Best case for the XL?

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I guess it's a good thing I've got a pocket for just my phone then. And this next question detracts from the topic somewhat, but the phone isn't too difficult to carry in pocket is it? I haven't had a phone larger than the ICON, so its difficult to imagine how a phone that big would feel in pocket day to day.

I always take a cautious approach, and depending on what I am doing, I try to accommodate all possible hazards.

I usually wear cargo shorts and pants, putting the phone in one of the thigh pockets. I have in some case had to put the phone in my front pocket – but I don’t like to, nor do I make it a habit. AND, I never, never put it in my back pocket (afraid I will crack the screen when sitting, although one poster wrote that the screen on the 950XL had some flex to it…I just try not to put it to the test).

When I am on the Jobsite, I use the Canvas Pouch to put the phone in (screen facing out, so if I were to smash the phone against something or drop it from high, the clip on the back of the pouch doesn’t puncture the screen). I also make sure that I put my belt through the loop of the pouch, and don’t rely on clip because it is not fool proof enough. I also leave it in the pouch when stowing it in the work vehicle I’m in, so I can’t accidently throw something on top of it (added plus, I can put the phone in the pouch, upside down so that the usb-c charging port is available…then I can charge and protect at the same time.

When I Fly, I put the phone in a backpack, or briefcase (usually use the VALKYRIE Flip Slim Wallet) and always bring the canvas pouch for emergencies at my destinations.

Around the house, I use the VALKYRIE, it adds just the right amount of protection (dogs’ tails awaggin) and looks the nicest, of the cases I currently have. Of course, I am still looking for the ultimate case.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I might try one of those pouch belt clips. It's always hard to get a gauge for how things look from pictures on Amazon, but it looks like it may do the trick.

Try and make sure to put your belt through the loop of the pouch and don’t get in the practice of relying on just the clip, because the clip design is not fool proof enough.

I have also found that I prefer the Vertical Style over the Horizonal type (horizonal seems to catch on everything for me). I have both, but have only used the horizonal, once! - of course, this is solely a matter of preference.

Redn2000

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
So from what mtf1380 and sigal-2-noise very kindly informed me of, I can find a good case but I should take into consideration the size of the phone on its own and what a case adds. As well as make sure to be cautious of how to carry the phone, just hope most of my jeans have but enough pockets.

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I encounter a lot of dirt On the job, spent my summer trying to find a solution for my "mobile" needs.
For the 950XL, I have chosen a semi hard shell PSVita zipper case.
It is large and bulky, but it fits the phone with whatever low profile case I choose for the phone to wear, several cables, ear buds, and BT devices also fit in the case.
The zipper case fits easily in the front pocket of my cargo pants and Levi jeans.
I realize this is an extreme measure, but using my Sony SBH54 BT HEADSET to issue Voice commands, while listening to music, I have been able to work for several hours without having to remove my phone from my pocket or open the zipper case.
There have been bugs, and it is not perfect yet, but hopefully the device will smooth out by the time my work moves back outside.
Right now I am painting inside, and in one move I got paint on both the front and back of the zipper case, saving my phone, and proving my "use case".

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
PSVita case inventory: OEM USB to C cable, USB to Micro USB 3" cable, AUX audio cable 3', headphone ext cable 6', wired ear buds, 2 BT devices with ear buds, a tie clip to help with wearing cables, and the phone.
Obviously I do not close the phone glass against anything hard in the case.
The long cables are all coiled neatly and secured with Velcro ties.
The spaghetti looking wires are the BT ear bud wires, the wired ear buds are in the small Zip lock bag.
I had a lot of choices to put inside the case, obviously audio is important to me.Screenshot_2016-01-17-01-47-36_1.jpg

Attachments

• P_20160117_005522.jpg
    P_20160117_005522.jpg
    752 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Redn2000

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
PSVita case

Wow, now that's some proper care and thought. If I need to do anything crazy intensive I know exactly what to go for. And on a side note, I've figured that an oeago or orzly case along with an IQ screen protector are what I'll try first. And although it won't be until next month, I'll update on which one works better.

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
This is my list for the XL.
Amazon
Microsoft Lumia 950 XL Case, Cimo [Shockproof] Case Heavy Duty Shock Absorbing Dual Layer Protection Cover for Microsoft Lumia 950 XL - Black
by Cimo Price: $5.00 + $2.98 shipping

Lumia 950XL Glass 3D Screen Protector, G-Color? 0.2mm 3D Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Microsoft Lumia 950XL with Lifetime Warranty [Color89] (Clear) by G-Color Sale: $9.99 Prime Members

Samsung 64GB EVO Class 10 Micro SDXC up to 48MB/s with Adapter (MB-MP64DA/AM) Sold by: Amazon.com LLC $16.99

Type C Cable, Nekteck Nylon Braided USB 3.1 USB-C to USB Type A Male Data & Charging Cord 1m/3.3ft for Apple Macbook 12 Inch, Nokia N1, Nexus 5x 6p, O Sold by: Nekteck Direct $13.99

I was very happy with this case while trying the XL, if the XL does not work out for you, then you are out $8 US.
Did not install the screen protector as I was not sure I would keep the XL, I did not.

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I was looking at a LifeProof Universal "Box" but it was too small.
Also checked out a Scuba "Box", too small.
Hoping for some longer Clear Boxes in the near future.

The other problem, clear "Box" covers still shut off the Glance screen as the Proximity sensor is covered.(Helps save battery and screen, as I have Glance set to always on).

If I cannot see the Glance screen anyway, it does not matter if the "Zipper Box" is opaque or clear.

The PSVista case I got at a local game shop, from the discount bin, for $10.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site

Redn2000

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
So to update, got the oaego case and the Qi shield for the screen, first thing I noticed was the top and bottom were flimsy but stayed on. The phone's keys are easy enough to get to, and it does have some grip to it. Would I recommend it? Probably the armor version, which I'll most likely be getting to see the difference.

notrichyet

May 30, 2013
Visit site
The Tudia case is very nice, I like the Amzer pudding case but the finish on the glossy edges is very poor, mold lines and marks all round. Ander is a little thinner but for quality of finish the Tudia wins hands down.

Redn2000

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
Second update, get the armor version of the oeago cases. I've already found that it doesn't collect any lint, it's very sturdy, and has a nice grip with both texture and the ribs that run along the sides. And the kickstand in the back is a nice touch too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans