Mobile Data Usage Gone Wild

eagleye68

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
I have experienced the same problem with my L928. Battery drain and large data use. It is definitely from the system and not an app so I will also be trying the synch messages settings. I will say it seemed to be settled down this morning but resumed later in the day again.

darth furious

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
This is a bit off topic, but I switched out of AT&T recently and I'm really happy about it. I was worried about data overages on AT&T and would constantly turn off my data connection and hunt for wifi. There are many prepaid options out there that offer unlimited data (throttled after a certain limit) and my overage fears are gone. I would encourage you to check out prepaid options. What kept me with AT&T so long was the sweet grandfathered 2yr contract I had but now there are no more 2 yr contracts so I started to look around.

For the OP, it sounds like you are in Canada and I'm unfamiliar with the carriers there. I'm not here to try to sell my carrier, but I get 5 lines for $100 out the door with 2.5gb LTE data and unlimited 2g data after that from a carrier I will not name. I also get same coverage as AT&T so nothing changed. I know the data usage problem isn't addressed by this, but the overage fears may be addressed by this. All I am saying is if you are stuck on AT&T or Verizon, take a look around at some of the prepaid options and you may be surprised how much you could save. I wish I did sooner

pippyo03

May 14, 2012
Visit site
So the problem with data/battery issue is the 'sync across my devices' in the messaging app. I turned mine off today and it was a night and day difference in battery (and hoping data). But battery wise I've had my phone off of my charger for 10 hours, with moderate use and I'm at 58%. Before I turned it off I would of had to already charge it back up once.

VineRider

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
So the problem with data/battery issue is the 'sync across my devices' in the messaging app. I turned mine off today and it was a night and day difference in battery (and hoping data). But battery wise I've had my phone off of my charger for 10 hours, with moderate use and I'm at 58%. Before I turned it off I would of had to already charge it back up once.
I too can report that there is a definite difference for me in both battery and data usage after turning this off.

eagleye68

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
After testing I have to agree, the sync option is a problem for both data and battery on my phone also. Is this the option that lets you get a text or call notificaton on your PC ?

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I can confirm the same for messenger. Here is the proof before and after:

wp_ss_20160113_0002.jpg

wp_ss_20160122_0002.jpg

Until they fix this problem, skype should be off in the messenger settings...

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm the same for messenger. Here is the proof before and after:

View attachment 120895

View attachment 120897

Until they fix this problem, skype should be off in the messenger settings...

From your screenshot we can find out the following :

1) Most of the battery drain is when you use (in Use : 96.0%) the phone and not in background (Background : 4.0%)
2) Messenger shows usage of 27.9% battery, but it is FACEBOOK MESSENGER.
3) Display has been taking up 83.4% of your battery usage as you were using your phone very frequently.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
For what it's worth, I turned off 'Sync across devices' in the Messaging app settings and it seems to be back to normal. Phone is no longer warm and data/battery usage is back to normal. (for now).
I hope this turns out to be a fix, because the overheating (and slow charging) and inexplicably high data use were among the reasons for returning my 950XL. Right now my L1520 is slowly dying (touchscreen issues) so I'm considering jumping back on the 950/950XL bandwagon. Fingers cross that you guys found the main cause.

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
From your screenshot we can find out the following :

1) Most of the battery drain is when you use (in Use : 96.0%) the phone and not in background (Background : 4.0%)
2) Messenger shows usage of 27.9% battery, but it is FACEBOOK MESSENGER.
3) Display has been taking up 83.4% of your battery usage as you were using your phone very frequently.

Ohh. You are right. I did a rookie mistake again, and mixed up messenger and messaging apps :| My bad...

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
There's no HERE maps in the store - that's why I'm wondering how you got it. And the built-in MAPS app with the phone can't sync with favorites we had in the L920 HERE maps. Click the link, there's an entire post with people with the same complain.
Open the store app, open the hamburger menu and select My Library. Type "here" in the search box then select Show All. You might see two of each app. Only one will install.

Jonnny4

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Your lucky. Mine has used 10.4Gb of data 3 weeks into the billing cycle. I usually use less than 3. It's ridiculous. BTW, this was 2 different Microsoft Lumia 950 handsets so it isn't a hardware issue.

Mayur Baruah

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
data usage is not measuring the background data transfers like app download internet sharing e and other data used in background by different apps.. anyone have a solution. lumia 640 ds os: 10586.164

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss