're worried: you will get multiple warnings before WDRT tries to restore your phone to its factory state.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro