Battery life in L950

avi_920

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Lets have this thread dedicated to discussing all the battery issues related to Lumia 950.

As per Daniel's review, L950 is supposed to have a 'solid' battery life.

I am definitely not satisfied with the battery life of the dual-sim variant of L950. With minimal to moderate usage, the best I could get is a maximum of 14hours.

Also there are lots of bugs; say if you are doing a soft reset or restarting after a full charge, your battery will be down to 95%, and at 5% the phone shuts down automatically. So basically we just have 90% of the 3000 mAh battery.
Even while charging if you unplug and do a reset, your battery percentage would increase by significant amount. Also, the phone stays always warm when charging, and if you've left your wifi ON it can get really warm.

Users of L950, how content are you with the battery life of the latest 'flagship' model from MSFT? Are you facing any issues as mentioned above?

northernpipeman

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Lumia 950 with .63 but no firmware.

The battery saver predicts ~20-24 hours. It lasts very well on standby (with either wifi or data turned on, makes no real difference), but as soon as I use any data actively through edge, nextgen news reader, facebook, etc, then the battery dies very fast and I can get a good 6-8 hours before running out. it also dies very fast when using the Overdrive ebook app, which makes no sense since that uses no data, and just a black screen and white text.

.63 update has made some difference, and it only runs warm now when accessing data. It is cool when charging.

I'm really not too happy with it at the moment since its really no better than my L920.

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
From other post:

On Lumia 950 .63 with newest firmware.

Everything seems stable and a little more responsive, but only in OS itself, not in Apps, etc. and Phone make less heat.

When multi-tasking, getting shutters, hangs, and so on, specially when browsing Internet, it is strange, you should not have any performance problems, when you have 3GB of RAM and Hexa-Core processor, have no issues with Lumia 830 on W10M , even 630 on WP8.1.

Battery, on stand-by is very good, but browsing Internet, no matter, Edge, UC Browser, Baconit, YouTube, it literally sucks battery in seconds. From 100% to 60% battery in only not even full 2 hours, with Battery Saving on and Brightness 25%. and nothing else in background.

Is it possible that installing firmware first, and only then updating from .11 to .36 and now to .63 could caused any problems?

avi_920

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 950 with .63 but no firmware.

The battery saver predicts ~20-24 hours. It lasts very well on standby (with either wifi or data turned on, makes no real difference), but as soon as I use any data actively through edge, nextgen news reader, facebook, etc, then the battery dies very fast and I can get a good 6-8 hours before running out.

.63 update has made some difference, and it only runs warm now when accessing data. It is cool when charging.

I'm really not too happy with it at the moment since its really no better than my L920.

So looks like there's nothing different with regards to the battery performance with the .63 update.

As you had pointed out, even mine with the build .29 and the firmware update, the phone lasts for 8 hours when using FB messenger, whatsapp, shooting few pics and syncing emails.

Good to know they've fixed the warming up issue when charging.

Same here, except for the camera and slight increase in performance speed, L950 is not much better than my 3 year old L920 running W10 with build xxx.63

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
It is really strange, I instantly noticed that no OS update or firmware does not increased battery life, only on stand-by a little better, firmware promises on battery was truly not real.

Yes battery got a little better over time, since I have it for more than two weeks, but is not good at all.
Full 100% charge on battery saver says 2 days max, without anything in background or WiFi.

So is that battery problems, or OS, I have no idea, just hope it gets better over time and updates. Thinking on Hard Reset soon.

avi_920

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
It is really strange, I instantly noticed that no OS update or firmware does not increased battery life, only on stand-by a little better, firmware promises on battery was truly not real.

So is that battery problems, or OS, I have no idea, just hope it gets better over time and updates. Thinking on Hard Reset soon.

Standby time is okay, nothing so good.

The last firmware update = No changes in battery life.

Hard reset also won't make any difference. I tried it thrice since 2 weeks I got the phone, yet no changes.

Do you also have the bug where battery drops 5% when doing a reset or turning off & turning back on after a full charge?

ajprmaverick

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
yea it does it on mine also shut down the phone loses 5% and shuts off when its at 5% too. Thats why I bought an original battery for the 950xl I don't worry about making through the day no more I just pop that sucker in and back to 100%

avi_920

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
yea it does it on mine also shut down the phone loses 5% and shuts off when its at 5% too. Thats why I bought an original battery for the 950xl I don't worry about making through the day no more I just pop that sucker in and back to 100%

Can you site the source where spare batteries for L950 & L950XL are available? Sure most people would prefer to get a spare one.

avi_920

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
The .63 update for non-insiders is rumoured to be available tonight. Hopefully along with the pre-existing firmware & the new update lets see if that makes any change with performance in battery.

fly_branch

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I hope they solve the battery drain problems at some point. I have tried everything. Not much of a flagship so far - more of a failedship.

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
From the other 950 battery thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...950-battery-life-post3337401.html#post3337401

These are just suggestions for what to try out, it's not like you should have to disable everything.
- Use a new SIM card.
- Perform a hard reset if you haven't done it yet, using the buttons!
- Don't restore your settings from a from a WP8.1 backup.
- Remove the SD card, it may be faulty.

Turn off:
- Cortana
- Glance
- Hello
- 4G LTE
- Bluetooth
- NFC
- "as items arrive" in email sync settings
- Feedback & Diagnostics
- Page prefetch in Edge
- Mobile hotspot (besides the one in Action center)

Last edited:

northernpipeman

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
These are all good ways of generally saving battery, and certainly well worth turning everything off, and then progressively back on again to find specific drains. Unfortunately, the main power consumption on my device is definitely when it is in use, and particularly when accessing data/radios. The standby life is already great, so no matter what I turn on/off it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I have also tried a few resets, including installs from WP8.1 and WM10 backups, and it didn't make any discernible difference.

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
From the other 950 battery thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...950-battery-life-post3337401.html#post3337401

These are just suggestions for what to try out, it's not like you should have to disable everything.

a_nokia_announces_asha_210_feature_phone.jpg

Hey look, on this phone you don't even have to worry about turning those features off!! And the battery lasts for DAYS!

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
yea that what ticks me off people saying great battery life but come on turn in off every feature is not a solution

I agree with your statement; we shouldn't have to "hobble" the device by turning things off just to get through the day without the phone dying. Frankly it's a 100% engineering mistake (either hardware or software) if the best advice is to switch off apps that are designed to run in the background for a reason.

When Steve Jobs told iPhone users to "hold the phone differently" a few years ago because the antenna was being covered by the users hand, the whole world blew up and went insane with Apple for a sloppy design. Apple eventually backed down, accepted the issue for what it was and offered new iPhone owners a cover to try and sort the issue out.

Frankly, whether this is a hardware or software issue is irrelevant. Although it's a bit of a 1990's solution, Microsoft should be putting a spare battery in the box.

Oh, and my 950 gets barely 5 hours out of the day with moderate use. I've tried hard resetting the phone a few times, it doesn't help.

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
God, Microsoft pleeeeaaaase don't make me give in and get an LG G4 or other Android device with large battery and SD card slot. I'm begging you...
My 3+ year old Lumia 920's battery has significantly degraded over time and I need to upgrade. The USB port is getting pretty loose too and a lot of my cables don't stay in. I guess I could spend $20 and get a new batter and USB port off ebay and refurbish the phone...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb