Should I buy a 950XL or wait for the "Surface Phone"??

JD_Morecraft

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
950XL is a good phone, there are a few issues that just annoy the crap out of me an da lot of other people.

1) opening a text message from the notification screen can spawn an infant black screen until you hit the home button and then go back into the messaging app

2) Opening the camera app from the lock screen from the camera button can cause the black screen of annoyance issue as the message app from notification screen

3) Taking a picture from the messaging app, using the attach>camera can cause the messaging app to crash and lose any unsent message and photos

4) If you are going out for the day, you must have a portable power brick, or you will be mad around 4PM when your phone tells you the battery is about to die, and before you can click "OK" it shuts off.

im.thatoneguy

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok...I have a 640XL now. Not happy with it. So at this point should I buy a 950XL (it would be an unlocked one) or should I wait it out and see what becomes of these "Surface Phone" rumors??
Buy a 950XL. I would have quit Windows Phone entirely by the time the surface phone came out if I had to stay on the 1020 any longer.

jcrod73

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
The first question that needs to be asked is WHY are you unhappy with your 640 XL? Is it too slow? Do you not like WP 8.1? Are you unhappy with the app quality?

...What's wrong with it?

My reasons why I am unhappy with the 640XL are posted on page 3 of this thread...I received my 950XL yesterday. So far, it's way better than my 640XL experience (knock on wood). I will update in more detail after using it throughout the weekend.

Wineglass4Two

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
I bought my 950xl on Saturday and have it essentially all set up now. Had the Icon model before this and I have not had any issues with the operation of the XL. So far I would highly recommend.

DasWindows

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Normally i would buy the 950 xl, but since it is not on verizon, what i am hoping is that the surface phone will be on verizon. If not, i'm not sure if i will ever buy a windows phone (even though i want it). But i just hear to much bad from AT&T.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Well if we buy into his view we might as well sell our Windows phones now and get a iPhone or Android, his take is Windows phones are dead and just waiting for the grave to be dug!!! Sorry but I'm not buying into it, MS wouldn't put Panos Panay and his Surface engineers on a dead project..

Unless he means "Windows Phone 8 is dead", but I think he means Windows (Phone and 10), it is weird because Windows 10 phones are part of Windows 10 ecosystem, and Windows 10 is growing.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm almost 60 years old and changed careers mid-way when DOS showed up on the scene.
(It was a good decision for feeding the family)

Predictions about Microsoft almost always look funny in the rear view mirror.

jcrod73

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Normally i would buy the 950 xl, but since it is not on verizon, what i am hoping is that the surface phone will be on verizon. If not, i'm not sure if i will ever buy a windows phone (even though i want it). But i just hear to much bad from AT&T.

Go with T-Mobile...I switched from Verizon, who were ripping me off, to T-Mobile. My family & me get WAY MUCH more for our money and the service is not bad at all...Even if you live in a trouble spot, like we do, T-Mobile will help you out for FREE!! They will hook you up with one of their extender devices. Plus if you have a phone that can do WiFi calling then you're all set. Since I have had the 640XL and now the 950XL which do not have the WiFi calling option, they sent me a signal booster device. When I was with Verizon their maps state that we are in a 4G LTE area but we would only get 1, maybe 2 bars. Dropped calls all the time. VZW did an inspection and determined that we are in a "marginal" area. Their fix?? To BUY a cell booster from them for $250 or switch to a different carrier!!! What a bunch of D-Bags!!

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Go with T-Mobile...I switched from Verizon, who were ripping me off, to T-Mobile. My family & me get WAY MUCH more for our money and the service is not bad at all...Even if you live in a trouble spot, like we do, T-Mobile will help you out for FREE!! They will hook you up with one of their extender devices. Plus if you have a phone that can do WiFi calling then you're all set. Since I have had the 640XL and now the 950XL which do not have the WiFi calling option, they sent me a signal booster device. When I was with Verizon their maps state that we are in a 4G LTE area but we would only get 1, maybe 2 bars. Dropped calls all the time. VZW did an inspection and determined that we are in a "marginal" area. Their fix?? To BUY a cell booster from them for $250 or switch to a different carrier!!! What a bunch of D-Bags!!

I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile a few years ago and it was not good. They had really bad coverage in my area and I dropped calls everywhere I went. But I will say that their customer service was top notch and they even let me out of my contract without a fee because the bad coverage wasn't my fault. That was years ago when I had my Nokia N-Gage QD so maybe they have better coverage now.

I ended up going with AT&T and now I am with AT&T owned Cricket. The prices are great and the coverage is fantastic. I wont leave Cricket unless I absolutely have to.

But I do agree that Verizon is just awful! They do not care at all about making customers happy or retaining them. I would rather have no phone then give them my money again!

DasWindows

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile a few years ago and it was not good. They had really bad coverage in my area and I dropped calls everywhere I went. But I will say that their customer service was top notch and they even let me out of my contract without a fee because the bad coverage wasn't my fault. That was years ago when I had my Nokia N-Gage QD so maybe they have better coverage now.

I ended up going with AT&T and now I am with AT&T owned Cricket. The prices are great and the coverage is fantastic. I wont leave Cricket unless I absolutely have to.

But I do agree that Verizon is just awful! They do not care at all about making customers happy or retaining them. I would rather have no phone then give them my money again!

I would never go t-mobile but was considering AT&T. Haven't been with them since they were cingular .

But i need to make sure my connection is always good if i switch. From what i am constant;y told, verizon (yes price), is just way better. I have 6 months until my plan is up and either i will hold out for microsoft event or if they make versions for verizon.

Really sucks that i can't just pick the phone i want.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
If you need a phone, get the 950xl. Why suffer and wait for something you dont know when will come out and if it will meet your needs?

If you dont need a phone, wait. Why buy something you dont need?

jcrod73

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
My reasons why I am unhappy with the 640XL are posted on page 3 of this thread...I received my 950XL yesterday. So far, it's way better than my 640XL experience (knock on wood). I will update in more detail after using it throughout the weekend.

It's almost been a week with my new 950XL and I have to say that I have not had any major issues with it. I LOVE the Windows Hello feature...It's quicker, no freezing issues, and things are working as they should. I have not been frustrated as I was with the 640XL. I haven't been afraid to know if my phone would function correctly when I picked it up to use it. One thing that I'm not sure of, because I haven't really paid attention to it, is the battery life. I'll have to dedicate my attention to that to make a good assessment. Oh and one major problem I am having is with the Bluetooth. It would just disconnect from my headset for no reason at all...Otherwise I am pretty damn happy with it!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb