Should I buy a 950XL or wait for the "Surface Phone"??

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Re: Should I buy a 950XL or wait for the "Surface Phone"??

The 1520 is a classic beast. Awesome phone. (I recommend not putting in your back pocket or any kind of flex-stress. It's a thin large device that can be tweaked if you sit on it. Some evidence this is what leads to the phantom touch issues)
Just so you know, the 1520 powers through W10M far better than the other pre-950 Windows phones
. So yes, if you get a fresh new 1520 at greatly discounted prices, you can have your cake and eat it too.
I have a 950XL and a couple of glorious red 1520s..

Thank you snake, your posts are always helpful and pleasant,
I have read those posts about the flexing due to how it is kept in yoir pocket and have made a conscience effort to keep it face out or in my coat's inside chest pocket
I'm sure the 1520 could run W10 better then most phones but honestly I'm not sure I can give up the incredible battery life compared to 8.1, on really heavy usage days I still have 30% by bedtime..

MN_Wolverine

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
I am struggling with the same dilemma. I had been using a Lumia 1520, however, the size was a bit awkward. That awkwardness, combined with numbness I have in my hands, resulted in my dropping it in my driveway a few months ago. Unfortunately, my insurance carrier did not have a replacement available. In fact, they did not have a single Windows phone available. To their credit, they told me to buy an unlocked phone of my choosing and they would reimburse me. I ended up with the HTC M8 Windows phone for $725! Three weeks later I had a check for the full amount!

I love the size, feel and operation of the HTC. So, why then am I considering the 950 or 950XL? Two reasons:

1. I always want the latest and greatest, and

2. Because I have upgraded my desktops and my Surface to W10 I want a phone that will run it as well and, unfortunately, every indication is that the HTC will not be eligible for W10.

My suggestion, for what it is worth, is that, if you have the cash, buy an unlocked 950XL and enjoy!

Andrew del Valle

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I couldn't wait to get rid of my 640 xl. 8.1 ran fine on it but 10 was uber slow. I got a 950 xl and I'm pretty happy with it. Still a little buggy and battery life didn't improve much with the firmware update. But overall superior to the 640xl.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
If you don't mind me asking, why don't you like the 640XL?

I couldn't wait to get rid of my 640 xl. 8.1 ran fine on it but 10 was uber slow. I got a 950 xl and I'm pretty happy with it. Still a little buggy and battery life didn't improve much with the firmware update. But overall superior to the 640xl.

The 640XL is a mid-level phone, very good for the price but I got rid of mine because it was just too slow and the camera left a lot to be desired.. Then again I was coming from a Note 4.. Couldn't be happier with my 1520, absolutely no glitches or bugs and looks & feels like a true premium flagship phone.

UniverseWolf

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Not sure which part of the country you?re from, but amazon Italy has one for ?560 with the possibility of getting the display dock if you purchase the phone until the end of this month - and naturally I wouldn?t be giving you this link if they didn?t ship to Slovenia.

amazon. it / gp / product / B016N0T2PY / ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d1_i1?pf_rd_m=A11IL2PNWYJU7H&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=0RN851QQSXGYYVJSZP8F&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=577208427&pf_rd_i=desktop

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I have a regular 640 and 10 runs great on it. What is the difference (besides screen size) between the 640 and the XL? I was thinking about upgrading my 640 to an XL but now i'm nervous to do so lol.

David T-Rex

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I moved from a 640 to 950XL - was really nervous about it after reading a lot of the posts on various sites. I love the thing. I wanted a larger screen as I do approx 2000-3000 miles a month in the car to visit customers and its great as a satnav. With Audible & the improvements to groove I am so happy with it.

I find it a lot snapper in use and the camera is AMAZING, just waiting for my free display dock so I can use it when in hotels to stream stuff (most of the hotels I visits have HDMI connectors)

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: Should I buy a 950XL or wait for the "Surface Phone"??

Just so you know, the 1520 powers through W10M far better than the other pre-950 Windows phones.

I'll add to this, the Icon and the 930 also run Windows 10 Mobile very well. Though, the battery life on the 1520 crushes the Icon & 930. I'm sure the 950 has better battery life than the Icon.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Y'all are funny. Rip snorting ready to buy a phone that we have only marginal information on, no true specs for, no release date, and no pricing information. That is too much speculation for me.

I have a AT&T 950 and am happy with it. I've got Black Leather Mozo Back Plate on order which should look SWEET! I'm hoping my Orzly flexible/transparent case will fit over that. Windows 10 Mobile is working well for me. Clearly MS needs to work on a few issues like the Beta Windows Hello, focusing at night and I'd like to see some WP 8.1 features brought forward like geofenced Wi-Fi and rotating Glance backgrounds.

I can buy a Surface phone a year and a half to two years or so from now. In the short term I have a very nice phone and I am supporting the platform.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I am struggling with the same dilemma. I had been using a Lumia 1520, however, the size was a bit awkward. That awkwardness, combined with numbness I have in my hands, resulted in my dropping it in my driveway a few months ago. Unfortunately, my insurance carrier did not have a replacement available. In fact, they did not have a single Windows phone available. To their credit, they told me to buy an unlocked phone of my choosing and they would reimburse me. I ended up with the HTC M8 Windows phone for $725! Three weeks later I had a check for the full amount!

I love the size, feel and operation of the HTC. So, why then am I considering the 950 or 950XL? Two reasons:

1. I always want the latest and greatest, and

2. Because I have upgraded my desktops and my Surface to W10 I want a phone that will run it as well and, unfortunately, every indication is that the HTC will not be eligible for W10.

My suggestion, for what it is worth, is that, if you have the cash, buy an unlocked 950XL and enjoy!

The HTC M8 can get 10 from the insiders program! I just set my friend up yesterday!! It works great on his phone

Flavio76

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Ok...I have a 640XL now. Not happy with it. So at this point should I buy a 950XL (it would be an unlocked one) or should I wait it out and see what becomes of these "Surface Phone" rumors??

Just did the same move, from a 640 xl to 950 xl, and I'm more than happy. Windows 10 is a whole new experience with XL.
Go for it

jcrod73

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Just did the same move, from a 640 xl to 950 xl, and I'm more than happy. Windows 10 is a whole new experience with XL.
Go for it

I have ordered mine, as well as an SP4:excited:, and will be getting it on Tuesday...I will then follow up after a week's time as to my experience with my 950XL...Thank you all for your input thus far!!

jacky_h

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Wait for the Surface Phone or, if you have the money, try something else in the interim. The 950 is not by any stretch of the imagination a premium or flagship phone. It's actually very little different in build quality from a 640 (I have both).

The 950 series are very obviously stop gaps from MS while they bring the Surface phone to market. These devices are hardly being promoted at all other than perhaps within the Windows community. Hence they serve dual purposes: Keep the community engaged (because let's face it, without the Windows online community/blogosphere, WM really is dead) AND get that same community's help ironing out the issues with WM10.

Microsoft have slapped a few bits of metal trim onto the 600 series form factor and passed it of as a flagship. More than a little disappointing, actually. Mozo covers (the third party ones you need to buy to give your phone a premium look) are OK but bulk the device up a fair bit.

PS: Case in point: More and more dust now getting trapped between screen and plastic edge. That is to say, certainly not the kind of manufacturing tolerance you'd expect from a flagship - because it isn't one.

ordivergens

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Wait for the Surface Phone or, if you have the money, try something else in the interim. The 950 is not by any stretch of the imagination a premium or flagship phone. It's actually very little different in build quality from a 640 (I have both)...

I took out my 640 XL to try W10 on it, and dear god, it was slow as hell... The funny thing is, the plastic on the 640 XL doesn't have the "soft touch" feel to it, but overall, it feels more solid, and whole in the hand. The 950 XL's plastic feels nicer to the touch, but the flex and creaky noises really compromise on that feeling of being solid.

There is nothing wrong with plastic on a flagship phone, it just has to be designed well, and I think Microsoft didn't do a good enough job in making the phone feel solid. They could have at least put some padding or something in the cover to minimize the creaking. I mean, my $240 640 XL feels better constructed, and the 950 XL cost me $650...

The Mozo cover certainly helps, but it also creaked on my 950 XL. I ended up putting some tape inside to act as padding. That stops the creaking, but now there is a noticeable gap between the body and the cover, so a lot of dust gets inside... Sigh...

I was hoping that if the 640 XL ran W10 reasonably well, then I could sell the 950 XL. I have a Note 5 Duos I bought at full price, and I really like it. Having a hard time trying to convince myself to keep the 950 XL as a second phone I use once in a while. The price and mediocre build quality really annoys me.

Ah, first world problems... :unhappy:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs