Anyone else upgraded the 635 to Windows 10?

Jean Claude Lopez

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I can't believe just how smoother my phone became from 8.1. It's way more fluid and IE (Edge) doesn't crash anymore. Although I notice the swiping on the keyboard is a bit buggy still, but overall there's no lag in typing. So happy 😊.

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I'm on the fast ring myself.

I've taken about a 13% hit in performance (mainly file I/O) coming from WP 8.1 overall (AnTuTu & BaseMark), but otherwise, it is solid. Each preview release decreases the performance penalty slightly, so I'm hopeful that it'll get to the point where there is no longer a performance penalty on my L635 (512mb).

anon(8057870)

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'm on the fast ring myself.

I've taken about a 13% hit in performance (mainly file I/O) coming from WP 8.1 overall (AnTuTu & BaseMark), but otherwise, it is solid. Each preview release decreases the performance penalty slightly, so I'm hopeful that it'll get to the point where there is no longer a performance penalty on my L635 (512mb).

That's some quantitative comparison. Did anyone check that for 920?

anon(5981118)

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Well, I was in Staples the other day and the 635 Go Phone was on sale for $30, so I got one as a backup. Then I started thinking about WP10. I have an 820, and there has been no sign that the 820 was EVER going to see WP10, so I thought WTHeck and bought a 635. I immediately went through the process to get WP10 (slow ring) onto it and I've been very pleased.

It's taken me a little while to find some of the functionality I had in 8.1, but I think I have it now. I'm not crazy about how you have to consciously close apps. It should be possible to do that without going into switching mode, but maybe I'm just lazy. I've also had the phone reboot without warning a couple of times, but that happened to me with 8.1 on my 820, too. Perhaps I'm just a Windows Phone CTD.

Overall, the phone feels responsive, the sound is decent, the battery life is good. And if I happen to drop it and break the screen, my heart wouldn't be broken (though, it's nice to see, there is a wide range of cases available for the 635; the 820 was an orphan from day 1. My only major complaint about the phone has nothing to do with WP10, but rather with the poor use of screen real estate. There's a lot of surface that's not screen above at the top and bottom of the front. But I can live with it.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I had a L630 running on W10 back in October. Wednesday I'm getting a Boost Mobile L635 that will be free with a number port-in. Gonna cost me about $35 with 3gb at 4G LTE.

Oh........
The L635 from them comes with 1gb of RAM.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

JuannyBooBoo

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I can't believe just how smoother my phone became from 8.1. It's way more fluid and IE (Edge) doesn't crash anymore. Although I notice the swiping on the keyboard is a bit buggy still, but overall there's no lag in typing. So happy 😊.

Which build are you using?

I tried out the Insider Preview last November, and I was on 10586 build 63, via slow ring, IIRC. At first, I loved it. Then, i started noticing how many bugs there were.. It became bad enough that I restored back to 8.1. One of the constant irritating things for me was that scrolling was inconsistent. Most of the time, it performed smoothly and predictable. But, 1/4 of the time, a scroll movement the same speed and motion as a previous one could send the phone into hyper speed scrolling, sending me to the bottom of a page. I don't have that problem on 8.1. A few weeks ago, I checked the Alcatel OneTouch Fierce XL at the T-mobile store, and it has the same stupid inconsistent scrolling. I believe it was shipped with the same version I had, 10586 build 63.

Between all of the bugs I encountered, I reasoned to wait until it baked further until I go back. I'm probably gonna wait MS makes 10 a GA release for the 635. Even then, I'm probably gonna wait for reports from you guys, and maybe confirm that i can still roll back to 8.1 via the Windows Device Recovery Tool.

Doug_10

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
I've got one Lumia 635 Go-Phone (512MB) on 10586.107 and one Lumia 635 Go-Phone (512MB) on 10586.164 and am experiencing no problems. It looks like Microsoft is not upgrading the 512MB ram 635 phone to the Windows 10 factory operating system. I recommend going to the Windows Insider Preview Ring and upgrading to the 107 or the 164 version, you'll be glad you did.

Bobby Phoenix

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
I installed the Technical Preview build today on my 512mb version. So far it's been very stable and smooth. I can't find anything to complain about.

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
10586.164 (Insider Release Preview) is quite a nice step up from the earlier builds, even .122
It is eminently usable on my 512mb Lumia 635, and I can't express how disappointed I am to hear that Microsoft have decided not to support 512mb devices.

Antut
AnTuTu.png

BaseMarkOS
BaseMark.png

anon(9890776)

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
Same here. Running 512mb RAM and still is a tremedous improvement. At first the internet was a bit much but after adjusting the background apps in settings, run nice.
Originally posted by Jean Claude Lopez

Leonidas Figueroa

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
Maybe its me or somebody else to, i just updated my L635 through Release Preview ring builds and getting .218 lastest build available at MS server, everything its okay, smooth phone, apps, notifications, games. finally fixed bug of apps can't run in background, playback bug that drops name of any song and loops. sorry about my bad english, well the only bug I have on my L635 512mb is battery drain.
somebody else is using w10m on their 512mb phones ? also somebody knows where i can get an L635 of 1gb Ram or its much better have an L640?

Cheers window central users

realitykid

Jan 28, 2016
Visit site
Maybe its me or somebody else to, i just updated my L635 through Release Preview ring builds and getting .218 lastest build available at MS server, everything its okay, smooth phone, apps, notifications, games. finally fixed bug of apps can't run in background, playback bug that drops name of any song and loops. sorry about my bad english, well the only bug I have on my L635 512mb is battery drain.
somebody else is using w10m on their 512mb phones ? also somebody knows where i can get an L635 of 1gb Ram or its much better have an L640?

Cheers window central users

Can you tell me how you got .218 on yours? My girlfriend's 635 only goes up to .107 and won't upgrade further.

nysink

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Got the 1GB RAM version and no problems, except for really bad lag on the keyboard sometimes in Edge. It doesn't even show up when it happens, but only in Edge.

Droska

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I did upgrade, now every app crashes very often and i have to re put in my windows account over and over again, along with many other problems, thanks microsoft.

Doug_10

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
I upgraded both of my L635's to .318.
Maybe you need to move everything you can (Photos, apps, etc.) to your SD card so there is more room on your phone internal memory. Only the required apps are on my memory in the phone and everything else is on the SD card.

EDIT: wgs84, glad you got it working. I'm installing .338 on my 2 L640's now and then I'll do my 2 L635's. They are all AT&T Go-Phones on a monthly contract.

Last edited:

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I upgraded both of my L635's to .318.
Maybe you need to move everything you can (Photos, apps, etc.) to your SD card so there is more room on your phone internal memory. Only the required apps are on my memory in the phone and everything else is on the SD card.

Thanks, but I figured it out a few days ago. I just had an ID-10-T error. I downloaded the Windows Insider app after a hard reset, but I forgot to configure it for release previews. Once I did, I was able to download .318.

I'm amazed that it runs pretty well on such a potato phone. Mine is the 512MB CV variant. It's pretty smooth, not as silky smooth as 8.1, but in the three days that I've been playing around with it, I haven't once had an app that just forced closed on me; on 8.1, apps would crash left and right. Still some "resuming..." though. And Edge sometimes freezes. Taken as a whole package though, I feel that W10m is better than 8.1 on this phone, just because the apps don't crash as much, if at all.

Edit: now it looks like it's getting .338. Fantastic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte