Battery drain potential cause...The phone update application

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I have been stuck in phone update hell for 3 days now. The insider program hosed me and tried to bring down .63 and it hung. Well I couldn't kill it and it was draining the battery like crazy. I used WDRT and got the new firmware and rolled the OS back to the official release with that firmware. Now my battery is draining again...check phone update and it's downloading OS build .29.

I think if that app is running at all it will your kill your battery, and I bet for most people it is hanging on a download and they don't even know. The side affect is battery life sucks on the phone.

Going to keep the phone on .29 for a while and see how the battery makes out...if it still sucks, will try to get up on .63 with my new firmware and see how that works.

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Seems pretty good on battery now that I have the latest firmware and released OS version. No pending phone updates. I will bet big money that is a big source of battery drain complaints.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Seems pretty good on battery now that I have the latest firmware and released OS version. No pending phone updates. I will bet big money that is a big source of battery drain complaints.

I am on .63 in a 2 day old XL. Started at 100% this morning and almost dead in 6 hours of texting and twitter and 3 phone calls. Terrible!

Last edited:

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
L950 on .63 and newest firmware, and battery is nowhere near good. With moderate usage, some music, some internet, without anything in background and all, charging it every day.
On .36 and newest firmware, been a little better.

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
My girlfriend had the 950xl and the battery life was awful no matter what we did. We sent it Back after a few weeks and received the same phone back. It's now perfect. The repair was a faulty battery. The repair sheet mentioned 1 cell fault and not to specification.
The funny thing is. We had the same fault on a Lumia 930 the week we bought that phone.
Hope this helps as I originally thought it was just Windows 10 just not optimized yet..

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
My girlfriend had the 950xl and the battery life was awful no matter what we did. We sent it Back after a few weeks and received the same phone back. It's now perfect. The repair was a faulty battery. The repair sheet mentioned 1 cell fault and not to specification.
The funny thing is. We had the same fault on a Lumia 930 the week we bought that phone.
Hope this helps as I originally thought it was just Windows 10 just not optimized yet..
Thanks for the info.
Out of curiosity, since the repair, approx how many hours usage do u get?

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info.
Out of curiosity, since the repair, approx how many hours usage do u get?

Well battery life is hard to work out as everyone uses their phone differently.
I get up at 8am read the news and check out a few websites. A few texts per day and a few short phone calls. A good few game sessions on Hungry Cells and more reading websites plus occasionallysone music. My battery usually is on about 10% come 10pm.
Doing the exact same thing on my Lumia 1520 I would be on 30% battery left. Both on Windows 10.
Before we got the 950xl repaired the battery would be drained by 2pm. When the 10% battery warning came on,the phone would sometimes shut down straight from that even tho it had 10% left.
Hope this helps.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Whoa! After testing, I have discovered that the Show More Tiles set on, for some reason killed my battery. It's off and my battery life is amazingly better. Please lmk if u have similar experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon