Should I buy a 950XL or wait for the "Surface Phone"??

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Here are my 2 cents :)

... Also, to be honest, my Lumia 930 is still a quite powerful phone, runs quite good considering win 10 technical preview. ...:D

I was thinking the same thing. But the specs for the 950XL did me in and I ordered one the other day, should be arriving today. While I love my unlocked 930 (also on Win10 Insider) the 950 XL's larger AMOLED screen, dual-sim capability, SD card expansion, Glance screen support, replaceable battery/back plate, and multiple LTE band support are all too good of reasons to not pass it by. I think Microsoft's idea of their rumoured Surface Phone will be going through some growing pains if a 1st Gen ever sees the light of day.

isaac lee ishida

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Because I already bought 950 XL, and has twice sent to the service center. Finally, Microsoft gave me a new Lumia 950 XL. But still suffer from various problems such as can not send SMS, camera and battery problems. Finally I had to make an exchange to buy Lumia 950 and free continuum. However Lumia 950 also face the problem with continuum. Then I gave it to my sister, because my sister did not want to use continuum. I lose money with the purchase of this Lumia 950 XL. I've bought a lot of phone from Nokia and now Microsoft. But the purchase of 950 XL most disappoints me. Finally, sales of Lumia 950 and 950XL had stopped in my place. And I received advice from Microsoft store employees that I better wait until next high end Lumia in future (2016).

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I was thinking the same thing. But the specs for the 950XL did me in and I ordered one the other day, should be arriving today. While I love my unlocked 930 (also on Win10 Insider) the 950 XL's larger AMOLED screen, dual-sim capability, SD card expansion, Glance screen support, replaceable battery/back plate, and multiple LTE band support are all too good of reasons to not pass it by. I think Microsoft's idea of their rumoured Surface Phone will be going through some growing pains if a 1st Gen ever sees the light of day.

Well all those things look really nice, but when i asked myself what would i really need right now, the answer is a bigger screen and a dual sim support. The rest is still good enough in my L930. Considering this phone cots more than 600€ here in Europe, i decided it is not worth it yet. Maybe when the price gets down :)

lankylars

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
One thing that is definitely silly is that Microsoft is selling the unlocked dual SIM 950 XL here in the US, where almost no one has any use for dual SIM, but the "international" version is single SIM. I do not understand how they came to the conclusion that this arrangement is better, especially given the current inability to use dual SIM devices with visual voicemail in the US.

wyabcp

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm waiting for more information on the Surface phone, whilst waiting the cost of a 950xl will drop, more apps will be available and bugs etc will be fixed.... when the info comes out i'll then decide whether to wait or go for the 950xl...
Currently I'm on 925, which is fine whilst I wait...

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Are you using BT headset or car connection a lot?
As for noice cancelling, there are other users with exactly the same problem, it seem so have something to do with hey cortana. As I said => BETA.

yes I do use my BT but not to my car radio for calls, here is my set up... I have my phone connected to my BT earpiece and I also have my phone connected to my car stereo via cassette adapter to stream my music from Spotify or slacker radio through my cassette player because my radio doesn't have an aux in... when I get a call, my music stream stops/pauses and transfers to my BT ear piece for the duration of the call, after my call and I hang up, the phone automatically switches back to my music SEAMLESSLY and without problems. also works when I get a txt message and Cortana reads me my message on my BT and then my music resumes... with no problems and no disconnection of my BT...

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I too use BT in the car\truck. In the truck it is a Pioneer Head Unit that works flawlessly with the 950XL. (Cortana and Groove)
Admittedly, in the car I use the OEM XM radio for the most part, but still get my text msgs and voice call support through BT. I should also admit that I get very few voice calls because I pretty much established many years ago that I prefer email\text. So the reports of unstable voice calling might be something I would experience. But I wouldn't know.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
If you can afford to do a one to 1.5 year upgrade cycle, get the 950 or 950 XL now and then await the Surface Phone. The 950 XL has been a positive experience overall for me. There are still many kinks to be worked out of W10, but Microsoft has moved to a frequent update model which is a welcome change for how smartphone updates are handled.

Carriers in the US are abandoning contract subsidies so you have to pay in full or do the next plan and pay monthly for the phone.

kklemn

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a lumia 920, and i was planning on getting the 950xl... but after seeing that it costs 636€ with 2 years contract (Slovenia) i discovered that my 3 years old 920 runs win10 perfectly! ;) i'll probably wait for the next flagship, and hopefully it will be a lot nicer than 950... (xl is ok, i guess)

deezus

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Dont buy a 950 anything. Wait or just keep your 640. There is no compelling reason, unless your a blind ****** like me, to get it. Its too expensive, glitchy,OS is not ready. Thank me later for the good advice. And before you fanboys and haters start rolling in I got a question for you, give me one compelling reason (not just because its not apple or droid) to invest that kind of money on the 950 series?

deezus

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Youre talking about the 950s camera right? That has not been my experience.....Camera takes fortever to "develop" pictures its a joke, quality is even at best with iPhone/galaxy series, and 4k is broken. Don't get me started on the awful herky jerky autofocus......

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
There is no guarantee that whatever MS pushes out carrying "Surface" branding will be any different than what you see now in the 950XL If you need a new phone now, then get the the 950 or 950XL. Both are good phones.

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I have a lumia 920, and i was planning on getting the 950xl... but after seeing that it costs 636? with 2 years contract (Slovenia) i discovered that my 3 years old 920 runs win10 perfectly! ;) i'll probably wait for the next flagship, and hopefully it will be a lot nicer than 950... (xl is ok, i guess)

Actually now it costs 24x24?, which is 576?, on simobil at least :) But we only have a single SIM option :)

Lep pozdrav iz kranja

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
One thing that is definitely silly is that Microsoft is selling the unlocked dual SIM 950 XL here in the US, where almost no one has any use for dual SIM, but the "international" version is single SIM. I do not understand how they came to the conclusion that this arrangement is better, especially given the current inability to use dual SIM devices with visual voicemail in the US.

It's all part of their plan for their new data sim.

jcrod73

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
yes I do use my BT but not to my car radio for calls, here is my set up... I have my phone connected to my BT earpiece and I also have my phone connected to my car stereo via cassette adapter to stream my music from Spotify or slacker radio through my cassette player because my radio doesn't have an aux in... when I get a call, my music stream stops/pauses and transfers to my BT ear piece for the duration of the call, after my call and I hang up, the phone automatically switches back to my music SEAMLESSLY and without problems. also works when I get a txt message and Cortana reads me my message on my BT and then my music resumes... with no problems and no disconnection of my BT...

Wait...What's a cassette player?? LOL...Your car has a cassette player still and you own a 950?? :shocked: :winktongue:

ahmad12

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Stay with what you have if its doing the stuff you need, and wait. Either the surface phone comes out, and worthy or by then the 950XL goes down in price or find a used one, and pay less.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)