Should I buy a 950XL or wait for the "Surface Phone"??

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I want that case but curious, would a clear plastic/flexible case fit over it since it is replacing the back? Would like to have some corner protection from drops.

It's a bit thicker than the ms one. So hard to say based on the specifications the case is made for. It it's flexible it may stretch a bit. Me I just treat it like a 1000 dollar investment. Make sure I place it in areas nothing can happen. If in pocket I make sure I don't make any movements where it can slip and I don't use it one handed. I'll stop what I'm doing and use both hands.

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It's a bit thicker than the ms one. So hard to say based on the specifications the case is made for. It it's flexible it may stretch a bit. Me I just treat it like a 1000 dollar investment. Make sure I place it in areas nothing can happen. If in pocket I make sure I don't make any movements where it can slip and I don't use it one handed. I'll stop what I'm doing and use both hands.

I've come to baby 950XL too! I know some would say its a material item and to not get caught up with worrying about knicks and bruises on it, but you're right, it cost a pretty penny and I'll try to keep it nice and mint as best I can for as long as I can. If i do one day drop it, I'll keep everything in perspective and know that it's not the end of the world...until then, I make sure it's secure in any pocket I have it in just in case I somehow let it slip out. I also make sure it's not on my lap when I get out the car because that's exactly how I drop most my phones.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Nothing wrong with treating it like a $1000 bucks.

Cuz it is about that after all the goodies and such are added. (I have 2 docks and Jack Spade cover and Tempered glass screen cover and......)

woreyeoe

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Neither. The 950XL is WAY overpriced and the Surface Phone probably won't release until late 2nd QTR at the earliest.

Go buy a Coship Moly X for $299 and save yourself a ton of money. It's 5.5", 1080p, and has the SD410 which is 64-bit ready for redstone.

drmodify

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Thinking of the same thing.... SP or L950XL.... the openi remarks were inspiring but the last were devastating... damn now I don't know what to do

spazinvader

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Thinking of the same thing.... SP or L950XL.... the openi remarks were inspiring but the last were devastating... damn now I don't know what to do

My condition is nearly same as that of the OP. Have a 640XL; Not very happy about the phone. But Made up my mind at once 950XL(not even eyed about 950 ;-) ) is introduced in India. I will wait until June and buy 950XL. I bought my 640XL by August last year. So the warranty will still hold and I think it will be a good sell even at June.

Reasons for waiting until June:
  1. I do not "hate" my Lumia 640XL; I just merely don't like it. I also have a Lumia 920 and I guess I am spoiled by that gorgeous to not love 640XL
  2. According to me, 950XL is a little overpriced. I am not claiming it is over priced; it is just like whatever budget I thought for 950XL, the phone is priced higher than that. So will wait and save bucks rather than going for EMI and buy that phone
  3. Looking at 950XL, Surface phone(if released) will definitely be costlier at the time of release. So either I replace my 920 with Surface phone by next year June or with Surface Phone 2 by end of next year. If it is going to be an atom processor rather than Core M, I would rather stay with Lumia rather than Surface. I don't care about Physics ;-)

So bottom line is this. If you are waiting for a highest end phone, you will be waiting forever. Each and every year phone will make the previous year phone look like oldest. If you are in a hurry, buy the phone right away. If you can wait, wait until you get good deals of the phone. In any case, plan only for the phone that is already released or officially announced. No point in waiting for the next best thing.

NoviMajster

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
To add my five cent......

I am a huge Lumia fan (i LOVE my L1520) and my contract ran out in november. So i was in a simmilar dilemma; buy a 950xl or wait for the Surface phone.
My relative bought the 950xl and i have to say that i am really schocked how much ppl were blabbering about the quality. In my opinion the phone is top noch and the poicarbonate back is premium! But nontheless i was still intrigued about the surface phone (i know it still a mistery......more or less).
So, pls dont be angry with me dear MSFT fellowship, i went and bought an iphone 6s plus.
But the catch behind this purchase is simply financial. U see i have to buy a phone with the extension of my contract and it s for 2 years. As i eagerly await the surface masterpiece:) i know that after 9 months i will get almost nothing for a lumia 950 xl. On the other hand the value if my iphone will be extremelly high after that period. I will sell my iphone and buy a brand new phone......and wont loose even a dime.
The 950 is a very good product, but will stay only a object for fans with poor resell value. Thats the sore truth.

And to add..... i got bored with the iphone after 1 week and allready miss my Lumia, live tiles,...... But the apps on iphone are top nocth. I was assuming that i desperately need all these apps and was allways angry with the commercials with "available on google play and istore"...
After installing them i realized that i am not an app person, am not 15 years old so i would need 20 social apps, and dont even have the time to use all those apps.
The app gap is totally overblown! I was happy with my lumia and had all my needs covered.
So i will buy the surface phone the minute it gets out!

P.S. Live photos on iphone......LOL.......its hilarious how bad it is in comparison to Nokias original. :)

sameersaab

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I also have a 1520 and its a beautiful design. I'm not ready to give it up for anything out there right now. If I was given an even exchange for my used 1520 I dont want to do it. If windows 10 mobile doesnt start looking like its roots again, I may have to just jump ship finally. Had a wp7 phone and have loved the OS up to 8.1.
why would they make a slightly smaller phone with cheaper outer hardware? Noka's Lumias were made out of beautiful material and very smooth look. They need to at least get back to that.

Xaxxus

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
The first question that needs to be asked is WHY are you unhappy with your 640 XL? Is it too slow? Do you not like WP 8.1? Are you unhappy with the app quality?

If you answered yes to question 1, you might want the 950 XL. If you answered yes to any of the others, the 950 XL is not going to fix the problem, and in some cases it might worsen the problem.

Blacklizted

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Ok...I have a 640XL now. Not happy with it. So at this point should I buy a 950XL (it would be an unlocked one) or should I wait it out and see what becomes of these "Surface Phone" rumors??

Buy the 950XL and you won't regret it. I'm now selling my Lumia 1520 and Olympus PEN E-PL7 because the 950XLs camera is just that great.

Sonic98

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I really don't see the point of waiting on the Surface Phone. We keep talking about it, but it's going to have a specific market just like the Surface Pro, at least in the short term. The 950 line is a good set of phones. It's hard to imagine the Surface Phone totally blowing it out of the water, and really not many of us truly need a phone with an Intel processor. The only reason to wait is if you think there will be multiple improvements over the 950

Ok...I have a 640XL now. Not happy with it. So at this point should I buy a 950XL (it would be an unlocked one) or should I wait it out and see what becomes of these "Surface Phone" rumors??

What's wrong with it?

Buy the 950 XL. Slap a Mozo back cover on it if you want that premium feel (I know, it should have already had that premium feel out the box but whaddaya gonna do). Expansys USA has the 950 XL for a very reasonable price! It'll last you past the first iteration of the future Surface Phone. Then get the second generation Surface Phone after hopefully all the bugs and kinks have been ironed out.

Which cover do you consider the premium feeling one?

jmagwp

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Personally, having the 950XL since launch I can say just wait for the Surface phone. The device itself is ok for the most part, but W10M is a hot mess. Perhaps by the time the Surface phone is launched W10M will be out of beta. And the quirks of the 950/XL should be ironed out with the Surface phone if the other Surface devices are any indication of build quality and such.

BLKahuna

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
The title of the thread is 950XL now or rumored Surface Phone later. I ground on that decision myself but finally did this.

If you are in the US, AT&T offers the 950 (which I prefer to the XL anyway). If you purchase it with the AT&T Next 12 plan you can return it after 12 months from purchase. I believe you must replace it with another phone from AT&T, however. The price of the phone is split over 20 months so I'm paying about $30/mo for the phone.

So if the Surface phone materializes in Q4 2016 as rumored and AT&T stocks it (they've had every WP flagship so far) I can grab it in November. I return my 950 to AT&T having paid 12x$30=$360 to use if for a year. I owe nothing more for the 950 and only have to purchase the Surface phone from AT&T to complete the deal.

BTW - I really love my 950...

Gregory Newman

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
The question is Will there be a windows 10 "Surface" smart phone. Various Prototypes are being tested buy no Official word is out about them.
Windows smart phones Fans like me want Microsoft to make both an ARMS CPU version and the Intel CPU version Surface smart phone. Windows smart phone fans want the Intel CPU version to run full x86/win32 Desktop programs so we can use them in the Windows 10 smart phone's "continuum mode if we desire to do so. Windows 10 smart phones future could depend on the Intel CPU "Surface" Windows 10 OS smart phones because they can be made to run MILLIONS of Dskstop Computer programs plus regular smart phone apps

Hamper

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Honestly I wouldn't pay $849 CAN for the 950XL which is its price in Canada, but I found a white dual SIM model on Kijiji in NIB condition for a negotiated $600 ($420US) last week and I had to grab it.
After using it for a week I would say it is a significant upgrade from my Lumia Icon WP8.1 and makes that OS feel like using WP7 after I having WP8x for a while. I test drove a build of 10 mobile in August and had to remove it because it was terrible then, it's 98% percent there now. The camera is bananas, Windows Hello is fun and the screen quality is amazing. Glitches? A few, I had to restart it once because Hello stopped working, Outlook crashed twice when trying to send an email with photo attachment, and whenever I delete a photo the confirmation dialog box looks unfinished because the bottom part of the letters is cut off. That's about it so far.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss